Land Rover Series 1

Exhaust is done except for the tailpipe. I can now start reassembling the Rover.

rdz2to6.jpg

LweEos8.jpg

Exhaust is done. Added the rest of the exhaust behind the muffler and wrapped the exhaust in a few spots to try and keep things happy next to the exhaust
7CciLsQ.jpg

WZTg8xm.jpg

ls6X894.jpg

With some help I got the Bulkhead back on and i hung the doors to just see how it looks in the sunlight . :)
tJfJqIb.jpg

ANtRmic.jpg

m6QkNL7.jpg

7Cwq4zj.jpg

uWOyUpK.jpg

vYPpAc9.jpg

SDMihl6.jpg

Next I am going to remount the winch, it interferes with the grill now, once i put the headlights in :(
and work on getting the fuel system up to snuff.

I got it out into the sun today. it will be nice to eventually be able to drive it out of the garage instead of pushing it.
I finished the rear end install. Set the pinion angle and welded the perches on and welded on the shock mounts. Everything is now bolted up.
Driveshafts are bolted up.

shLL9dO.jpg

OTXwBqC.jpg

kRgWm7G.jpg

Q9jztMv.jpg

uLSEdvJ.jpg

ziaPAh1.jpg

I55KGIC.jpg

CpwAnjt.jpg

I will be starting the wiring soon. i have the fuel system lines run, just need to get a fuel resistant fuel pump harness to get the pump ready for wiring. Then get a fuel filter inline and make some brackets to hold my fuel and power steering hard lines.

Not that much done today, but i did decide on where to put my electrical heart of the vehicle.
There is a fairly large storage box under the passenger seat. I am able to fit the battery, Engine ECM and the fuse block
nIHSjH4.jpg

HBHARn2.jpg

I can hide it all in there and keep the technology hidden so it still seems a bit vintage . ;)

Well i have slacked off. Been busy working and the decision to slow down with the wiring, has been reeeeaaally slow. I have the computer harness lengthened and roughly ran across the botor, but that is about it.

BUT
I did splurge and got myself the rear seats for my Christmas present to myself.
2xDswpE.jpg

wgKNZWe.jpg

I need to get off my arse to finish up, this time change is still killing me and taking out whatever motivation i have after work :(

Going a little slower than the two weeks the last post said . :(

BUT I do have my lights working

WkWDXn0.jpg

2gw6Jq0.jpg

I do need to troubleshoot the front left turn signal, it is not working, but the rest are.

The electric fan works and i had a click at the starter relay. I then realized that i did not lengthen the main cable from starter to the battery, so that is why it did not crank . ;)

Next i need to put the ECM in and plug it in and pray i do not fry it and then chase the fuel pump wiring because i did not have it turn on with the key. Baby steps but real close to putting fluids in and giving it a crack at starting

I started adding fluids to the systems.
Clutch is filled and bled
Brakes are filled and i had to replace the rear wheel cylinders (FJ40 has two cylinders per side) still need to bleed some more, pedal is still soft.
Replaced the spark plugs and wires
This weekend i will put the ECM in and see if it blows up.

I also found my wheels for the Rover
Toyota T100
Old rims

New Rims
oFj6Tec.jpg

Going to look a bit more original... if that is possible with this build :)

Added some paint today
GyPaGYj.jpg

mmtxyok.jpg

Now I need to find some 33x12.50x15 tires since the the wheels on the truck are 16".

The next MCJ meeting you attend and plan for driving this thing to.... Count me in! I'll be in mine. I got a lot of catching up to do. Beers on me.

This thing has come so far and the build is epically impressive! Every time I see an update I can’t help but think of Ace Ventura! I can’t wait to see this thing getting down the road and tackling some trails!
upload_2019-3-20_20-50-25.gif

Last edited:
All the fluids have been checked and topped off.
I added some fuel today to see if this thing will roar.
At first i found a small leak at the fuel outlet on the tank, quickly fixed.
Tried again and the engine burped like it was out of time.
Checked again and found out i was off 1 wire because this is a post 1988 4.3L and had it set to an early version.
Tried it but the battery was too weak.

Charged for an hour

https://i.imgur.com/4WpQuji.mp4

What a beautiful sound
https://i.imgur.com/YlrdnVR.mp4

Just need to bleed the brakes so it can stop and i will be ready to test it on the road.

Tonight was the first drive!!!

https://i.imgur.com/pkTjSSn.mp4

It did fine going around the block. I was a touch scared and had a fire extinguisher with me. I did have some clutch fluid leak on the exhaust wrap so i didnt want it to catch on fire.
Power steering turns perfect.
The brakes are still a double pumper but at least i know it is most likely some bubbles in the line still. But it does stop real nice when pressurized.

It is a different experience when driving on the right hand side. :)

Just when you think things are going good.

So i am still fighting the brakes, i went to the correct size MC and still do not have the brakes I want.

I pulled my pedals and went back over the ratio. For manual brakes i need 6:1, i had 5:1 because i changed something a while ago. I redid my mounting and i am at 6.1:1. That is where i am not, but i took a brake from that (no pun intended) and went to install my new rear driveshaft.

Well i pulled the flange and a bunch of oil came out that was trapped between the flanges. So i went to install a new seal. Popped the old one out and hammered the new one in. I put the yoke on and the pinion barely comes through the flange. WTF!!! I know i did tap the pinion once with teh hammer when putting in the seal, but nothing that should have pushed it through. So it is time to pull the 3rd member.

This being a FJ40 rear axle, it is a C Clip design. Kind of odd having a cover on the Toyota axle.

So I drained the oil and it was real gnarly.

9cqF5Vq.jpg

I ran my finger on the bottom of the housing and it was like gritty mud . :( No pieces but literally felt like dirt was in there.

There was some rust on the cover and on carrier, but nothing bad or unusable.

Odd seeing just an empty void in the housing

2t1043V.jpg

3rd on the bench

wOMn2Zp.jpg

The bearings did not look that bad. What i did not like is the pinion gear slides in and out of the outer bearing relatively easy. When originally pulling the flange i did notice the pinion nut was waaaaaayyyyy loose. it only stayed on because it was staked.

What I also noticed the 3rd did not have a crush sleeve, or have a solid spacer for shims. So the previous owner was into it and i guess decided to not put any preload in on the pinion. So i am going to get a rebuild kit and put it back together correct. I think the worst thing about it all, besides the smell or gear oil an mess, is the ratio of the ring and pinion is 3.70. But the tires are not huge and with the V6 it runs fine. Now to order a rebuild kit and have at it. Then i can finally try the brakes out again.

Last edited:
. I think the worst thing about it all, besides the smell or gear oil an mess, is the ratio of the ring and pinion is 3.70. But the tires are not huge and with the V6 it runs fine.

You could put some feelers out to some FJ40 guys. I know the "resto" crowd of those guys want the 3.70 gears for highway driving and swap with people with earlier 4.10 3rds. Careful with pre 78 setups though, they have corse spline pinions that are more prone to shearing than fine spline pinions.

Back