Log splitters

and the lever wouldn't stay locked in the return position.
This is a bug I need to address, not a normal feature of the machine. :(

I do have a motor, ram, pump, controls(from a Northern unit) and an I-beam setup for log splitting. All it needs is a frame and some wheels. Probably start building it over the winter but I could be persuaded to part with it if you want another project :D
I’m in no need for another project right now. :lol:
That's the same reason I sold him the I beam :D

I do have a couple I beams here but they are 20’+ and slated for other “projects”, eventually. No need to cut up a long stick for a short log splitter.

Ya know, maybe I could make a double ended splitter. 2 spool valve and 2 cylinders. While one is returning to zero can split on the other end. Double production! I do have twin girls; one on each end and really get some work done!! :D

I do have a couple I beams here but they are 20’+ and slated for other “projects”, eventually. No need to cut up a long stick for a short log splitter.

Ya know, maybe I could make a double ended splitter. 2 spool valve and 2 cylinders. While one is returning to zero can split on the other end. Double production! I do have twin girls; one on each end and really get some work done!! :D
You don't need those fingers! Go for it!

Ever get near Morganton or Martinsville?

I have the older version of this, and it has split anything I've ever laid in front of it. Also, I personally prefer the vertical arrangement because you can just spin and roll stuff around without having to fight gravity. If you split a 2ft round, you just kinda rotate half to the side, work through the other half, then rotate it back over. No picking anything up twice.

Whelp I went to order this and have it shipped to the house and they want $315 for shipping, which puts me well into the price range of some of the 33 ton units that offer free shipping or that are local to me. I’m not sure I want to wait until Thanksgiving to pick it up at the Morganton store. :(

I looked at this one and noticed this: Towable up to 45 mph with 16 in. DOT-approved tires.

I don't remember seeing a speed rating on others I looked at. Like this one at TS:

This from Lowes:

I was looking to get one local but that 34 ton for close to the same dollars isn't that far.

Whelp I went to order this and have it shipped to the house and they want $315 for shipping, which puts me well into the price range of some of the 33 ton units that offer free shipping or that are local to me. I’m not sure I want to wait until Thanksgiving to pick it up at the Morganton store. :(
Remember not that long ago when you had to hand write your info on the center page of the catalog and mail it off with a check and wait 6-8 weeks and hope it worked out?

I looked at this one and noticed this: Towable up to 45 mph with 16 in. DOT-approved tires.

I don't remember seeing a speed rating on others I looked at. Like this one at TS:

This from Lowes:

I was looking to get one local but that 34 ton for close to the same dollars isn't that far.
I'm sure they are all the same cheap crap chinese bearings and hubs. I wouldn't recommend taking any of them over about 35mph for more than a couple of miles. Those tiny tires are gonna spin north of 1000rpm at 45mph.

I'm sure they are all the same cheap crap chinese bearings and hubs. I wouldn't recommend taking any of them over about 35mph for more than a couple of miles. Those tiny tires are gonna spin north of 1000rpm at 45mph.
I did not think about that.

I have a few spare trailer wheels and tires for my cargo trailer. I’ll probably end up upgrading the wheels and tires to sometjing that’s more robust, not only for peace of mind but also Toni crease working height since I’m 6’1”. I hate bending over to work.

I have a few spare trailer wheels and tires for my cargo trailer. I’ll probably end up upgrading the wheels and tires to sometjing that’s more robust, not only for peace of mind but also Toni crease working height since I’m 6’1”. I hate bending over to work.
F'n Toni working with his crease hanging out...:laughing:

Just went ahead with the 33 ton Full Boar. It’s made by Yardmax and is slightly different than the actual yardmax branded splitter. Looks like the beam on this one is an I beam versus a fabricated beam on the yardmax, which is a flat plate and a U shaped channel welded to the bottom of the flat plate. With outdoor equipment, I hate tube as it tends to collect debris and water. So the I beam was the structure of choice for me. The Yardmax had steel coil wrap around the exterior of the hydraulic hoses for protection where the Full Boar just had the fabric sleeve for protection. The channel the wedge rides in is a little different between the two and I see each design equally, so I guess I don’t have an opinion on it either way.

