MOTD (Meme of the Day)

1673917405235.png

I wonder how long half this stuff is even serviceable? Have panel sizes been standardized or when my 4' x 2' panel goes out do I need to source a 100mm x 50mm replacement?
I have never been an early adopter of technology.....I remember when my father bought battery powered tools, the NiCd batteries died, then became obsolete, then you needed an adapter, then the smallest piece of the tool would break and you tossed the whole thing away. Meanwhile the worm drive skillsaw that is 30 years old is still serviceable....less convenient sure, but when work needs to be done it is always ready to rumble.
Right to repair FTW

Unless you put the panels on house roofs.
I know several people getting 100% of their needs that way. It obviously depends on all kinds of factors but helps a lot with the space problem.

My comment was more directed at the solar farms.
You're right about the "depends on all kinds of factors".
I won't even pretend to know what they are, but they must be numerous enough that everyone around with enough real estate put them on the ground.
I think the deciding factor of where to put them would mostly be the amount of available real estate .......

Agreed...further leading to my skepticism. I do know some of these set ups come with pretty substantial warranties though. How long exactly, what parts specifically and are they prorated...I dunno. I do believe though, that solar is alot more viable than other alternate power sources...the technology just needs to catch up.
My parents put some panels on their house... The loan was for 15yrs, with all of the energy credits going to the financer. The warranty was only 10yrs though. I told him it was a bad deal, for that alone.

My comment was more directed at the solar farms.
You're right about the "depends on all kinds of factors".
I won't even pretend to know what they are, but they must be numerous enough that everyone around with enough real estate put them on the ground.
I think the deciding factor of where to put them would mostly be the amount of available real estate .......
My suspicion is because it is way easier to convince 1 guy to install on 10 acres than it is to convince 20 homeowners to put n their roofs.

The man who owns the land thana solar farm is on just leases the land to the solar company. You're out no money if you rent your land out for a solar farm. Its good money but it's a long term lease. I've had several farmer friends lose land to the solar folks.

The man who owns the land thana solar farm is on just leases the land to the solar company. You're out no money if you rent your land out for a solar farm. Its good money but it's a long term lease. I've had several farmer friends lose land to the solar folks.
I'm curious what makes land particularly good or bad for this. Obviously open sky is a requirement but I would about odd grades, drainage, etc. Might this be a good use of land in nowheresville that is unlikely useful for any development or doesn't perc or whatever.
(@UTfball68 ...)

Not sure how true it is, but supposedly a friends family looked into it and their issue was that when the lease was up they could be stuck with the equipment.

Not sure how true it is, but supposedly a friends family looked into it and their issue was that when the lease was up they could be stuck with the equipment.
I heard California is struggling to dispose of solar panels that are no longer useful. Can't put them in the land fill and not cost effective to recycle.

I'm curious what makes land particularly good or bad for this. Obviously open sky is a requirement but I would about odd grades, drainage, etc. Might this be a good use of land in nowheresville that is unlikely useful for any development or doesn't perc or whatever.
(@UTfball68 ...)

Was actually on my shortlist…had that conversation with the same buddy that’s 100% solar. And the lawn care bidness handles a couple 10-20acre solar fields…so I’m getting an ejacashun

Back