My long term buggy project...

Rob - yeah man.. 425 mixer, rebuilt - $80. VFF30, rebuilt - $45. The model E is the most expensive part... Looks like it's over $200 for all 3, but not if you get the model E from Mr. nuts.

Oh, he has the 425 to q-jet adapters for $15... I think you'll just need a q-jet throttle plate assembly.

Well, I got all of the EFI torn off and am ready to start installing parts for the propane swap. But I've got to get the propane parts, so nothing will reallly be done until then. Also, I've changed my mind about using the coil springs in the rear and am going to air shocks to match the front. Its cleaner, easier to fab, and nicer looking. It will be much less fabrication and will be somewhat adjustable with pressure.

Rob

rockcity said:
Well, I got all of the EFI torn off and am ready to start installing parts for the propane swap. But I've got to get the propane parts, so nothing will reallly be done until then. Also, I've changed my mind about using the coil springs in the rear and am going to air shocks to match the front. Its cleaner, easier to fab, and nicer looking. It will be much less fabrication and will be somewhat adjustable with pressure.Rob

So, less fab means you'll be wheelin' it when? 2006?

yeah!!!!

Target date is no later than Feb. at the rate I'm going now. That gives me some time to tinker with it before the summer rides and Moab later in '06.

Rob

well, I finally did some more work to the buggy. I re-worked the front end so I could mount the air shocks a little higher and compress the suspension a little more. I like it a lot better. I"m just hoping that the tires won't scrub under full compression with the opposite tire on full droop. If so, I'll just move the shock on the tube a little higher, no problem. But, I think it will turn out much better like this. Instead of butt welding the tubing where I cut it, I inserted a piece of 1.5" tubing and sleeved the connection to make it stronger. I TIG welded everything and will smooth it out later for a nice clean finish and hopefully will never see the weld.

I also ordered some more air shocks for the rear to replace the coils I have back there. It will be a nicer, cleaner look and will end up requiring less fabrication. Here are some pics of the front...

p608-1129169847.jpg

this is at full compression. I've got about 1" of clearance.
p608-1129169836.jpg

p608-1129169821.jpg

p608-1129169804.jpg

Rob

from your pics, it doesnt look like your uppers are centered on your front truss. You're going to want to make that whole front assymbly symmetrical for strength so the forces are spread evenly across it, instead of being highly concentrated to one side of it.

Looks centered on the axle to me...

looks plenty centered to me and to the plumb bob...

links not centered on the actualy truss? of course not, because there is a differential in the way. stress concentrations on one side of the truss, of course, but as you can see, the buggy isn't quite finished...

Oh, yeah, and I now have the driver's side seat mounted and made a few templates for body work/floorboard/firewall so I can start working on the peddal assembly.

Rob

rockcity said:
Oh, yeah, and I now have the driver's side seat mounted and made a few templates for body work/floorboard/firewall so I can start working on the peddal assembly.
Rob
Careful, don't make too much progress! Your Liberty won't be able to drag it around anymore if ya do... :flipoff2:

Attachments

• gayjeep.jpg
    gayjeep.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 522
OK, here is the seat mounted. Haven't gotten much work done due to working on other projects, but its coming along, slowly, but surely...

p608-1129770795.jpg

p608-1129770811.jpg

p608-1129770824.jpg

more to come. I've got some floor pans cut out that need to be welded in, so thats gonna come soon.

Rob

OK, well, finally got the new air shocks in for the rear, I'll be adding them on this weekend (hopefully) after work sometime. I'll post pics soon.

OK, well, I couldn't wait till this weekend, so I just had at it...

New air shocks in the rear
p608-1131679104.jpg

p608-1131679118.jpg

p608-1131679130.jpg

Also, I got a good idea of where to mount the propane tanks. What do you all think???

p608-1131679167.jpg

p608-1131679154.jpg

p608-1131679141.jpg

I also removed the cross bar behind the seat and am in the process of modifying that setup. I'll have plenty of room behind the front seats for a small "bed" area for Jackson (my Lab) or tool box, or even a small bench seat. I'll have to figure that out when I get to it.

Rob

hey those look familiar :) im shooting you those dimensions tonight, sorry it took so long. buggy looks good, dont pull a buggybuilder though and let all the air out of those shocks :flipoff2:

IMO, I'd mount the shocks outboard more both top and bottom.. you've got tons of room, and it would help free up some precious interior space.

Also, to get the most fuel out of the tanks, they should point front to back (valves up front), and be at least horizontal, if not slightly tipped valve end up (but since we hardly ever operate on flat ground, that's not vital IMO.)

It'll also be easer to remove them if they are front-to-back. ;)

Awesome to see more progress!

thanks.

Uh, well, I really can't mount the outboard much more, remember, I'm going to 4 wheel steer and most of the axle tube will be removed once I get all the parts. the axle tube will be cut about 2" out from the lower mounts for the inner C, so I really can't mount them outboard much more. I could mount them on the inner C, but once I do that, the shocks have to be nearly verticle so that when they travel they don't hit the frame/tubing at full droop. I've gone through all that on the front and am still wondering if the front will still be ok.

tanks pointed front? I've seen them both ways and didn't think it mattered. forklifts have them pointing from side to side. I don't think I have the room to mount them front to back (shocks in the way). Rich, more info on how it delivers more fuel....

rockcity said:
thanks.

Uh, well, I really can't mount the outboard much more, remember, I'm going to 4 wheel steer and most of the axle tube will be removed once I get all the parts. the axle tube will be cut about 2" out from the lower mounts for the inner C, so I really can't mount them outboard much more. I could mount them on the inner C, but once I do that, the shocks have to be nearly verticle so that when they travel they don't hit the frame/tubing at full droop. I've gone through all that on the front and am still wondering if the front will still be ok.

tanks pointed front? I've seen them both ways and didn't think it mattered. forklifts have them pointing from side to side. I don't think I have the room to mount them front to back (shocks in the way). Rich, more info on how it delivers more fuel....

Well forklifts don't get on any grades either. I am not sure if being on a hill and having the nozzle pointed sideways has anything to do with it or not? If you don't have the room then mount them like you have them.

Metto said:
hey those look familiar :) im shooting you those dimensions tonight, sorry it took so long. buggy looks good, dont pull a buggybuilder though and let all the air out of those shocks :flipoff2:

Shut it........you done with the buggy yet Metto??????

Hey I agree with Rich....you are going to have a serious body roll problem with your shocks mounted like that........you gonna run a sway bar in the front?I would try to get em outboard even if you have to weld tabs to the knuckles....
the buggy is coming along though,looks good.Get r done.

rockcity said:
I don't think I have the room to mount them front to back (shocks in the way). Rich, more info on how it delivers more fuel....

There's a siphon tube that runs to the bottom corner of the tank to pick up the LP... with the alignment hole in the tank facing straight down, this angles the tube to draw every last bit of the LPG.

I suppose as long as you make sure the pin and the vale is oriented correctly, that a sideways mount can work well, but you do run the risk of starving it on a side hill, vs. having to be pointed downhill, which i more rarely find myself sitting on.

If the tube thing doesn't make sense, I can try and find a drawing of the internals of a tank...

I forgot about the 4WS... I'd still put them as far out as possible, and vertical on the C is fine, unless you are planning on wheels with alot of backspacing??

Back