Anyway, most everything else seemed similar with most any other mass produced splitter. Cycle time was stated at about 14 seconds. I’ve found the larger tonnage units have a longer cycle time than the smaller units, so for the 30-35 ton range, the 14 seconds cycle time was about average.

I did like the color of this splitter as it will blend better with the woods and isn’t an obnoxious yellow or orange or red color. If I leave it at the log pile hopefully it will blend in a little and not be as much as an eye sore.

Purchased this one through Amazon. The price seemed reasonable for the tonnage and it was actually in stock. Shipping was free and I had a few Amazon gift cards hanging around I used as well. So, for less than $1300 out of pocket (including tax, etc), it’s on the way. Hopefully it’s not in 1,000 pieces and it can get assembled in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, this is the one I bought and the reasons why. ETA Nov 16. We shall see.

A3BD68E0-622B-4FCD-8583-933E0AF65D10.png

Has anyone modified your log splitters?

I’ll probably make a table on each side, which is pretty simple. But what about the valve? Anyone ever install a remote? Either electric or otherwise? How about a foot pedal? I understand some of the safety risks with a foot pedal but trying to think of how to make it more user friendly.

Good looking unit. I'm still in the planning phase of building mine. I have all the pieces except for the tank/axle. Anybody know if they sell them like that?

I will be installing removable tables on either side of mine when I build it.

Good looking unit. I'm still in the planning phase of building mine. I have all the pieces except for the tank/axle. Anybody know if they sell them like that?

I will be installing removable tables on either side of mine when I build it.

For mass production and cost, I get the tank/axle combo. If I’m building it from scratch, I’m probably using what I could find cheap and readily available, which likely means separating axle and tank.

Don’t you have a spare Willys axle laying around?

No spare axles floating around. I was thinking about getting a small trailer axle/springs from tractor supply and a poly tank and go from there.

No spare axles floating around. I was thinking about getting a small trailer axle/springs from tractor supply and a poly tank and go from there.

You probably have some sort of tube to make an axle out of. Just get the spindles and bearings and hubs and make your own. For the cheap, you could just use the 5 gallon hydraulic bucket as the tank. :D

True, I have plenty of plate and some square tubing floating around. Shouldn't be hard at all.

Why not just get a simple full width trailer axle from TSC or northern tool or similar move the perches in a bit and weld it right to the bottom. Better stance for stability and able to run normal size trailer tires.

The "axle" on mine is just a piece of 3x6ish tube with some plates welded on the end, and a piece of ~1" round bar welded to the bottom for axleshafts. Wouldn't take much skill, cost, or effort to fab a tank-axle.
1698949504094.png

Picked up one from Home Depot today. 27 ton. $1299 - $100 for opening a new credit card with them. 0% for 12 months. Took $50 off because it wasn’t assembled. So $1149 out the door. Neighbor came and helped me unload it.

Attachments

• IMG_6015.jpeg
    IMG_6015.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6016.jpeg
    IMG_6016.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6017.jpeg
    IMG_6017.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6018.jpeg
    IMG_6018.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 41
Picked up one from Home Depot today. 27 ton. $1299 - $100 for opening a new credit card with them. 0% for 12 months. Took $50 off because it wasn’t assembled. So $1149 out the door. Neighbor came and helped me unload it.
I have the same champion splitter. 2 years now, it hasn’t missed a beat. I heat 3500 sq ft home all winter only with wood split with that splitter. Seems you will be happy with it.

@jeepinmatt here is your faster cycle time log splitter.

And at $3700 USD, not bad for a commercial piece and super fast 4 second cycle time from a hydraulic splitter. Had I seen this one before ordering mine, I probably would have purchased this one instead.

CB96F47C-CDCB-4517-B85B-114D75F8E4A7.png

@jeepinmatt here is your faster cycle time log splitter.

And at $3700 USD, not bad for a commercial piece and super fast 4 second cycle time from a hydraulic splitter. Had I seen this one before ordering mine, I probably would have purchased this one instead.

View attachment 406532
If I’m spending that much, I have no plans of picking it up…

Back