Lets See a Pic of Your tow rig and trailer.

Loaded up the buggy to take it to @DirkaDirka875 and get the wiring done.

PXL_20220608_190050940.jpg

Couldn't remember if I have ever posted in this thread, but recently sold my 2015 Sierra and got a dedicated tow rig / tool truck again. 2005 yukon xl 2500 6.0 Quadrasteer. It's a shame the QS never caught on...

View attachment 374264
If they took that package a step further and put about a 4-5 liter Duramax in those, it would be the ultimate family hauler.

If they took that package a step further and put about a 4-5 liter Duramax in those, it would be the ultimate family hauler.
There's a company in GA that converts them. A few have come up for sale that I've really had to think about, but the 6.0 does what I need it to do. And every vehicle I own has a gen3 5.3 or 6.0 in it and I have a spare...

There's a company in GA that converts them. A few have come up for sale that I've really had to think about, but the 6.0 does what I need it to do. And every vehicle I own has a gen3 5.3 or 6.0 in it and I have a spare...
Yeah the Duraburbs and similar are cool. But you don't need a 6.6 Liter for what most people pull with a Tahoe/Yukon. GM could have put a slightly smaller diesel in them and gotten mid-20s mpg and sold the heck out of em. Combine that with quadrasteer and you'd have the most practical big SUV ever. But people don't like "different" so the whole idea of quadrasteer was already too much for the market :(

Nobody in significant enough numbers wants a diesel family hauler. Everything on it would be more expensive and complicated. No soccer mom wants to find diesel around town.

Perfect family hauler? A minivan. Not a tahoe, not a suburban, not a 4 door pickup, not an expedition.

Perfect family hauler?
Nope, I said ;)
ultimate family hauler.

Regardless...
Perfect family hauler? A minivan. Not a tahoe, not a suburban, not a 4 door pickup, not an expedition.
To each his own. My wife has a minivan. It is great for carrying people and stuff. Poor fuel economy, not suited for towing.

In my opinion, a vehicle with the space of a Yukon XL and with quadrasteer would be extremely practical because it would be huge but maneuverable. Add in a midsize diesel powerplant to take it from 15mpg up to about 23mpg, and with enough power to pull a boat or jeep, then you'd have a hell of a package. (that's what she said)

In my opinion, a vehicle with the space of a Yukon XL and with quadrasteer would be extremely practical because it would be huge but maneuverable. Add in a midsize diesel powerplant to take it from 15mpg up to about 23mpg, and with enough power to pull a boat or jeep, then you'd have a hell of a package. (that's what she said)
I want that

Nope, I said ;)

Regardless...

To each his own. My wife has a minivan. It is great for carrying people and stuff. Poor fuel economy, not suited for towing.

I have no complaints with our 5.3 3.43 geared Yukon XL as the family hauler. Still will get 20 mpg on the highway and over 500 miles range with 217k miles on it and it will do the heavier jobs if needed. But having both (the 6.0 3.73 Quadrasteer) is perfect. It gets worse mileage, but tank is bigger, so range is about the same.

Oh, and the maintenance cost over the 8 years I've owned it is pennies / mile.

Definitely interested to hear how well you like that engine while towing. Weights would be a good reference also.

I can give you a year and almost 20k miles worth of experience. No issues towing anything I’ve put behind it. Just came up to Harlan with mine. Average 9 - 9.5 on the way up here. My Jeep and trailer weigh about 6440. Left full from Camden, SC filled up just south of Asheville, NC and when we arrived I had over a 1/4 tank still. I have a thread on here of my ownership so far.

B591A33B-E488-4190-AAFB-5BBBFF6EA5B7.jpeg

Added this to the fleet rotation for the lawn care business. 2000 7.tree…99,000 miles, $12k. Forgot these things were a million mile motor because they were too damn slow to hurt themselves. Clean though, and will move stuff and things and such, etc and whatnot.

1264DCB1-A42E-4516-8A6B-50DC6D39E8AE.jpeg
5CCF63B4-D21D-403E-A565-360FDBA5802A.jpeg

Added this to the fleet rotation for the lawn care business. 2000 7.tree…99,000 miles, $12k. Forgot these things were a million mile motor because they were too damn slow to hurt themselves. Clean though, and will move stuff and things and such, etc and whatnot.

View attachment 376041View attachment 376042
That’s clean. My buddy has a landscape company in Charleston and is always on the lookout for good trucks. His guys would have the inside of that thing smelling like weed and looking like a dumpster in about a week :laughing:

What size trailer is that? I'm wanting to tow a couple jeeps in the future and looking for advise on trailer sizes
It's a 26 footer. I've seen people do 24' but I wanted a to be sure two jeeps would fit for some trouble free cross country pulling. Only regret is the dove tail because it drags my driveway when loaded.

Plan is to restore one (perhaps using a new steel body) and using the rusted junk to make a beater truck. See what happens with time, money and interests.

Back