Let’s talk Rifle Scopes

I had picked this one out for a savage 10 I've been eyeballing. Thoughts?
Screenshot_2018-12-10-14-55-10.png

Nightforce - great results. Holds zero in terrible conditions

However, regarding Optics. Some key features to look at
>the more lenses, the more fail points for holding zero
>durability, fixed will be better than variable
>optical clarity, contingent on how lens quality and lens alignment and less number of lens (aka most expensive for variable)
>fixed and less lens, less light split, more light transmission (clarity)
>Reticle issues for variable scopes: consider your ranging reticle and units you need (mil/moa) and precision you need. Your reticle needs to be the first focal point, first plane. (in variable scopes, fixed doesnt matter). If its not first, the ranging reticle in the variable scope in a second plane the picture and the reticle will not change together, rendering the ranging reticle useless. If its in the first plane, the reticle will change proportional to the picture. Second plane reticles are common in varmint scopes (range not needed, no mil/moa needed).
>Mag Consistency: Most Military pick fixed for consistency, which is key for repeated results in ranging environments. relatable: think hunting.
>Field of View - the higher the mag, the smaller the picture

These all lend to a fixed scope. A $1k fixed is going to be a world class scope (general), while an equal $1k value variable is going to be low on the quality. If you want variable, you should be prepared to spend some coin.

Some Mag suggestions:

Military Preference, Sniper Etc
Straight 10x = 100 - 1200 meters, no need for higher
Effective overall, slightly limited field of view at max range

Extreme Ranges
1000 - 2000+ Meters
Maybe 16x, requires HIGH quality glass, $$$$

Police and SWAT Type
100 or less meters average range
Varmint style scopes, 2nd focal plane not a hindrance.
Variable Power

Long Range Hunting
Large Game - 6 to 10x straight
Medium Game, Moving Game - Fixed 4x, maybe 10x for Large moving
Varmint, Coyote, Etc Moving - 4x or 6x fixed

So wifey bought me a Remington 700 SpS Tactical 308 for my birthday. Been looking at scopes most of the day an having a hard time deciding. I’ll say that I’m a Nikon fan but wanting something different. I feel this rifle can hunt and maybe play in some shooting competitions. Now I know there’s some shooters on here so here’s the question. Which one andwhy
Athlon Argos or Helos
Sig Sauer Tango 4
Vortex Viper or Strike Eagle
Seems like I’m leaning towards 6.5x20x50... comments, questions, opposing viewpoints welcome
I have 2 of the primary arms on on. 308 bolt, and on on 6.5 creedmore

SWFA SS scopes are built by Light Optic Works in Japan and are very rugged and well built. The original 10x was indeed selected and used by the mil.

Have a look at Nightforce with a critical eye and notice on sites where optical performance is valued above all else there are more NF scope for sale used than any other brand.

The under $1500 range is pretty much a level playing field among top brands with different models being better at different things and for different purposes.

Once you get into the $3000 area you begin to see what real money gets you, but is it worth it? Only you can answer that.

A certain Russian bolt action with a very crude optic was very effective in the early 40s.

Once at the level of “rugged” and with good optical performance, the incremental differences more money brings is small to 99% of users.

Trijicon. There are models that you won't have to sell any kids to buy. Next, Vortex. Apples and Oranges in terms of fit for purpose. Nuff said...

I had picked this one out for a savage 10 I've been eyeballing. Thoughts?
View attachment 281771
I have this scope on a $1100 Kidd 22. It allowed me to shoot subsonic 22 to 400 yards this spring and dial in 23 mils of elevation with a 20moa rail. That is a 22 dropping 280 inches at only 400 yards LOL. It has plenty of travel for 308 to 1000+.

Scope has a lot of dialing available, tracks good and is repeatable. For the money it is mechanically great if obviously not superb optically. For out to 500+ on steel it is fine. Maybe much longer if you have nice young eyes.

Long range 22 is more fun than any other fixed place shooting I have ever done.

6176D260-1398-4303-B79B-26AD4E4DC1A5.jpeg

Back