MOTD (Meme of the Day)

We desperately want to get back to NC (for more than the occasional vacation). We live here because it's close to her family (she's from here). All my family is in Texas/Oklahoma. Tough issue for us is the job prospects... Not sure, perhaps if we just pulled chocks and flew it'd be easier than we thought. But she's too scared to do that since we have two kids. I can understand that fear. Silver lining, though -- she just started a new job, it's fully remote...they DO have an office in Raleigh. I'm hoping she digs it enough to want to pursue it as her career path, since it's slightly different than what she went to school for and previous work experience. Maybe, JUST maybe...we can get back to something that resembles normal.
What kinda industries y’all in? We got a heck of a network here in this community and there are no shortage of jobs in the Carolinas

What kinda industries y’all in? We got a heck of a network here in this community and there are no shortage of jobs in the Carolinas
Her major in school was Biology (B.S./M.S.), and she just started in regulatory writing. I'm a mechanical engineer. I started in the oil/gas industry working on the shop floor til I made it to the office. I traded the giant wrenches/torches/welders for injection molding machines, now I design small electronic devices, many of which are hand-helds for mechanics/industrial types, also clamped onto/under your EDC. 😉

We desperately want to get back to NC (for more than the occasional vacation). We live here because it's close to her family (she's from here). All my family is in Texas/Oklahoma. Tough issue for us is the job prospects... Not sure, perhaps if we just pulled chocks and flew it'd be easier than we thought. But she's too scared to do that since we have two kids. I can understand that fear. Silver lining, though -- she just started a new job, it's fully remote...they DO have an office in Raleigh. I'm hoping she digs it enough to want to pursue it as her career path, since it's slightly different than what she went to school for and previous work experience. Maybe, JUST maybe...we can get back to something that resembles normal.
I can tell you if you wait til it makes sense or seems right you’ll never do it. Pull the bandaid off and just go for it and you’ll work it all out.

I can tell you if you wait til it makes sense or seems right you’ll never do it. Pull the bandaid off and just go for it and you’ll work it all out.
Very true. I've told the wife something to the same effect as that. She's just scared to make a move that big without a safety net. I'm good with jumping out of planes without a parachute. I'll learn how to fly on the way down. The boss unfortunately doesn't share my sense of adventure.

men.jpeg

Consequently…the ‘ass beating generation’ are idiots for not seeing the merit in their parents disciplinary measures??? I’m not saying, I’m just saying.
I think you're taking this to a generation that hasn't really had time to prove themselves yet.
I'm not sure when ass beatings stopped, but I do feel like those of us who are Gen Xers are frustrated enough with Millennials down that most of us are raising our kids differently - more like we were raised - than what we see happening so that our kids won't be like them.

I'm not sure when ass beatings stopped

They haven't in my house. I get home, my girls do a daily report out. Even at 2.5 and 4.5 it didn't take them long to understand severity of punishments...as well as comprehending how honest they were about their behavior went a long way to disciplinary measures. At this point, if they give a 'bad report', I ask them what they think their punishment should be and to explain why they're being punished. But otherwise, I was just making my obligatory 'the older generation is bitching about the younger generation(s) they raised' comment.

I was just making my obligatory 'the older generation is bitching about the younger generation(s) they raised' comment.
My point is, while this does happen, I think it is improperly applied.
In fact your example sums it up.
My parents are bitching, but it isn't the kids they raised. Nor their grandkids that I am raising. The spoiled obligatory trophy kids happened somewhere after us and before my gen (and a large percent on this board) had kids.

My parents are bitching, but it isn't the kids they raised. Nor their grandkids that I am raising.

Well...that could be another discussion entirely...no parent ever thinks they did a shitty job being a parent or raised shitty kids (generically speaking, obviously yours raised a smart dude and I see what you do with your kids). But I'll just leave it at, it's my opinion that there are f*ckheads in every generation...and every generation seems to believe they were better than the next. As if being old has some relevance to importance in society...could just mean they've been a dumbass for a really long time and are too ignorant to recognize it. I never understood 'respect your elders'...for what...because they're old? I can respect actions, knowledge and accomplishments, but just because someone is old doesn't mean they deserve some kind of universal respect.

:Gets off of soap box with my greying beard:

Well...that could be another discussion entirely...no parent ever thinks they did a shitty job being a parent or raised shitty kids (generically speaking, obviously yours raised a smart dude and I see what you do with your kids). But I'll just leave it at, it's my opinion that there are f*ckheads in every generation...and every generation seems to believe they were better than the next. As if being old has some relevance to importance in society...could just mean they've been a dumbass for a really long time and are too ignorant to recognize it. I never understood 'respect your elders'...for what...because they're old? I can respect actions, knowledge and accomplishments, but just because someone is old doesn't mean they deserve some kind of universal respect.

:Gets off of soap box with my greying beard:
I know dumbasses from every generation. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally going to be the "GET OFF MY LAWN" old guy but there are good kids in the new crop just like there always has been. Btw, I'll also be yelling at chickens in another 10 years thinking they're government spies.

I know dumbasses from every generation. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally going to be the "GET OFF MY LAWN" old guy but there are good kids in the new crop just like there always has been. Btw, I'll also be yelling at chickens in another 10 years thinking they're government spies.

Going to be??? Does not compute. I’m 35, and I know that old guy, because he is me.

Back