little LS swap help, Gen 3

Basically the German motto is this:

The part the Germans leave out of that is "and make it so complicated that it won't work forever, and make it very difficult and expensive to service, and require a bunch of special tools"
oh ok, thanks for clarifying lol. I'm slow, I've said it before, I never learned the "american humor" that most have haha, I'm clueless most of the time

oh ok, thanks for clarifying lol. I'm slow, I've said it before, I never learned the "american humor" that most have haha, I'm clueless most of the time
That's actually how most Germans are too. :laughing:

I would like to apologize for my behavior the other day. I allowed things happening in my personal to take over and some inappropriate things were said. Again I am sorry for inferring anything in anyway as to the quality of your business, skills or general personality.

That's not on me, that's customer preference. What you don't realize is not everybody has money growing on trees in their yard, haha. And contrary to everyone's popular belief on this Forum, there are more people/customers out there who KNOW you can build something without having to spend stupid money on all high end parts and have the same end result. They are educated enough about their jeep/truck/whatever to know they don't have to have King shocks and everything fancy shmancy to go with it just to have a decent rig that can go 70mph down the road and be a very capable rig on the trail. And in this day and age with internet forums everywhere, honestly a lot of people who come to me know about the "interweb gurus" who make those statements of "build it right or don't build it at all and only use the very best of parts"...I know and they know that is not the case and well, that's how I get so much business. LS swaps especially, I show them they can get an LS in their jeep for much less by going this route/that route with these parts etc etc and that is what they're after. Heck I hardly ever charge people my hourly rate of 80p/h and i hardly ever charge per hour lol. My hourly rate is here for just reference mostly and for those common welding/fab jobs that I do charge hourly for but for 1Ton swaps/4link builds/LS swaps I mostly charge my own "fixed rate" for the most part. If I work a full 40-50hr week on a build and stay on it all week, i usually bill for around 30hrs at my labor rate and that's more than enough for me. That's just how I am, that's more money than I ever thought I would be making, of course it's not always consistent but I am blessed, of course customer is blessed and everyone is happy and I keep getting more and more business because of it. So there's a little rundown of how I operate my business in case you care to know and not assume/judge me on me being a deuche or ripping people off on parts/work/or quality.

I was just stating that you're not using top components like you said, that's it.

Then you responded with all this blah blah to tell us that non top of the line components are fine for you and your customers.

That's cool and I'm glad, but they still aren't top of the line components.

I would like to apologize for my behavior the other day. I allowed things happening in my personal to take over and some inappropriate things were said. Again I am sorry for inferring anything in anyway as to the quality of your business, skills or general personality.
well that's very kind of you sir, no hard feelings. thank you

I'm starting with this first thing today
You can use some short wired alligator clips and a can of brake clean with electrical tape wrapped around the straw to where it barely fits into the top of the injector. Put the straw in the injector top, and hook the ground side up. Pulse the hot side and shoot the brake clean at the same time and it will show you if it’s clicking and if it’s clogged or has good pattern. It’s a quick test that costs nothing. Compare one of the good injectors to one from a misfiring cylinder if they spray different or not take them to be cleaned and flow matched

Need Remote Tune done!!! Anyone?
I need someone who knows what they're doing, unlike me, to tune this 91 YJ 4.8swap I just finished. Runs decent, but past 3200rpm weak until 4500ish picks back up. 02 4.8, DBC, Standalone Harness, AX15 trans. I have HP tuners but no way I'm touching it lol.
828-284-1302 Text me if you can/want to and how much. Thank you

Need Remote Tune done!!! Anyone?
I need someone who knows what they're doing, unlike me, to tune this 91 YJ 4.8swap I just finished. Runs decent, but past 3200rpm weak until 4500ish picks back up. 02 4.8, DBC, Standalone Harness, AX15 trans. I have HP tuners but no way I'm touching it lol.
828-284-1302 Text me if you can/want to and how much. Thank you
Is it a stock 4.8? Got a datalog?

Is it a stock 4.8? Got a datalog?
stock motor, and no I don't. do I need it? If so, do I need to buy a "credit" to unlock the PCM in order to datalog it? Sorry, I haven't done squat with HP tuners other than using it to scan a few cars and such. I just don't have time at this point in life and with CNC table back in the shop, I really plan on putting that thing to work now.

it's got 862 heads...are those stock 4.8 heads?

