Mall Crawling Racer...... #4410

Open it up in the desert, let the shocks do the work...

Hit the apex...

Accelerate out of the turns...

Be smooth in the rocks...

Reapply level 5 hair gel...

I am only 2 years old, but this is where I belong. For now, I am a fan, but soon enough drivers will have to deal with my incredible sense of style and amazing hair. I am generation Mall Crawler 2.0.

image.jpg

Open it up in the desert, let the shocks do the work...

Hit the apex...

Accelerate out of the turns...

Be smooth in the rocks...

Reapply level 5 hair gel...

I am only 2 years old, but this is where I belong. For now, I am a fan, but soon enough drivers will have to deal with my incredible sense of style and amazing hair. I am generation Mall Crawler 2.0.

View attachment 147004
You have posted many awesome pics, sayings, and whimsical proverbs; But, this sir, is by far the best. :Fistpump:

Took a quick break from waxing the TJ and worked on the chase truck/support vehicle for the race jeep. The plan is to get a hidden winch up as high as I can without having to reengineer how everything goes back together. I've got it on a 2" lift, 32"s, and loaded up with a bunch of rescue gear. So onto the cuts ;-).

alh3.googleusercontent.com__CoOh1NLPxDw_UxEpb5LGadI_AAAAAAAAEiw_P2xulIJ5kSs_s800_photo_25205.JPG

Got the bumper off:

alh6.googleusercontent.com__8dMTVzU_2Xs_UxPshnRch6I_AAAAAAAAEjo_3Zx_7Si5kNY_s800_IMG_4162.JPG

Plastic layer off, time to start creating some room for the winch:

alh3.googleusercontent.com__ra0FGVHXzT8_UxPsi8dAPWI_AAAAAAAAEkA_noV4pUF6RFw_s800_IMG_4168.JPG

I've only seen a couple other full on custom jobs like this and all ditched the cross member, but that would create several issues for only a couple inches of clearance. Since this is a support vehicle, the extra inch or so gained by gutting the whole cross member is definitely not going to be worth the hassle of relocating virtually everything behind the bumper. So I'll be keeping a slim portion of it for remounting all of the stock parts.

Just a few more cuts :D:

alh5.googleusercontent.com__iUPc8SICeio_UxPskJRNqRI_AAAAAAAAElk_xMooARZ4vFA_s800_IMG_4171.JPG

All the steel removed (and stripped off the steel cable, going synthetic):

alh5.googleusercontent.com__F0cMNIwtZe4_UxPskQ_k7RI_AAAAAAAAEl0__pJF5Kcx_Nc_s800_IMG_4172.JPG

Test fit with the template cardboard winch plate:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__LoLlv8jN_Wo_UxPsk2Ux1RI_AAAAAAAAEmE_Beqg_sO0lI8_s800_IMG_4174.JPG

Fitting the inner plastic cover over the winch, perfect spacing and everthing should bolt back up just like stock.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__5Syvz8fRpXM_UxPslDuuyeI_AAAAAAAAEks_Ve9dO_Oaw3A_s800_IMG_4175.JPG

I've got the cardboard template made up, so now I have to find some steel......

Then cut the steel, get it welded, drill the holes in the winch box, drill the holes in the frame, mount the winch box, then hard wire the winch into the cab. I did something very similar to my wife's H3 Hummer, but this one has been a bit more difficult and has to be a little more compact.

Looks good. So does this mean the Mall Crawler is not dd anymore?

The WK is the wife's DD, it has to pull double duty on event weekends. During the summer she drives the 4550 downtown as much as she does her car, so it's always a fight on who gets to drive it haha.

Lift, wheels, and tires complete- now to just finish the winch project and LED lights! I'll probably get a hitch mounted cargo carrier for fuel, fluids, etc. Hopefully it will be a slick little shadow for the TJ at the events and parks. She had fun with it at Devils Playground last week hop to get it out some more.

alh6.googleusercontent.com__RxkcaNAVRcI_UxYlfXsq42I_AAAAAAAAEm5d8bdfbb0885ee5e01393ba72842ffff.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__TfCoOSAgaNw_UxYlen2JauI_AAAAAAAAEme303e2c3253165e035f6b999da023569.jpg

I like the WK. If you need that plate welded drop it off at the shop this weekend. I'll be doing a bunch of welding getting my rear coil overs on my Jeep this weekend. We are gonna be down at 4WP in the morning on Saturday and then we will be back up the shop after that. I will probably be there Sunday too.

I like the WK. If you need that plate welded drop it off at the shop this weekend. I'll be doing a bunch of welding getting my rear coil overs on my Jeep this weekend. We are gonna be down at 4WP in the morning on Saturday and then we will be back up the shop after that. I will probably be there Sunday too.

Done.

