KOH 2019

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by C.Berry, Feb 2, 2019.

1. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College Web Wheeler

I feel bad for Eric Miller, they left out knowing the front locker wasn’t working in that gladiator truck. Then they found out the rear locker didn’t work either. That just sounds like a long pain in the ass winch fest. Limited to 35s but d60 front and 80 rear. You know he was having a rough day.

C.Berry likes this.
  2. No fries

No fries Well-Known Member

Thankful I have three screens at work![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    78 CJ 5
    93 xJ co sponsor

broncosbybart, doc, C.Berry and 5 others like this.
  3. StretchASU

StretchASU Got a real good set of match tires on there...

1F3EC501-75C7-4CCC-ABF9-0A2F0E2109CC.jpeg

336wheeler, C.Berry, Andy J. and 2 others like this.
  4. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College Web Wheeler

[​IMG]

That sucks

C.Berry likes this.
  5. XJfreakHO

XJfreakHO Triad Trail Junkies

Haha same, but your situation is better. I have live stream on my smallest (16ish inch screen) and my 2 larger screens I am using for work (Insurance)

6. R Q

R Q Well-Known Member

Jason Shearer is winner!

trailhugger and amcjeepman like this.
  7. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

Looks like Miller was just behind him.

It always amazes me that a 6+ hour race, and it still comes down to a couple minutes between the first and second places.

8. BrianGreen

BrianGreen SSG Brian Green

Watched all day on my phone.

02272CE0-9412-40C1-A94C-E36E91251A8B.jpeg

trailhugger and C.Berry like this.
  9. C.Berry

C.Berry Bad News

I’ve missed most of the races unfortunately going to try and catch up now I seen some of backdoor section of race earlier but not very much!! Hope everyone had a good race that’s on here and good job to all that finished, the trails looks pretty beat up when I tuned in earlier tho I’m sure that was a tough race.

10. rockcity

rockcity everyday is a chance to get better

Chris May finished 18th
    Dustin finished 29th
    Randal finished 36th.

Not bad for the NC (and former NC) guys. Good job on finishing! That’s a tall order in itself.

We know Jay was out but haven’t heard on what put Bergman out. Haven’t heard of Ken’s results that put him out on lap 2.

11. amcjeepman

amcjeepman Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum Moderator

Bergman posted on instagram rear pinion bearing failure. Continued in front wheel drive to pits but found out that he went of course due to lack of 4wd and was out of the race.

rockcity likes this.
  12. Dylan W.

Dylan W. lone resident of Bro-Lite Island

I didnt schedule any jobs all week! I stayed home and watched and listened to the action all week long. I think it's awesome how far they have come with the production and allowing us to watch from all over the world.

But...I am tired of hearing Miles say.. "This is the Nitto King of the Hammers powered by Optima." He's is getting alot better at commentating though.

Congrats to all the Competitors!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  13. trailhugger

trailhugger Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Administrator

There's probably a clause where he has to say it at some interval.

Dylan W. likes this.
  14. Dylan W.

I am sure there is.

15. BRUISER

BRUISER silent.. but deadly Moderator

What a Great time. First I am very thankful for all the family and friends that helped me get ready for this year's KOH race.

We spent countless hours in the shop at home prepping the car and it was all worth it. We ran some tests runs in the whoops and we can run 45 in the whoops and it is super smooth. Can't complain doing that in an old beat up Jeep Cherokee on leafs springs.

We did have a few issues we had to fix before race day and I am very happy we found them all before the race started. We took apart the power steering I think 5 times till it was all correct. We adjusted rear air bumps which made it even smoother and faster.

Race recap: we started about Midway in our class about 8:32am and the Jeep did great all the way to the first pit. We were able to hold our own this year and Jeep felt great until about 1 mile out of pit one. We pulled in and the found lower control was loose so the pit guys tightened it up and put a take weld on it. We took off and again no big issues until close to pit 1 B where the pit crew was ready with welder and pit more weld on the arm, filled up the fuel and tightened the wheel lugs.

We set off to the main pit and again Jeep was great. We came into main and just drive straight through and back into the desert.