If you ease into the throttle it's not as bad all the way up, if you mash it nope, bogs down pretty good until you get back to about half throttle ish...that's the gist of what it's doing. He just brought it back today after a little test drive and that's all I know so far.
I think it's PCM related cause when I first finished it, I had my regular scanner hooked up to watch temp gauge and it showed all 4 O2 Sensors reading same voltage???WTH lol, so it seems like the PCM was programmed to run at some "predetermined" parameters maybe??if that's even possible. Bought PCM from Ebay company who refurbishes with Vats and Emissions turned off according to them.

it's got 862 heads...are those stock 4.8 heads?

Yes.

Is the fuel pressure where it needs to be? I'd verify that before doing anything else.

stock motor, and no I don't. do I need it? If so, do I need to buy a "credit" to unlock the PCM in order to datalog it? Sorry, I haven't done squat with HP tuners other than using it to scan a few cars and such. I just don't have time at this point in life and with CNC table back in the shop, I really plan on putting that thing to work now.
You may be better off referring the customer to someone who has tuned a vehicle before and understands how to use HP Tuners.

Also if you don't have time to do the tuning yourself, you're not going to have the time to have it done remotely. With remote tuning you still have to drive it and take datalogs just like you would of you did it real time. I'm also assuming you don't have a wideband which is pretty much a must have unless you're bold enough to tube off the narrow bands.

unless he asked for specific changes....I'd hope all the company did was test it and take VATS off. Did he have it done specifically for a 4.8? I'd check the fuel system before going any further. Watch the live feed on a obd2 scanner and see if the values go to shit when it starts missing. Did you ever do a compression test on the motor?

There is a really good guy in Maiden but you'd have to drop and off and pay about 500$ (assuming nothing is wrong with the jeep)

the PCM we bought was for the 4.8 stock application, for ax15, with vats turned off.
I will check fuel pressure and pull data log. My local tuning guy charges 450 for remote tuning and he's done all my other swaps. He tunes it, tells me to go drive it and etc etc. but he's super busy usually. I know this MAF should be tuned for this pcm, the intake size is bigger, the new injectors are 4hole instead of 2 like factory so I'm sure that helps some. I'll mess with it tomorrow with everything I can do and just wait on my regular tuning guy i guess.

a tuner is going to charge you at lot and likely not fix anything I’d the car isn’t in good mechanical shape when you bring it to him. Ask most tuners what is the biggest factor in cost it’s people bringing stuff that isn’t ready to be tuned to them.
I'm well aware of that. It runs fine when it's cold, guess I should've mentioned that. Once it goes into Open Loop is when it lacks power. When cold, this little YJ hauls and the 5spd really makes it fun to drive, just no clutch dumping lol (boy those input shafts on the AX15 are tiny)

the PCM we bought was for the 4.8 stock application, for ax15, with vats turned off.
I will check fuel pressure and pull data log. My local tuning guy charges 450 for remote tuning and he's done all my other swaps. He tunes it, tells me to go drive it and etc etc. but he's super busy usually. I know this MAF should be tuned for this pcm, the intake size is bigger, the new injectors are 4hole instead of 2 like factory so I'm sure that helps some. I'll mess with it tomorrow with everything I can do and just wait on my regular tuning guy i guess.

Not trying to take buisness from your tuner but you can drop that thing off with me 🤷🏽‍♂️

What size injectors did it have and what size did you swap in?

If you ease into the throttle it's not as bad all the way up, if you mash it nope, bogs down pretty good until you get back to about half throttle ish...that's the gist of what it's doing. He just brought it back today after a little test drive and that's all I know so far.
I think it's PCM related cause when I first finished it, I had my regular scanner hooked up to watch temp gauge and it showed all 4 O2 Sensors reading same voltage???WTH lol, so it seems like the PCM was programmed to run at some "predetermined" parameters maybe??if that's even possible. Bought PCM from Ebay company who refurbishes with Vats and Emissions turned off according to them.
What does it mean if they are all the same voltage?
What if you spray some carb cleaner into a vacuum line while watching the 02 values? Does the voltages change? What would mean if they do or if they don't?
Time to diagnose.

What does it mean if they are all the same voltage?
What if you spray some carb cleaner into a vacuum line while watching the 02 values? Does the voltages change? What would mean if they do or if they don't?
Time to diagnose.
I'm not that far into it yet, but mind you there are no Rear O2 connected yet it was reading same voltage for all 4 no matter engine condition or temp so that's how I figured the "pcm guys" must've just put in some predetermined parameter to run off of?? Idk, I've never seen that before. new to me, hopefully HP tuners will show me something

Back