Moving for work

YotaOnRocks

I have a job opportunity that has me doing some serious thinking.

I have worked at my company for a little over 11 years now. The first 10 years as a regular hourly employee and in the past year I've recieved two promotions. First one was to the night shift supervisor and then to the daytime operations supervisor.

I have an opportunity to move to Richmond Kentucky and become an operations manager.
This will mean a big pay bump and is a step towards what I want to do (plant manager).

I never thought about moving out of state and it means leaving many people I love. Its a step towards my professional end goal that I could accomplish long term without moving far away.

So what say you fellas?

All depends what kinda roots are holding you in the ground

Kids? What age?
School change concerns?
Folks?
Her family?

I've never left the triad. No regrets. But my boy wants to see the world. Studying to be a chef. I told him to not plant seeds (kids) and see the fookin world!!!!

I did it and I'm glad I did. Does it suck that I'm not around my friends? Absolutely but at least there are ways of keeping in touch. Plus, we still wheel together so that helps.

As for my family, it was the right thing. I've got more time with them. Plus, the money is better. My kids are 8 & 3. The oldest was upset but she seems to be settling in. The grandparents are about 2 hours away which is just enough space.

I always say establish your end goal, then take the steps to get there...one job is just a stepping stone to the next. It’s all resume fodder. Gone are the days of folks starting their career with one company and retiring with that company. You have to look out for yourself first. What I will say is, make sure it’s a good fit/match and the culture is one you want to be associated with and included in. Remember the grass may only be greener because they use a different brand of bull shit. But overall, if it’s what you want, you’re willing to move and it won’t put any stress on your wife/kids (if you have them)...go for it. I’m a firm believer you can find what you want to do, and expedite the process if you’re one of those people that doesn’t have to be within X miles of ‘home’ your whole life. I fully credit my title today to the willingness of traveling and moving the last 10 years...and was able to be picky when the wife and I decided to come back home.

My wife and I have been married for 8 years and have no kids. My family is scattered. Dads in TX, mom and brother are in Maryland, sister is graduating in a couple of years and will land somewhere, extended family is on nc coast.

My wifes entire family (that I love like my own) is within 20 minutes of us. I don't want to live 7hrs from them but I'm accustomed to being apart from loved ones. My wife is not.

She isn't excited to move but is willing.

All depends what kinda roots are holding you in the ground

Kids? What age?
School change concerns?
Folks?
Her family?

I've never left the triad. No regrets. But my boy wants to see the world. Studying to be a chef. I told him to not plant seeds (kids) and see the fookin world!!!!

This. I have had bigger opportunities to move, some as close as Charlotte, but I have too deep of roots here with my family and my wife’s family, so I am staying. If I had to do all over again I would have gone to a bigger city right out of college, worked like a dog and then had my kids somewhere else. Life is never a straight path, and everything has an opportunity cost.

So what is my advice? No one can make the right decision for you except you and your wife.

My wife and I have been married for 8 years and have no kids. My family is scattered. Dads in TX, mom and brother are in Maryland, sister is graduating in a couple of years and will land somewhere, extended family is on nc coast.

My wifes entire family (that I love like my own) is within 20 minutes of us. I don't want to live 7hrs from them but I'm accustomed to being apart from loved ones. My wife is not.

Not sure if it’s on the table for you...but one company I was with...I traveled 3 weeks/month and 2 of them were in LA/San Diego...negotiated the company flew my wife out there once a month. Another place my wife came with me...about 5hrs from home...negotiated they flew her home once a month. Interesting factoid, the longer I was in a given role, the fewer trips she was making. Or if the money is that much better, just offer her the option...sometimes just knowing she’s not ‘stuck’ will help.

She doesn't work so I figured she could visit home when she wanted.

More than likely I would be in that position or one similar until I get my bachelor's degree. I can't move much farther up the chain without it. Apparently hard work and intelligence will only get you so far.

So, waaay back in 2008 I had this same dilemma. I pretty much grew up in NC and had been in various parts of it forever. Family was there, mostly in the triad, all of wife's family.
When the opportunity came for my new position here in Maryland, it was very difficult to leave. I felt like I was leaving behind a huge chunk of myself.

But to be honest, it was the best thing ever for us. Our son was only 2.5 and not really rooted yet. Looking back, we realize it was turning a new page in the family story. It took a while, but this became home. The barbecue still sucks balls and the gun laws are infuriating, but we learned to deal with it, and consider it an opportunity to educate the heathen here that vinegar is a key ingredient, and you don't make sweet tea but just adding sugar at the table.