I may head down to 4WP myself. I'm hoping a couple of parts show up this week to bring over to Carolina Metals Masters as well. I had a long talk with Brian yesterday and I think we have some cool projects lined up! :D

That is awesome. Congratulations on such a feat! Truly an outstanding achievement without the factory support of most all the other teams. *cough*Currie*cough*

I appreciate that! Being an underdog out there is not a role I embrace, so I will keep evolving the Mall Crawler to look more and more like a pretend race car until it is relevant in a "who could podium this year?" type of conversation.

Speaking of which......... There are only a few reasons that the FedEx guy has to back into the driveway :popcorn:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__s5TloJnVIZg_Uxo1d796tbI_AAAAAAAAEnefc3a2ff50b4c776b2e912a30d7997ef.jpg

every time I see a fed ex truck...that damn arrow on the side of the truck just pokes me right in the eyes.

Kudos on the interview!

Dude.......

I'm guilty of chasing the white rabbit brah. I got tunnel vision, I was so caught up with tuning and pre-running, I forgot about what is most important: copying other racers to appear more legit myself. I'm totally cereal, I needed a reflash like an abused stroker and some caffeine laced freak'n No Xplode to get back to doing what I do best- crushing malls.

I called up my West Coast boyz to get the low low on what's trending and they- in their sharpest jump suits......

aassets.nydailynews.com_polopoly_fs_1.1534026.1385912569__img_ec6758abde5aa87e1978b219a26a166b.jpg

Told me that to lead the mall crawler nation, to be biggest poser, I Must. Get. Drifty.

I know, take a minute. I needed one. It was as if I had been touched by the hands of a douchey Aristotle. I was so jacked I couldn't sleep, so I jumped on the google and started researching. Immediately I noticed a common theme- bad assery was consistantly reappearing in the same form...

alh4.googleusercontent.com__6yuPTfAax_4_Ux38MH2WD2I_AAAAAAAAEo1f8c5d40628d088f797ea7e4b804c513.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__IwwbS6mh2W8_Ux38MJFk3OI_AAAAAAAAEod2f8850556f48dd37af567805fb6945d.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__iVJGTfdDB0E_Ux38NJm24lI_AAAAAAAAEo8f031ac2f29afadc977555943c250df7.jpg

Simple Mall Crawler code brah: see something cool, copy it ASAP.

Getting drifty with Hankook Dynapro M/Ts for the 4550:

alh6.googleusercontent.com__mjGizdUb2Aw_Ux38oxW9QbI_AAAAAAAAEpc875f0a80115bb672ef7aa12ae3ccae1.jpg

Dropped the rig off at Carolina Metal Masters for some more post KOH love-
  • GPS mount
  • Transfer case mount upgrade
  • Tire swap
  • Pre-race prep

alh5.googleusercontent.com__n5x57RSTICo_Ux6GOWCd4mI_AAAAAAAAEp46348c3054bce9b411028ea19698073f.jpg

Want to be a part of the Team RELYNER Pit Crew? Check out this chest cam HD video of one of my pit stops (filmed by Dillon)- took 5 gallons of gas and had the crew go over my steering (damaged from qualifying). Transfer case skid bolts checked, control arm nuts checked, and all lug nuts tightened.

King of the Hammers 2014 REDLYNER Racing Pit Stop - YouTube

#Poundthetorquewrench

FYI the MTR/K's are coming off the jeep this week and will be available for pick up probably Saturday or Sunday. A few people PM'ed me about them and I said I wasn't sure yet. Well, I'm not going to use them on the wife's Grand Cherokee :D so I'll be selling them.
PM me if you are interested, I'm letting them go for $600 to $700 off of what I'm seeing on Tire Rack shipped and Ebay.

Where can one get an application for your wash/wax crew or are you holding open tryouts? I think I could help in that department.....maybe!

Where can one get an application for your wash/wax crew or are you holding open tryouts? I think I could help in that department.....maybe!

Man I need help at every event! My crew consists of me and my co-driver, sooooo yeah, I'm pretty light on support.

Here's some Throw Back Thursday love:

The mall crawler 9 years ago at Moab-

image.jpg

Anyone else have some throw back love?

I was sitting there 3 episodes into the E! networks Total Divas marathon (my usual Tuesday routine) when I caught a conversation between Nikki and Summer Rae that like totally spoke to me. Nikki was all like "Summer Rae, I'm gonna go cray cray if I keep seeing those straps sticking out". Summer Rae, always falling back on her strong intellect was like "toats, Nikki".

awww.reviewjournal.com_sites_default_files_field_media_web1_Bella_Twins_0.jpg

I kept thinking about what Nikki said- Hiding the straps..... Hiding the wires! Of course, that was one of my big problems at JV- my winch wire. Per the picture below, it's sticking out of the hood, zip tied to the cage, then zip tied to the e-brake handle.
Dude...... What credible mall crawler let me get away with that? I can't believe one of the other 500 people wearing white oversized sunglasses didn't say something. Mall crawler posers have to stick together brah! The picture below shows my dilemma:

wvracer821;24700154 said:
awww_pirate4x4_com_gallery_main_php_a99a78ecfc06de0e2808dc1c81a97447._.jpg

found these today in the photos that are posted up on the pirate home page

So I reached out to 12voltguy and got one of the slickest, cleanest mods that will be going on this car. His in-cab winch controller is packaged about as well as it gets and his customer service was excellent. This mod is stamped: Mall Crawler Approved. Hoping to get it installed tomorrow.

