Land Rover Series 1

It wouldnt be hard, There is an opening on the Left side for the column but I want to keep it right hand since it was imported as such and it is something different. I have found a Bronco steering gear which will work just fine to get my steering figured out.

Well it is 4WD now. I have the linkage figured out. I am not in love with the link between the Tcase and Shifters, but It works right now.

I didnt drill a hole through the shift rods, the Dana 18 has a notch the original shifters indexed. I ended up cutting a small piece of steel and drill and tapped a hole in it. It fits into the notch on the shift rods, and I slid over the tubing and used a bolt to hold the threaded piece in place. Locking it so i can remote the shifters
wjiqr2N.jpg

I am going to source some thinner top bolts for this, but right now there are no issues with interference. I am going to add a tack weld to bolt and tube to make sure it doesnt come off.

Then added the tab so i can connect the links to the tcase
Wah4dcP.jpg

Finished product.
hGSFnt7.jpg

Everything shifts fine, I need to drill some holes in the bolts holding the linkage to put cotter pins and add a bracket to hold the out edge of the main bolt holding the shifters to brace it better.

ok
1) awesome build
2) deets on the flatty truck thing in background

It was a CJ3a that came off a hunting lease. The rear bed was really well made. i was going to store it to get it running but found out the intake was full of water and the engine was locked up. It went to a new home in augusta last week.

I will look into that. i do not have much meat on the dana 18 shifter ends to go any bigger hole for a bushing, but i can look. The way this thing is constructed i dont think there is gonna be any way for it to be silent... even from the factory hahaha

It was a CJ3a that came off a hunting lease. The rear bed was really well made. i was going to store it to get it running but found out the intake was full of water and the engine was locked up. It went to a new home in augusta last week.
Damn that sucks. I would love to get something like that and drop an xj drivetrain in it.

Accomplished a quick little job tonight. It is those little things that are not glamorous in a build, but it goes a long way for functionality. The steering wheel is large and in charge and my legs have a hard time slipping under it to get in the seat. I notched the column bracket an inch and was able to get a whole lot of room to get in and out. I did not want to get rid of the original steering wheel for a smaller one.

The offending bracket notched
TQS0Cvg.jpg

The steering wheel position after. Lots of leg room and i dont even have fat legs.
kqkTUWO.jpg

FrmaIrE.jpg

pJopkbs.jpg

Now I cant wait to get my steering box so i can attach the steering column and move the wheels :)

I got my Steering gear last night. It is a 1978/79 Bronco box. with the reverse rotation box, i wont have an ugly box hanging out in front of the grill. I will have to modify the inner fenders a touch. It fits nice. Now to order my pieces to connect the box to the steering column

7sp5mkI.jpg

13nfwoi.jpg

fA0csLg.jpg

I got my Steering gear last night. It is a 1978/79 Bronco box. with the reverse rotation box, i wont have an ugly box hanging out in front of the grill. I will have to modify the inner fenders a touch. It fits nice. Now to order my pieces to connect the box to the steering column

Nice meeting you the other night...even if it was for all of 30 seconds! Steering box looks right at home in there.

I hope it was a quick enough exchange for you :) I was telling my daughter why we were early, because you were traveling far and i know with that drive as quick as a pitstop is important. Glad your baby didnt wake up :)
Thanks!!

I hope it was a quick enough exchange for you :) I was telling my daughter why we were early, because you were traveling far and i know with that drive as quick as a pitstop is important. Glad your baby didnt wake up :)
Thanks!!

Yea man, it worked out perfectly! Thanks again.

The steering gear is mounted. The Bronco box really fits nice. I am rally happy that the front end still looks clean without a gear box out in front of the crossmember. It hides up real nice behind the grill.
R24dFwb.jpg

F493uVD.jpg

QiPEjfs.jpg

bB54zo4.jpg

7ZIIOsG.jpg

Now just waiting for some funds to free up to buy parts to attach to the column.

So I got some goodies today
zNf0YH1.jpg

Not pictured is the nice shiny aluminium radiator.

I also got my steering bits. Now the column is connected to the steering gear.
KyLkngr.jpg

Next up is to mount the brake and clutch, fab the pedals. Then i will order the tie rods for the Land Cruiser and find some tires so i can swap in the axles and make it a roller again.