We have settled into a home tour visit routine. Every Easter we swing back through, and she and the kids always go to her moms for a week during the summer. Thanksgiving rotates around household but we often come back to NC for that too. When we do the trip, we plan ahead and rack up plans to se old friends.
I tell you what - it's also a real test of who your true friends are. You'll learn, the guys that are your real buddies... it doesn't matter how fr away you are. You still find way's to keep up, and when you get back together, it's like you've always been together. The people that really don't matter, wll, they just kind of fall away.
And, hell, I guess I'm a living testament to the fact that this place has no boundaries (in more ways than one, lol). Your friends and family here are the same virtual distance regardless of where you live.

I say, go for it. You can always move back.
Most importantly, remember, you can take the boy our of Carolina but you can't take the Carolina out of the boy.

Also - bourbon. And, they like the 4 wheelin' in those parts for sure.

No idea how you two relate, but if she can do it with no resentment, you're in the perfect position to do so

I moved several times when I was first out of college. Is the move with your current company or a different one? If with the same company and you turn it down, they may overlook you for future opportunities. If with a different company. Take a long weekend and check out the new area first

I moved several times when I was first out of college. Is the move with your current company or a different one? If with the same company and you turn it down, they may overlook you for future opportunities. If with a different company. Take a long weekend and check out the new area first
Same company.

I had the opportunity to move to the Knoxville area for my company last year. After much discussion with the wife, she wasn’t on board. If we don’t both agree on something it doesn’t happen, so I stayed.

It went the way it was supposed to, recent changes with family made me glad I wasn’t 6 hours away, but I always wonder what it would have been like. Way I see it, you can ALWAYS come home. Sure you may be out money and time and have to start over sort of, but so what, you’ll be back “home”

I say go for it. Rent a house for a year and see if you want to put roots down. If it don’t work, come back and plant roots again.

Work will pay to move me and buy my house if it doesn't sell after 90 days.

Note...there are tax implications here. I didn’t realize moving expenses went straight to income, but a $15k increase on income can really surprise you if you weren’t expecting it. I thought I was living high on the hog and some kinda big shot, not having to touch anything to pack up or move in to my new place...until my W2 came around. Now I pack and unpack and save $6-7k. Then with the house, depending on your deal and type of corporation...home sale exclusions May apply, capital gains can be realized and taxes passed through to the employee.

Note...there are tax implications here. I didn’t realize moving expenses went straight to income, but a $15k increase on income can really surprise you if you weren’t expecting it. I thought I was living high on the hog and some kinda big shot, not having to touch anything to pack up or move in to my new place...until my W2 came around. Now I pack and unpack and save $6-7k. Then with the house, depending on your deal and type of corporation...home sale exclusions May apply, capital gains can be realized and taxes passed through to the employee.
I about shit when I saw that on my W-2 this past year. It all worked out though and I actually got a refund.

Richmond is about a half hour from Lexington. I dunno if you follow basketball(I don't), but UK has historically had a good team. You could go watch some games.

There are also some really nice horse racing tracks around Lexington like Keenland Race Track.

Personally, I would never move for work. But, my family has been in the same three counties as far back as we can trace. Almost all of mine and my wifes family live within 30 minutes of us, and our roots are firmly planted right where we are. That said, if this is what you really want and you are ok with living away from family then go for it. Nothing great comes without sacrifice. Im really having a hard time with work at the moment. Looking to change careers, but unwilling to move. So we are playing the waiting game for a position to open up in my area.

If it helps reach your end goals and your wife is okay with it, I would do it in a second. You can always make new friends, etc. Job experience doesn't always come easy and you have to jump on it sometimes.

Unless the move it to a really shitty place you would hate living in lol.

This is how my wife and I ended up in Charlotte. We both grew up in Raleigh/Durham and all of our family/friends live there. My work offered me a position in the Charlotte office and I took it. 5 years later, I couldn't imagine living anywhere except here. I have gotten several promotions since then and my wife loves her position at her company and it all happened because of that move. We do get back to Raleigh often to see everyone but moving for work was the best decision we have made.

That's a tough one. I have never been in your shoes but have friends/family that have moved away from everything they have ever known and it all comes down to what you feel is right. I don't think I could ever move away from my family and friends and especially don't think I could do it to my wife, but if it is a great fit for everyone and will make you happy, then I say go for it.

Back