MOTD (Meme of the Day)

there is one in asheville, and several in big cities in the midwest. they are more efficient to travel on than red lights and turning lanes ONCE everyone realizes what to do.

That's all fine and dandy for the residents once they figure it out, but do civil engineers forget that people occasionally visit cities that they don't live in?

We have a double diamond here in Lumberton on I-95. It is way better than what was there before. It is much easier to exit, cross, and get on the road.

It's really not that hard and it looks much more confusing from the air than it does on the road. When you are on the road you really don't realize it looks as crazy as it does. I'm sure there have been accidents, but that happens at every interchange.

I love when my area gets recognition for all of the wrong reasons. That intersection is a complete cluster. For more DOT brilliance, I give you the kidney bean in Castle Hayne.

The three combining road inlets are too close together, so people are always stopping since no one knows how to use an indicator. The rest of the delays are caused by the stoplight a quarter mile away.

Castle-Hayne-Roundabout-Google-Port-City-Daily.jpg

I have to use that "diverging diamond" bridge over 40 in k-vegas all the time. And those stupid round abouts in Lewisville.

If y'all have time to use a signal in a roundabout, you're going too slow. And that's coming from a guy who signals when he turns into his own driveway off a 1 lane dirt road with no one behind him.

Every day is an adventure for me. I leave my neighborhood and hit a 4 way, then 109 to I-40 to 52N to WSSU exit and 3 round-a-bouts to downtown

How I manage to not ram a moth+@*$%@* every day is a miracle
Everybody who knows how to use round-a-bouts: "These damn things are complicated enough for some of these dumb mfr's"

City of W-S; "Let's make a 2-lane round-a-bout to really make things interesting. When the person in the inner lane tries to exit but the outer lane doesn't it will be total mayhem!"

Everybody who knows how to use round-a-bouts: "These damn things are complicated enough for some of these dumb mfr's"

City of W-S; "Let's make a 2-lane round-a-bout to really make things interesting. When the person in the inner lane tries to exit but the outer lane doesn't it will be total mayhem!"

It was SO confusing there was an article in the paper about it :rolleyes:

Ask SAM: How do two-lane roundabouts work?

Exhibit A (from daily commute):

upload_2019-9-11_9-54-6.png

Ah, the divergent diamond interchange. They put one of those in Mebane at exit 153 off 40/85. Accidents increased tremendously thanks to this new pattern. As a side bonus, when they plowed snow this past winter they pushed it to the center of the bridge over the highway. Bright sun during the day resulted in melting snow, which ran across the road towards the edges of the bridge. Freezing temperatures at night resulted in an ice rink for morning commuters traveling through this interchange.

In all honesty, once you go through it a few times and know what lane you need to be in, they are pretty efficient. But the learning curve is steep!

Don't quote me, but I think they're planning on one of these at Western Blvd and the new, wider, tree-slaughtering Beltline to/from the containment area...

You don't have to use a signal in a circle, if they are close enough to you that you can't pull out then you stop. If they are far enough away that you can pull out you go. Doesn't matter if they are turning or not. Its almost so simple a blind man could do it, still some people overthink it.

fa9a05fa86095476f63b02cf178a24bf.jpg

4a716e4ea5a804db7e3c1ba925fe2b12.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
94a51486438f502fd9e55eb09c5a2541.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back