Let’s talk Rifle Scopes

So you say that you want to hunt with it. That would keep me away from the 6.5-20 strike eagle.

Unless you are ranging targets on the fly with your reticle you dont need FFP.

Are you banging steel at distance or shooting distance on paper and need to dial for elevation and wind calls?

If your going to hunt with it in the woods id look in the 3-16 range. I prefer a 40mm bell so I can keep it mounted nice and low and if its a 30mm tube it will collect just as much light as a 50mm bell. Now if your going to field hunt you can probably get away with that 6.5 min power.

Personally I think the bigger strike eagle has had to have cut some corners compared to the viper thats simalar magnafication but double the price.

Id lower the magnifaction and get a more quality glass or wait and save up for the big dog. Do you have a prostaff or something kicking around to bang some rounds and identity some ammo it likes while you save more if your deadset on higher magnification.

If your budget is 500 take a look at swfa online the ss scopes they sell from Japan are awesome for the price. The only vortex I’d ever run is a razor, I’ve been using my Nightforce NXS for the last 6 months and it has me ruined. If you ever get used to really nice glass it spoils you.

If your going to hunt with it in the woods id look in the 3-16 range.

Yup. I'd go so far as to say any 3-8x40 or 3-10x40 should do most anything you want in the woods, and good to 300 yards in the open.

I don't know shit about Vortex, except that I was shopping for binoculars to replace a pair of my brother in law's that the kids broke. I was trying to decide between two others, told the salesman the story, and he explained the Vortex warranty. Sold.

If your budget is 500 take a look at swfa online the ss scopes they sell from Japan are awesome for the price. The only vortex I’d ever run is a razor, I’ve been using my Nightforce NXS for the last 6 months and it has me ruined. If you ever get used to really nice glass it spoils you.
I did check these out on the Internet. Guess there kinda like the Athlon. I’ve never heard of them. Everyone likes Nightforce but man they high. They do have a government/public safety program I’ll check into. If the price is right that might be an option

I did check these out on the Internet. Guess there kinda like the Athlon. I’ve never heard of them. Everyone likes Nightforce but man they high. They do have a government/public safety program I’ll check into. If the price is right that might be an option
Actually the ss scopes have been around since the early 90’s built to government specs for seal teams and other elite operations forces.

I’ll have to check them out more. It’s just hard to belive what internet reviews an YouTube says. That’s why I like hearing from you guys.

I have had good luck with used scopes as well. Leupold VX-3i A.O. Rifle Scope 4.5-14X40mm Matte ~Mint~ | eBay

hard to beat their warranty.

Leupold Full Lifetime Guarantee

If your Leupold riflescope, binocular, or spotting scope doesn’t perform, we will repair or replace it for free - whether you're the original owner or not. You don’t need proof of ownership or a warranty card, and there’s no time limit.

So I personally think the SS scopes are grossly overrated, I don't know what forum started that but they are in line with any tasco or bushnell in that price range. That being said, I have a pretty mint swfa SS 16x that you can have if you want.

Attachments

• 20181208_185903.jpg
    20181208_185903.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 139
I have no complaints about my regular ol 3-9x40 leupold. I don't really care for killing paper other than a little practice and to make sure my rifle is still on before the season so I'm no authority. But, I've never shot at a deer with it on my rifle and not killed it. That's all I need

So I personally think the SS scopes are grossly overrated, I don't know what forum started that but they are in line with any tasco or bushnell in that price range. That being said, I have a pretty mint swfa SS 16x that you can have if you want.
If your giving one away I’ll gladly pay shipping unless you got a lemon I just don’t understand

Great..... when you think you get it nailed down someone will pop up with another opinion...that’s what I like about real world people. I want more than Tasco for sure. If they’re no better than that I’ll go back to Nikon

Totally unrelated but I've got an older BAR 30.06 with a Tasco world class on it. Scope stays because it was grandpas.

It's not great at funneling light but it's 30 years old and it's still crystal clear and consistent.

My honest opinion is I don't shoot well enough period.....
For some reason I can shoot the crap out of a pistol. Riffle, very average.

My honest opinion is I don't shoot well enough period.....
For some reason I can shoot the crap out of a pistol. Riffle, very average.
I'm the opposite :lol: I'm fair at best with a pistol. Put a rifle in my hands and I'm up to decent.

Totally unrelated but I've got an older BAR 30.06 with a Tasco world class on it. Scope stays because it was grandpas.

It's not great at funneling light but it's 30 years old and it's still crystal clear and consistent.

I have one of that vintage I think it was $40 new. It worked fine on the Sav. 99 for years. I only changed it out for a scope w more FOV.

I'm a fan of Nikon, I have 3 scopes and a rangefinder and they all work fine for hunting deer. I like the generous FOV, brightness, and price.I also like how the reticle will turn gold if I move my eye slightly from center. It makes it easier to see the crosshairs near dark or find the spot on a shaded deer that's blending in w the shadows and background.

Almost unrelated, bought a BSA scope (haven't seen another for sale since) for about $60, mounted it on my sr-22, for a cheap scope I've been nothing but pleased. optics are very crisp, hasn't rattled apart like several swift scopes I've had on 22s that have had 1000's of rounds fired thru them.

Lots of good info here. I, i mean a guy I know, I mean a random guy I saw at the gas station whom ive never met before, just got a ruger 6.5 cm and he is shopping for a new scope. He took his simmons 3-9x50 off his pos 742 for the time being while he decides what to buy.
IMG8737667621787259654.jpg
IMG6203318228833677222.jpg

That mount is way too high o_O
I just wanted to shoot it and it was that or an eotech so... Trying to pick out quality glass for it.

Well the search is done. Got a buddy that sells reloading equipment, he priced me one way way cheaper than anywhere else I could find.... so a SigSauer Tango4 it is. I’ve put my hands on these an looked thru them. I’m pleased with the decision for sure

Well the search is done. Got a buddy that sells reloading equipment, he priced me one way way cheaper than anywhere else I could find.... so a SigSauer Tango4 it is. I’ve put my hands on these an looked thru them. I’m pleased with the decision for sure

Which one did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back