MOTD (Meme of the Day)

273E6012-5B43-47E5-BF19-911ACB8962AD.png

Shoot…didn’t even consider that variable in my one off calc…what’s a roof run these days? $20-30k???
Just did my (admittedly small, Ranch style) with 50 year shingles, gutters and downspouts for $12k

Last edited:
'm seeing these all over the internet...WTH is the deal?
Apparently she’s having an affair with the entire second shift…

Now a bunch of officers are fired or suspended.

I have a buddy doing that…broke down the expense with him. He’s been 100% solar for 3 years. Looks like year 12 is where he breaks even, with a 20yr life expectancy of the system. And he’s in a new build, with green/efficiency being the focus of his 2500sq/ft. What couldn’t be factored (because we didn’t know), is the drop off in efficiency over time. And then what happens if you’re home isn’t energy efficient or bigger? I’m not against the progress or advancement in tech, just skeptical of folks saying they’re getting this credit or that credit and not paying the power company so they’re saving all kinds of money. I’d imagine for most, it’s a break even proposition over a decade or two unless they’re getting the system for free.
I don't disagree with any of that.
I'm just saying that space exists for panels that power homes. Thats among the bottom of the list of problems.

Shoot…didn’t even consider that variable in my one off calc…what’s a roof run these days? $20-30k???
That's not really part of the added cost of solar roof panels though. As mentioned if anything they make them last longer.

I personally don't see the big deal with adding them, yeah you may e addin ga few more holes, but look at how shingles are put in now - a bazillion holes nailed through the sheathing. The panels don't add anything close to that.

The real ticket is solar cells that double as / replace the shingles themselves. Then you can save on total construction costs. They havn't really been perfected yet though.

Last edited:
I have a buddy doing that…broke down the expense with him. He’s been 100% solar for 3 years. Looks like year 12 is where he breaks even, with a 20yr life expectancy of the system. And he’s in a new build, with green/efficiency being the focus of his 2500sq/ft. What couldn’t be factored (because we didn’t know), is the drop off in efficiency over time. And then what happens if you’re home isn’t energy efficient or bigger? I’m not against the progress or advancement in tech, just skeptical of folks saying they’re getting this credit or that credit and not paying the power company so they’re saving all kinds of money. I’d imagine for most, it’s a break even proposition over a decade or two unless they’re getting the system for free.

I could build the most energy efficient house, with solar panels and wind turbines, and my kids will still leave the front door wide open, negating it all.

That's not really part of the added cost of solar roof panels though. As mentioned if anything they make them last longer.

I personally don't see the big deal with adding them, yeah you may e addin ga few more holes, but look at how shingles are put in now - a bazillion holes nailed through the sheathing. The panels don't add anything close to that.

The real ticket is solar cells that double as / replace the shingles themselves. Then you can save on total construction costs.
Shingles overlap and cover the other holes… solar panels don’t do that. It’s an exposed yet “sealed” hole. About like the screws for metal roofing that have to be serviced every so many years. And also from what I was told anytime you need a roof repair the solar company has to remove the panels per your contract with them. As mentioned above, maybe a spare corner of a field or a building. But not my home. I also wonder how insurance companies feel about them….

I priced panels for my house right after I built it and the math didn't work out. I am on co-op power and in NC, co-ops only have to pay you wholesale rate for power you produce. Without an affordable storage option, it was a non starter for me. The panels would need replacing before they paid for themselves. I paid like $1500 for electricity in 2022. A $20,000 system that will need replacing in 15 yrs didn't make sense

I have a 2500sqft heated area plus 1500sqft basement, 100% electric (no gas anything) and my power bill averages around $100/month. By the time solar pays for itself, it would be defunct and need to be replaced.

I priced panels for my house right after I built it and the math didn't work out. I am on co-op power and in NC, co-ops only have to pay you wholesale rate for power you produce. Without an affordable storage option, it was a non starter for me. The panels would need replacing before they paid for themselves. I paid like $1500 for electricity in 2022. A $20,000 system that will need replacing in 15 yrs didn't make sense
You posted my exact thoughts while I was typing between actual work tasks. Harumpf. :beer:

Shingles overlap and cover the other holes… solar panels don’t do that. It’s an exposed yet “sealed” hole. About like the screws for metal roofing that have to be serviced every so many years. And also from what I was told anytime you need a roof repair the solar company has to remove the panels per your contract with them. As mentioned above, maybe a spare corner of a field or a building. But not my home. I also wonder how insurance companies feel about them….

Cant speak on insurance, but I know how FFs feel about them. And its not positive.

1673903414738.png

When have you had a battery operated device last 20 years, just sayin

When have you had a battery operated device last 20 years, just sayin

Agreed...further leading to my skepticism. I do know some of these set ups come with pretty substantial warranties though. How long exactly, what parts specifically and are they prorated...I dunno. I do believe though, that solar is alot more viable than other alternate power sources...the technology just needs to catch up.

Agreed...further leading to my skepticism. I do know some of these set ups come with pretty substantial warranties though. How long exactly, what parts specifically and are they prorated...I dunno. I do believe though, that solar is alot more viable than other alternate power sources...the technology just needs to catch up.
1673908509504.jpeg

I wonder how long half this stuff is even serviceable? Have panel sizes been standardized or when my 4' x 2' panel goes out do I need to source a 100mm x 50mm replacement?
I have never been an early adopter of technology.....I remember when my father bought battery powered tools, the NiCd batteries died, then became obsolete, then you needed an adapter, then the smallest piece of the tool would break and you tossed the whole thing away. Meanwhile the worm drive skillsaw that is 30 years old is still serviceable....less convenient sure, but when work needs to be done it is always ready to rumble.

Back