Mall Crawling Racer...... #4410

There are a few lessons that cross over from crawling malls to racing- the number one, most important of these is: Bling = Success. More bling at the malls = more head turns you pull. More bling on the race car = The faster you look.

Time to bling.

First up, mall crawling. I will no longer be seen with less than 7 pieces of bling- similar to this Rico Suave:

View attachment 150579

Next up the race car. Get ready to look 5 mother f'ing mph faster:

POW. Carolina Metal Master clear coated 7075:

View attachment 150580

When CMM was explaining to me the weight benefits and strengths and blah blah blah about 7075 I had to interrupt. I told Brian if the Unlimited guys used them and they were shiny, I MUST have them.

So the 4550 got shiny:

View attachment 150581

View attachment 150582

Also got the Hankooks mounted and logged about 50 miles on them. Pretty quiet on the road for an M/T. Then two coats of wax applied to the race car, and now I need to actually focus on the race prep :D.

View attachment 150583

View attachment 150584

Interesting steering set-up...have any more detailed info on that?

image.jpg

Going to take months to get back to mall crawler status.....

looks like GA mud....

image.jpg
Level 9 mall crawler code: Never be without your Axe body spray.

Progress- just water and a towel. No soap yet:

Interesting steering set-up...have any more detailed info on that?

What would you like to know. All the steering geometry was done by someone else but we built the tie rod and drag link. It's made out of solid 7075 T6. 1.5" diameter. We also build the ram mount clevis and clamp. All 7075.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Sending PM to keep thread clean

WARNING!

The following video may cause sudden urges to street race, cliff dive, run with the bulls, or pet a great white shark.

King of the Hammers video is complete, see the EMC get Mall Crawled in two high definition filled minutes. Make sure to have your volume up....... wouldn't want to miss the commentary ;-).

Well, about 15 hours of cleaning and the 4550 is back to daily driver status!

Hitting the gym-

alh5.googleusercontent.com__uu_OsQvHffM_U0MdbNstJ_I_AAAAAAAAEz6b19902aef55fe415a44d467760e0d88.jpg

And thanks to my Autozone seat covers......

alh4.googleusercontent.com__PwnD_7dtKXE_UzOGsjhyvWI_AAAAAAAAEwe467ff034d7b884b7da018936492897e.jpg

The inside was WAY easier to clean than it could have been.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__BbrCJjtvWTs_U0Mah_UgckI_AAAAAAAAEy620f9ac7ebbe6ab592a1e6a8d449e395.jpg

I also got to put to use my 12voltguy.com in-cab winch controller. Anyone who has raced or rock bounced knows the value of not having a winch controller flop around the car, what a great convenience mod.

alh3.googleusercontent.com__XqdOjgBRBVA_U0MQMHSPz3I_AAAAAAAAEyo__N1x40aHuXU_s800_12voltguy.jpg

Try to imagine, brah, if you will- getting a helmet communication system that works in spite of my imported gel (contains a dash of Jennifer Love Hewitt sweat, a tiny clipping of Justin Beiber sideburn, and just a pinch of North East Australian Aborigine musk). Impossible I thought. Can't be done. And since I wasn't willing to give up my incredible hair style for a few hours of racing, I was doomed to have no communication with my co-driver.

But because of the relentless R&D by Rugged Radios, finally my co-driver gets to listen to me gossip about the latest Hollywood trends in what must sound like Dolby 6.1 :D.

CRAWL magazine getting mall CRAWLier:

alh5.googleusercontent.com__aUsE7B36ZxQ_U18J0fjs_HI_AAAAAAAAE41c2f8071ac19e71d3b291d222f57289d.jpg

Typical weekend includes all out Saturday morning blitz to the local Starbucks via Dirt Riot-

alh3.googleusercontent.com__zRU_JsemBWI_U18aQqGdMzI_AAAAAAAAE5E_bB7q7IbEMVY_s800_photo_25201.JPG

alh6.googleusercontent.com__RaiHVn0BGfM_U18aR_VvtUI_AAAAAAAAE5M_5cDg4mYA7F0_s800_photo_25204.JPG

alh3.googleusercontent.com__Xl83GhuETGY_U1lq18vKsCI_AAAAAAAAE3732c5a06b5d32765aa1339ac0301ada9.jpg

Of course Sundays are dedicated to cucumber water drinks, heat shrinking t-shirts, and polishing bling (grab bar by Carolina Metal Masters- ask for the 4550 Mall Crawler deal :D)

alh5.googleusercontent.com__o59yY_L9w0o_U0VbRGcvPNI_AAAAAAAAE0efee4dbdd402d3646fac6ebdbca77a04.jpg

Then Monday rolls around and it's back to the glamorous daily driver status: dropping off the kid at school in the Ultra4 race car-

alh5.googleusercontent.com__ocqX9B550_Y_U0g8zbjvupI_AAAAAAAAE2473919b5f8f789e8d780699415abe777.jpg

I love this thread. It always gives me a good laugh. All kidding aside, do you really DD this thing?

I love this thread. It always gives me a good laugh. All kidding aside, do you really DD this thing?

On days my wife doesn't drive it downtown, I drive it to the gym, grocery store and of course the mall(s). So absolutely, I DD it. On race week I put 100 miles or so on it over speed bumps and tight corners around my area to make sure everything is tight for the weekend event.

It's the car of choice for going to dinners, movies, etc when it's just the wife and I.

Drifting is so hot right now..... I'd drift me.

Lowered the 4550 two inches and tightened the sway bars. En route to a NASCAR banked oval dirt track to go show those Evo's and STI's how a real poser wears leather pants. Should be killer slinging this thing on the banks.

image.jpg

I am so mad I didnt make it down there to see you. I need to get my own rallyx car again, relying on other peoples cars suck!

Hot pursuit of one of the ricers...... He stole my Monster Energy hat that I was wearing slightly cocked to the side, flat billed, and pulled low on my brow. NOBODY touches my Monster Energy hat that I wear slightly cocked to the side, flat billed, and low on my brow.

Drift mode....... Engage:

image.jpg

Looks to me like your Mall Crawler has way too much grip to drift. Perhaps a little less hair gel will free up enough weight...

image.jpg

Looks to me like your Mall Crawler has way too much grip to drift. Perhaps a little less hair gel will free up enough weight...

I could slide it a little in the morning session when I was running 23psi in 4wd, but I made a critical error at lunch by lowering my tires to 20psi for 2wd. My afternoon session I could feel the tire roll, making the slaloms pretty interesting. In hindsight, I would probably run 26 to 28 psi in 2wd.

The rally guys are always a fun crowd, some of them could really sling a car around.

Back