Hey Dan, looking good! Any idea what size the fitting is on your clutch master cylinder? Pretty sure I got the same one from Speedway and I am trying to figure out what I need.

the MC was an adapter from pipe thread to flare thread. i also ordered a hose to go with it, BUT i was putting things together earlier and it looked like the adapter is a metric thread. The flared fitting would not thread correctly to it, but it threaded fine on the slave. All is not lost, since the hose came with an AN to pipe thread adapter. I am going to remove the adapter that came with the MC and put the AN adapter in its place.

this is the hose
AFCO 40280 Clutch Slave Hose Kit

Here is another pic of the steering with the fender on
KJwAkFI.jpg

Now to play with some big bling
cJyD4Cr.jpg

Mocking it up in the engine bay.
6SLcJNa.jpg

XE3BHWN.jpg

uSuZUew.jpg

The radiator is a hard one to figure out. This one had the best potential. It fits in the area, but I will need to notch the mounting brackets to clear the headlight buckets and possibly i will have to try to shorten the headlight buckets to try and get some more room. I have plenty of room between the engine and the radiator, but i have an issue with the top hone connection. It is extremely close to the alternator, so close the hose is gonna contact it. I will probably have to take the radiator to a weld shop to either angle it inward so clear or i may have to put a 90 degree addition to the tube. The bottom also has a little bit of a problem because it is real close to the engine hose connection that i have to be creative with hose, or do a short section of hose and make a steel or aluminum angle tube and connect it with the short section. I do have plenty of room in the front for a big honkin electric fan. This radiator i got from Eastwood Company and it is rated for a chevy v8, so it should cool just fine for the V6 .

I think i got some more room for the radiator. The 90 degree hose i think will get me going. i still need to mix and match to get stuff to work
4ErzEYp.jpg

zIMBBOD.jpg

I ended up cutting out an 1 1/2 out of the headlight buckets. and cut out some of the top of the mount brackets. I will later cap the back with a piece plastic to keep the elements out.

The stupid things i get happy about
a0VfSX0.jpg

I finally got some headlights in the grill. :)

Things happened today
Radiator is installed. I have enough room for the upper radiator hose. The radiator is angled forward, but it will be like that to get the room i need.
kfiLW3e.jpg

IIYPiui.jpg

fjyLpQk.jpg

Tss5H7r.jpg

Hxu8tOi.jpg

Looks like it belongs in there ;)
u5rokSF.jpg

Now i have the rear FJ40 axle staged and ready to go under. That will be tomorrows project.
yLTecrV.jpg

8uPHUs1.jpg

I was afraid the rims i got were not going to have enough offset, but looking at the original Rover wheels offset and the fact the Cruiser axles are a touch wider. The tires are only outside of the tub a touch and it will look good. The tires are 285/75/16.

Out wit the old and rusty, and in with the newish
ugwd9Ff.jpg

It does have a differnt stance with the wider tires and wider axle. The rims are 16x7 and the Toyota IFS offset is going to work fine. I am not happy with the look of the rims, but they will have to work for now.
DoDKhwV.jpg

6yJ2zS9.jpg

EZbBqlW.jpg

I hit a bit of a snag. The cruiser pumpkin is close to the spring perch and i am having a hard time getting a ubolt over it. With the pinion angle i am going for, the housing is interfering. I will have to work on this, i hope i dont have to outboard the spring mounts.

I got both axles installed an kind of rolling.

For the rear axle issue i had with the ubolt not fitting over, i did a ubolt eliminator setup on one side and ubolted the other. I do not have the perch welded to the axle, i need to figure out my pinion angles first, but it is under the rig.
qzT8AqP.jpg

Rolled out into the sunlight to compare the wider tires to the original ones and see how far it sits outside of the tub. I am not a huge fan of the rims, but they will have to do for now.
Ua9m2TR.jpg

pYnsflC.jpg

r6wOJQT.jpg

yvIfL6T.jpg

pyGnsQe.jpg

A7nVziP.jpg

OWB3vps.jpg

The front axle got pulled out. Bye Bye drum brakes
onaz4FK.jpg

New axle going in. I had to do the same thing in front as I did in the rear and make a mount with one ubolt and one set to use bolts. Also not welded on, i have to remove the spring perch and take off some material and do the front pinion and caster angle. The steering actually bolts up nicey, but i still have to replace the toyota TRE to the Bronco steering box. It sits in there but it is too small. But i can say it steers now :)
BLlJ0FL.jpg

sSClVwB.jpg

jS0fpaf.jpg

TI2d6K6.jpg

So had a scare this afternoon. I tried to push the Rover farther into the garage so i can cleanup and it did not want to move. It acted like it was locked up. It did spin for a little bit and made loud clicking sound. I pulled the axle flanges thinking it was a bad birfield, it was still locked. Pulled the tire and it spun, but the other side was locked. Turned it was not a bad axle joint or differential. The wheels i am using, even though they are 16 inch diameter, i have the steering arm contacting the rim. So I need to find a set of 1/2 inch spacer to let me be able to move it around, or maybe a few washers just so i can roll it around until i can get different wheels. Now to sell off the old axle and wheels/tires.

Back