local racing rumor

CLRracer

Mopar Nut
for those in the racing scene that dont know, southern national has been bought by racer kirk leone. old news, i know. well rumor has is that he is going to build a half mile dirt track right across the street from the existing asphault speedway, along with 1/8 and 1/4 mile drag strips. anyone else heard anything about this?

Duane

BRUISER said:
What city???

Southern National Speedway is just outside of Kenly, NC. very close to the intersection of Hwy 581 and Hwy 301 (its about 15 minutes from me)

as for the rumor, i haven't heard anything about the additions, only that it was sold. I'll see if i can find anything else from the locals.

Duane, I have heard the same from a few other local roundy racers.

a good 1/4 mile track in the area would be a nice thing to have, everything local is 1/8 and that too quick to be any fun ( for me anyway, not that either of my Runners would break out of the high 19s, even in the eighth)

Another dirt track would be a nice change from Five County Speedway and Boxing Arena as well.

Curious to see how long it takes and how much $$$ actually spent to develop.

Kevin

i've heard the same on the drag strip. i can see possibly doing that, but i'm doubting a dirt track. all the dirt tracks in the state have been drying up, i don't see why anyone would want to build one. there's what, only 2-3 left in nc now and they're hardly used?

A friend works at First Gaston Bank and said that this person has filled out the paper work and has every intention to build a 1/4 mile dragstrip. The reason there are not more, insurance cost more than double from 1/8 to 1/4 mile with added speed and risk.

I'll wait to see it happen. Rockingham is always slick, and Bristol is too far to risk driving w/out trailering.

Maybe if we had a local 1/4 mile track I would have sold my Grand National by now! Too many show queens in the area I guess.

Ryan

RufusTheRam said:
i've heard the same on the drag strip. i can see possibly doing that, but i'm doubting a dirt track. all the dirt tracks in the state have been drying up, i don't see why anyone would want to build one. there's what, only 2-3 left in nc now and they're hardly used?

theres a lot more than 3 left. theres 2 within an hour of here (county line and wayne county), i can think of 2 at the coast, one in charlotte, one in gaffney near the SC border, one in brinkleyville, and one or two near the mountains. and the only one i know of not doing well is county line. there are also two around fayetteville.

Duane

how far is this proposed strip going to be from raleigh? be nice to have somewhere closer than fayetteville and rockingham, though neither are too bad of a drive at all.

Kenly NC

I'm about 20 miles from the east side of the beltline and Southern National is about 20 miles from me

Southern National Speedway

Is a really nice asphalt track. supposedly this track and Orange County Speedway are sister tracks in that they have the same specs, as they were built by the same folks at about the same time.

Kevin

Little Richmond they call it.....went there when I was working on them @#$^%&^%$#$ racecars!
You ain't seen a race until you see modifieds 3 wide in a corner!

Matt-circle track has-been :driver:

Lizooki said:
You ain't seen a race until you see modifieds 3 wide in a corner!

that aint got nothing on late models coming out of a corner 3 wide with the left front tires a foot in the air.

Duane

Back