My long term buggy project...

well, right now the shocks are just tacked on there and I can move them if necessary. I don't think I'll have room to outboard them, but I'll see. They are not much more in that the front, only about 2" total. We'll see, I can change it later if I need to.

Rich, I get what you are saying about the tube, but I won't have room to mount them any other way. I'll just have to make sure the tanks are orientated correctly every time I install them???

Or, I could just put a LP grill tank back there:flipoff2:

Oh yeah.........tell me I didnt read what I thought I read........

did you remove EFI to go to propane?????? WHy?......................:confused:

Rich is right. My Tanks, prior to this "newest rebuild" were side to side as Rob has in the picture. I would run out early, pull the tank and still have some in them. Tilted slightly upward and nozzle towards the front is best. Going down hill isn't a big issue since it will still pull vapor. Enough to keep it running.

yes, I did pull EFI for propane.

I didn't want to deal with the computer and all the electronics. I wanted to keep it simple and something I could work on in the field/trail if I had to. When the computer goes, theres no fixin it in the woods...

Plus, by selling the EFI I got enough $$$ for the propane parts I need. And, its a little more unique with propane.

Maybe I'll try to mount them front to rear. We'll see...

saf-t scissors said:

Ummmmmmm......no........everyone I know runs propane anymore.Its more unique to run EFI nowadays....I agree its easier to work on in the woods but once you get an EFI motor dialed in I like having fuel readily available........oh and a spare computer isnt that much to carry with you versus 2 full tanks of Propane...........Not startin the EFI.Propane war but most go from carb to propane not EFI to propane......its all in what you want.:driver:

well, generally, its more unique. And its already been done, so no going back now.

Plus, the EFI setup I had needed some work, (new injectors, sensors, etc.). Also, I'm no mechanic or electricitian so I had no idea how to wire up this EFI system in a custom buggy, so, easy way out that I can work on was Propane. Anwyay, its over now and I don't have any regrets. Maybe later when I run it, but now, no...

The only downside I have found with the propane is where you get it. I had three long days riding at the Dixie Run. I took 6 tanks and changed them both every day. OF course I still had quiet a bit in the last one run, but, I wasn't going to go out without having both tanks full. Other than that, I am as happy as I can be with my set up. No more puking out on hills!

I still can't understand why your engine burns literally twice as much fuel as mine, Chip.. you running that sucker eye-watering rich or somethin?

For reference, on a tank that wasn't filled fully, I ran an entire day of wheeling at Dayton on one tank, which included driving around town some. It finally ran out close to camp.

On a full tank, I did a day at the Devil's playground (Granted, there's some off-time, sitting and watching), did multiple full throttle runs around the house adjusting the mixer, drove approx 20 miles on road, and then ran about an hour at the next playground run.

The mileage on propane should be very comparable to gasoline. I've got a propane powered 351 F-150 at work that averages around 10-12, but its got 200,000 on it. If you got propane ?s, shoot em at me. I work for a propane dealer, I'm expected to know this stuff.

One other problem I discovered about propane, if it's running rich it'll make some people (mainly me) puke. After riding behind you guys on the trail some at Dixie Run I realized I was starting to get a headache, thought nothing of it as it has happened before when a gas motor was running rich. Then when I drove down trail one and pulled over 5 times before I got to Crawfords and was violently throwing up, George informed me that it makes some people sick, I'm one of them.Luckly a shower and some fresh air cured me in about an hour or so. If I'm riding with people running it, I got to be up front, it killed me.

Woody - no worries here.. mine's running on the lean side if anything... ;)

I know that there isn't very much "tuneability" in an impco mixer, but I have a $400 wideband 02/datalogging setup that I still can't use due to my junk being in pieces. If any of you guys want or need to use it just ask.

And rich, you know the old saying... You can run rich all day, but only go too lean once. :flipoff2:

OK, I ordered the HD 32 spline output kits front/rear for the D300 and I also got the 1410 yokes for the D300 also.
Andy hooked me up with the rear and a friend of mine had the front lying around. Also, last night I ordered an Afco racing radiator. Hopefully this will be enough. I'm sure it will with a nice electric fan and a good shroud.

now all I need is a long tailshaft D300 to put the output kits in.

hehe.

A little. just picked up another D60 front so I can make the rear D70 a steering axle. just gotta get in there and start cutting the D60 apart...

Back