Let’s talk Rifle Scopes

Ibayne

So wifey bought me a Remington 700 SpS Tactical 308 for my birthday. Been looking at scopes most of the day an having a hard time deciding. I’ll say that I’m a Nikon fan but wanting something different. I feel this rifle can hunt and maybe play in some shooting competitions. Now I know there’s some shooters on here so here’s the question. Which one andwhy
Athlon Argos or Helos
Sig Sauer Tango 4
Vortex Viper or Strike Eagle
Seems like I’m leaning towards 6.5x20x50... comments, questions, opposing viewpoints welcome

Leupold. I can find out what model we used but the scope picture was crisp at 1000yds. That was almost 20 years ago though. Things may have changed since then

Athlon are good optics too, I have an Argos and would put it up against a Buckmaster or Prostaff anyday. Also look at the Primary Arms offerings in FFP, their newer offerings come with a lifetime warranty same as Athlon and Vortex.

The PA ACSS reticle is one of the best BDC reticles out right now.

For plinking Ive got various models.
For when it counts, for me, Leuopold or Zeiss

The clarity of any $250-1k scope is going to be about the same, the real issue with the cheaper or the higher priced to make you feel better but still cheap optics is going to be the tracking. Buy the largest objective and main tube diameter you can, don't go over 20x and don't listen to any of the reviews online because they are for the most part non objective bullshit. Also, FFP is cool and all but pretty useless for the vast majority and most times harder to use --save some money and buy a sfp version of whatever you're looking at.

That being said, on the low priced but good scale vortex sells just as much cheap import shit as they do great optics -- save some money and get a pst2.

Nightforce look at there shv line first focal plain if your on a budget. Athlon, vortex and primary arms all make good optics I’m just partial to nightforce.

I'm not one for celebrity endorsements of any sort.

But Chris Pratt rocks Vortex.

And if it's good enough for Star Lord....

DXHzFENXcAEs6_1.jpg:large

I run Vortex. Crisp and clear and they just work. Lifetime warranty and great customer service.

leupold!! or vortex. When I was taught to shoot the 700 308 as a kid I was told if you spent 750* on ya gun spend more on your scope... it’s never failed me going with that lesson I’ve only used one vortex tho but was nice for price and seem rugged but I’ve never had a leupold let me down on my 300,30/30,308,243...and I use to trek in very rough app mtn terrain dragging gun through trees over rocks etc not once has my leupold not stayed true sight! I wish I still had all those damn guns lol

Vortex scopes are awesome, but I wonder if their fine reticles might be hard to see/aim on game while hunting near dawn and dusk or shadows?

Vortex scopes are awesome, but I wonder if their fine reticles might be hard to see/aim on game while hunting near dawn and dusk or shadows?
I believe they addressed this with a scope design last year I’d have to look back tho to make sure it was vortex tho!

You need to answer two questions.
What distances are you going to be shooting? Be honest

And how much is your max amount to spend on optic, mount, and base?

Once you answer these some people can give you some more dialed in recomendations instead of spouting out brands.

I have used mine in precision matches in low light and horrible weather. Never had an issue. Most are illuminated so that makes a huge difference in being able to see them in poor conditions.

I'm not sure if any other manufacturer has a better warranty than Vortex.

No questions asked. You can lay it in the street and run over it and they will send you a ne one. No receipt and it is good for whomever owns it.

You need to answer two questions.
What distances are you going to be shooting? Be honest

And how much is your max amount to spend on optic, mount, and base?

Once you answer these some people can give you some more dialed in recomendations instead of spouting out brands.

So max amount is 500 I’ve found a Vortex strike eagle an a viper in that range.
I have a vortex crossfire on my 35 marlin but it’s only 1x4.
Max range I’ll be shooting, who knows. My brother in law shoots PRS an we play at his house. He shoot 800 yard at his house. But we don’t go often enough to buy a scope just for that. I just feel like this is a really nice gun for me an I’d like to put a nicer scope on it. My guts telling me to try the 6.5x20x50 strike eagle.
An the FFP I’m on the fence about it. Have tons of scopes without it an been fine. Guy told me this morning that I hunt coyotes with he has a hard time at night with his FFP. Says in the dark the he struggles with it.... so that answers that question. I’ll be hunting at night with this scope an rifle

No such thing as a budget on your glass you make the budget for the rifle... lol just sayin! :beer:

I have a Vortex Spitfire 3X on a .223, a Diamondback HP on a .308, and a Strike Eagle 1-8x24 on a .300 BLK pistol I just built. I can't say a bad thing about any of them. I'm in the process of putting together a .30-06 and it will also have a Vortex on top of it. I also just purchased their Ranger 1300 range finder. Their lifetime warranty even covers the electronic side of the range finder. They put a post on instagram showing a guys binoculars that he dropped in a fire and they replaced them without question. Also, if you have any kind of Public Service affiliation, Optics Planet will give you 40% off MSRP for Vortex. You have to call them to get this pricing.

I have a Vortex Spitfire 3X on a .223, a Diamondback HP on a .308, and a Strike Eagle 1-8x24 on a .300 BLK pistol I just built. I can't say a bad thing about any of them. I'm in the process of putting together a .30-06 and it will also have a Vortex on top of it. I also just purchased their Ranger 1300 range finder. Their lifetime warranty even covers the electronic side of the range finder. They put a post on instagram showing a guys binoculars that he dropped in a fire and they replaced them without question. Also, if you have any kind of Public Service affiliation, Optics Planet will give you 40% off MSRP for Vortex. You have to call them to get this pricing.
The 40% makes life a lot easier... I think it’s gonna be the strike eagle

Back