Lawn and Landscape

I didn't put lime down this year and probably only put it down maybe twice in the last 15 years. I tried to get a guy in who gave me a quote to limb up all my trees but he ghosted me, and I couldn't wait for him so I ended up putting seed down 1 week before Helene. What a dilemma, we wanted trees for shade due to the heat now that we have them I want grass LOL Plus the two trees we chose, suck up a ton of water River Birch and the Willow Oak but we like both of them.

I'll have to check the starter Fert I put down, after the test sample. But I'll stick with 34-0-0 in the spring and summer?
Are you trying to grow warm season grass? Not sure if any of the values matter between warm season and cool season grasses?

Are you trying to grow warm season grass? Not sure if any of the values matter between warm season and cool season grasses?
Fescue
But I have all kinds of things other than Fescue, Houses behind me have centipede that creeps into my yard, one had some Bermuda but mostly weeds either side of me all creep into my yard.

Houses behind me have centipede that creeps into my yard
flame thrower fire GIF

I've experienced something this year that I have never seen before. I reseeded my lawn in early September. We had a lot of rain over the following weeks. At one point I didn't want to walk on my lawn because it was so soggy. A lot of the new grass died shortly after. I think we had so much rain that it suffocated the baby grass.

This year I have noticed a lot more ant hills in my yard than in years past. I'll sprinkle the magic fairy dust on top of the hills, and then a couple days later I'll notice that those hills are no longer active, but there is a new hill several feet away. They are primarily on the sides of my concrete driveway. I think they are all up under the driveway. It sounds kinda hollow when I drive on it. And I'm starting to notice more cracks in the concrete than years past. I have A LOT of driveway, so I need to find a way to eradicate these MF's. Any suggestions?

This year I have noticed a lot more ant hills in my yard than in years past. I'll sprinkle the magic fairy dust on top of the hills, and then a couple days later I'll notice that those hills are no longer active, but there is a new hill several feet away. They are primarily on the sides of my concrete driveway. I think they are all up under the driveway. It sounds kinda hollow when I drive on it. And I'm starting to notice more cracks in the concrete than years past. I have A LOT of driveway, so I need to find a way to eradicate these MF's. Any suggestions?

One of the properties I take care of has the same problem. Had a few hills last year, and managed with the magic dust from Lowe's. Tried it again last week and having the same issue as you. Would love some advice from the pros!

We had an invasion of cicada killers this year, counted close to a dozen nests in the yard. What does my dog do? Piss down every hole and would shit right next to them :laughing:

I have seen them flying around in years past, but never had them nest in my yard.

I had the same issue a few years ago. I would fill the holes up with brake clean and torch it. They just moved. I went out everyday with the dust and eventually that worked I guess. Then I had a rabbit problem. That’s gone, now it’s frogs and a mole wearing my yard out.

I didn't put lime down this year and probably only put it down maybe twice in the last 15 years. I tried to get a guy in who gave me a quote to limb up all my trees but he ghosted me, and I couldn't wait for him so I ended up putting seed down 1 week before Helene. What a dilemma, we wanted trees for shade due to the heat now that we have them I want grass LOL Plus the two trees we chose, suck up a ton of water River Birch and the Willow Oak but we like both of them.

I'll have to check the starter Fert I put down, after the test sample. But I'll stick with 34-0-0 in the spring and summer?
No 34-0-0 is too much nitrogen. Early spring app maybe an 18-1-5 with pre em and second round in May maybe 13-0-5 with pre em. I'm completely changing my program and going to a different supplier and I don't have next year's numbers yet. You can use some 34-0-0 as your winter app around thanksgiving.

I've experienced something this year that I have never seen before. I reseeded my lawn in early September. We had a lot of rain over the following weeks. At one point I didn't want to walk on my lawn because it was so soggy. A lot of the new grass died shortly after. I think we had so much rain that it suffocated the baby grass.
I had Grey Leaf Spot attack some of my new seedling grass on a couple jobs and I did an emergency fungicide app on Friday. It could have been that or the grass was so waterlogged that it couldn't take up nutrients and died. Its been a way crazy year.

What you guys say? I know what many say, along with This Old House/Ask This Old House. But danged if I don't see so many "I did it My way". Mulch around trees: What's right, What's wrong? Here's two different examples, but I took two pics of the High mounds & one pic of a flat [near flat] cover. If I'd had time, it would have been better for me to climb down out of the ol dump truck. I toured some of a neighborhood today, & it looked like every homeowner did their own Personal thing!
Rodney, the high mounds are referred to as "mulch volcanos". The tree may be planted a little high that helps cause this or the mulch can be piled on too high. But with these volcanos they did the right thing and pulled the mulch away from the trunk of the tree, which if left like that, will harm the tree. The flatter mulched trees are okay but they could have the mulch pulled away from the trunk if they are over and inch or so deep.

Back