By this time we had some noises but nothing we were to worried about until we heard some clanking and I noticed the front was not pulling. We checked everything but could not find anything visible that was broke. So we continued on until we came to a large rock and we found the front had no pull at all. We believe we destroyed the front locker or Carrier. (we will find out when I get home and rip it apart)

At that point we just helped 6 other teams get up the rocks and continue on. We eventually built a ramp out of rocks and launched the Jeep up and over. As we created the top of the hill I made the decision to pull from the race as we still had 4 more Rock trails and with no front pulling it most likely would not have made it to the finish.

We ended up doing 106.5 miles in about 5.5 hrs. Heck of a lot better than last year. I am 100% sure if front held together we would have had a finish this year. Oh well maybe next year.

Thanks to:
    My wife Jessica and my kids
    Doug Johnson
    Kevin Shortt
    Rick O'Shea
    John Herr
    Ron Watson
    Martin Thiele
    Dave Henson
    Joe Murphy
    Scott MacIntyre
    Russ MacIntyre
    Steve Milano
    Josh Olevsky
    Justin Barney
    Ken, Donna and kids

Also thank you to my sponsor support:
    Ironman4x4Fab.com
    East Coast Gear Supply
    Rugged Radios
    Rusty's Off-Road Products
    PSC Motorsports
    BFGoodrich Tires
    Impaks Garage

Ultra4 Racing
    King of The Hammers
    Ultra4 KOH Fans

If you read this far, be on the look out for more pictures I will post over the next week.[​IMG]

pipeline, shawn, cbjeeper and 12 others like this.
  16. Dylan W.

Congrats Ken! All of you guys that go or have been to koh make me jealous!:beer:

17. karatejosh

karatejosh Well-Known Member

I appreciate you including me in that list wish I was actually helpful lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member Moderator

Couple pics from the trip. The view from a ridge line next to jack.

A467BCBC-46F7-4864-B8F1-9F01C9E39439.jpeg

The start of Emerson lake bed. It was amazing how flat and smooth out was there. Guy with us hit 102mph on his 250 dirt bike.

8C450C31-43FD-4316-B442-78A7C192AED1.jpeg

19. karatejosh

karatejosh Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] a few random pics I took the biggest thing I took away from the trip was just how big and vast the area is it’s the first place I have ever been where I felt like gps was a safety item

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shawn, tlucier and trailhugger like this.
  20. Falko

Falko Well-Known Member

From the racers perspective, I didn't like that they bent the time limit to help the Gladiator finish, but I am super jealous of Erik Miller for getting to destroy a preproduction unit that finished the race with 177 miles on the odometer.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Random shots of hammertown from Chocolate Thunder

[​IMG][​IMG]

And Backdoor was a spectacle after dark:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Jason W., Mac5005, cbjeeper and 4 others like this.
  21. Mac5005

Mac5005 Welding Instructor

Awesome meeting you out there.

I don’t like that the gladiator was the reason the time was extended,

To me the issue is that the course keeps getting harder and longer , but the time has stayed the same.

The extra hour would have given several racers time to finish. One of the guys we were putting for, would have made it on time with the extension, but bowed out before we could inform him of that.

I do understand how rules are bent when palms are greased with money, but I still don’t like that it occurred in the freaking EMC.

I mean is jeep going to step up and race the hurricane concept next year in the stock class?

What other concept cars would be viable candidates that could benefit from the exposure?

How much money does it take to enter your own pre production vehicle for a race as a mfr? Rules say 500 units for production vehicle IIRC, but this gladiator proved that wrong.

What other small run production Offroad vehicles would be sufficient candidates?

It’s a slippery slope when it affects the stock class.

I’m way too happy about the tailgate getting destroyed. I hope it was from being nerfed by someone with gigantic Cahones.

That said, it would be awesome to get factory sponsored teams and support into ultra4/EMC similar to OEM support for desert racing in the 90s...

22. BRUISER

BRUISER silent.. but deadly Moderator

pipeline, rockcity, Mac5005 and 6 others like this.
  23. Dylan W.

BRUISER likes this.
  24. paradisePWoffrd

paradisePWoffrd Recovering Project Junkie

Seeing a Rally Fighter in the EMC would be badass.

Mac5005 and Dylan W. like this.