alh5.googleusercontent.com__n2htI6xAQaI_UyzvXWG7mHI_AAAAAAAAEsA_kXOFG4wocYU_s800_IMG_4294.JPG

Tires are mounted and balanced thanks to RimzOne of Mooresville-

alh3.googleusercontent.com__hFrJWOP3LIE_UzGAjAAtX7I_AAAAAAAAEts_AjZNc3tlOfg_s800_IMG_4273.JPG

Now just to get them on and start breaking them in (working on TC and motor mounts).....

alh4.googleusercontent.com__9yBNCrDeHeE_UzGAk6B3uXI_AAAAAAAAEt9a3a88ff80e690232e5ced64ad3f0136.jpg

So let's get cereal brah. As I push the limitations of crawling malls, my gear is just not going to be able to hold up. Currently, I am going through mounts like crazy. I'm like Doc freaking Holliday with a blow dryer and I keep ripping the mounts off the wall, this alone nearly caused me to dnf the EMC before it even started. I was all rocking out to some Cold Play the morning of the race and WHAM, my portable hair dryer mount went flying off the wall when I holstered my Jet Air Revelon dryer. I was so distraught I almost called the race. Fortunately stronger heads prevailed and I got online and ordered the new, most durable, abuse tested mount out there:

awww.organizeit.com_images_hires_hr_taymorholster.jpg

Speaking of most tested, I nearly had the same thing happen to my engine mounts as I did my hair dryer mount. Crazy. So...... similar to the blow dryer, I had to get something that can stand up to the all out abuse of racing. Brown Dog was the easy choice here. This should stand up to hours of speed bump abuse at North Lake.

alh4.googleusercontent.com__yOnxk3wnC40_UzB5VGNj6MI_AAAAAAAAEtca18dba2f9cb61dc70b187b8619b817f.jpg

I also started picking up my new South Eastern racing anti-mud kit: Carnuba wax, Pro-Race seat covers and Pam cooking spray. Some people may think it was a mistake going with the butter scented Pam vs. the original non scented. All I know is around lap 9 when my shocks are heated up, it's going to be an aura of pancakes up in this cab.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__UxD3twGd_Pc_UyzvFPduIiI_AAAAAAAAEr5a7238054fa045790a4bc92af329b463.jpg

Getting prepped for this weekend. I leave for the Durhamtown race in 2 days.... and it is going to be sloppy. Three coats of wax and two layers of Pam should help to keep it some what driveway poser shot clean-

awww.pirate4x4.com_forum_attachments_competitions_events_124694bbdbe27fdc382ba282a47e9bb199e2f.jpg

Great choice on the motor mounts. I broke lots of parts on our race jeep but that was never one of them.

There are a few lessons that cross over from crawling malls to racing- the number one, most important of these is: Bling = Success. More bling at the malls = more head turns you pull. More bling on the race car = The faster you look.

Time to bling.

First up, mall crawling. I will no longer be seen with less than 7 pieces of bling- similar to this Rico Suave:

a25.media.tumblr.com_tumblr_m6wud2LTCv1qcf1bio1_r1_500.jpg

Next up the race car. Get ready to look 5 mother f'ing mph faster:

POW. Carolina Metal Master clear coated 7075:

alh6.googleusercontent.com__v_MTJMPXPKk_UzMZfsCUSII_AAAAAAAAEv59a6f48bc2001951bec050d3a528ba7a.jpg

When CMM was explaining to me the weight benefits and strengths and blah blah blah about 7075 I had to interrupt. I told Brian if the Unlimited guys used them and they were shiny, I MUST have them.

So the 4550 got shiny:

alh4.googleusercontent.com__mkSX8nztTrY_UzMY0DYgloI_AAAAAAAAEv173ca6584ea09dbcfd94b07c3acc7f27.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__23jBRtUKgeI_UzMY0TTvvqI_AAAAAAAAEv9b5e5b9fb5753be9efd49e2b9f881bd4.jpg

Also got the Hankooks mounted and logged about 50 miles on them. Pretty quiet on the road for an M/T. Then two coats of wax applied to the race car, and now I need to actually focus on the race prep :D.

alh4.googleusercontent.com__JHZ0wiLg8yY_UzMY0kRaXEI_AAAAAAAAEv0d2e33f53d56ed745ed4c9c4b427067e.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__n2lBc42lycM_UzMY1EU0LkI_AAAAAAAAEvd65bda5fd11115af0db6d106f002d2ba.jpg

Back