Mid-engine Honda Buggy Build, FJ-40 axles

I like this build. When I do another build, I'm highly considering doing something similar that you've done. Small, affordable, light, affordable, etc. :)

Yea the affordable side of it is nice. When we pulled it outside it just looked tiny, wheelbase is about 112" I think, belly height is about 21.5", think it was at 15-16" bottomed out. The back end is sitting a little high, hopefully I can lower it a little, I just don't want too little nitrogen in the shocks to help prevent bottoming out.

There are a few things I'd probably do different, but it is all minor stuff and I am pretty pleased with how this one has turned out so far.

michael that is awesome man!!It does look smaller than I remember which i like 112" wheelbase should work great!So your still thinking of the 20th huh??I hope so man!

That thing is 2yrs old and has 0.00001 miles on it!
It looks big when it has sat in the garage most of it's life!
All this help you've been getting the last few months, don't even think about not getting it done by race time! :shaking:

Yup, still planning on making the race. Hopefully Wednesday or Thursday of this week the engine will be running, I still need to make front and rear driveshafts though.

Well, I am not very good at keeping secrets, so I guess I'll go ahead and post a picture. If you want to copy it feel free (good luck!). I can honestly say I didn't copy this idea from someone else. With lots of possible winching I wanted to be able to lock/unlock the winch will strapped in to keep my spotter from having to run back every time.

Bottom pic is the rear driveshaft setup. I need some toyota driveshafts if anyone has some, I have 3 double cardan joints I DON'T need is anyone needs them as a trade.

Attachments

• IMG_1517.jpg
    IMG_1517.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 2,140
  • IMG_1518.jpg
    IMG_1518.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2,095
BIG thanks to Joseph Davis for the wiring job. He showed up today from Asheville @ about 8:45am, and left about 11:00 pm. The engine is running, sounds SWEET, not too loud from what I can tell. He took the ECU with him to put the VTEC stuff on it, going to mail it back so I can hopefully still test drive it this weekend. My main problem now is the rear driveshaft does not go into the transmission far enough to engage the snapring, it physically CAN'T go in any farther, so I may have to do some more lathe work to make it fit correctly.

Starting that thing up was a great feeling though...

thats awesome man!

BIG thanks to Joseph Davis for the wiring job. He showed up today from Asheville @ about 8:45am, and left about 11:00 pm.

WOW that's some commitment right there!

WOW that's some commitment right there!

It wasn't free :) But for what he was going to charge me I would have saved well over $200 as opposed to sending the harness off and getting it done elsewhere.

ECU is in the mail and should show up tomorrow, hopefully will get the rear driveshaft squared away and can take it for a 2wd test ride tomorrow or saturday.

Still need a front driveshaft though...

Glad to hear this thing is running! Wish I could have been there to hear it crank up. How's the skinny pedal working?

Got the ECU back today, plugged it in and it fired right up after I figured out there was a problem with the wiring @ the fuse box for the fuel pump. Ran good throughout full rpm range, idles a little low which I should be able to adjust. Sounds very good, not too loud, and not too ricey, pretty good for a motorcycle muffler on an Accord engine...

Steering seems to work good, it will turn the tires easily even idling low. Picked up the hood, taillight panel, and panels that bolt in front of the dash from Exotics today, talk about a SWEET powdercoating job.

Pics and hopefully a video of it riding around the backyard tomorrow...

This thing will scream... Bottom end runs a little rough, hopefully I can figure out why. Top end (~3500-6500) it flat out goes. Had a neighbor follow me down the road, it will run about 40 mph in 5th gear. I can actually start off from a dead stop in 5th gear as well. 1st gear is plenty low enough for crawling though.

Still have to do some adjusting on the shifter cables, hook up the H2O/oil gauges, and finish up some other things.

Post pics!

Yeah, that too!!

Took it for a test run @ DPG today, did good except for the engine running rough. I am still impressed with the power in all gears. Has a very good crawl gear, and 5th gear will do donuts easily. Joseph (wiring guy) is planning on coming back tomorrow evening to tune the engine and hopefully get it running better.

Pics to come!

Wow, what a difference some tuning makes. Ended up making a blockoff plate for the IACV because it was stuck open, but after than and hooking up the alternator we were able to take it down the road for some tuning. Nice crisp throttle, idles great, no hiccups anywhere. We were running 148mph at one point in time (on the VSS of course).

Back