My new rig

Bigger pulley to slow down the pump? Or was the pump just old and worn out?
I think it was more of an upper link and the pulley trying to occupy the same space.

Bigger pulley to slow down the pump? Or was the pump just old and worn out?

Based on the amount of bearing material we saw inside the reservoir it was the pump that probably came on the motor. It was very worn.

I just came home from Kairos and I left it on the trailer cause I’m just gonna bolt check and fluid check it and head south with it shortly. That’s a really good feeling.
South? Where you going next?

Not everything here is swampy. Some areas are sand and around my house is really black dirt with hard clay under it. It IS mostly flat though and I'd have to import rocks if I wanted any 😅

We do have plenty of swampy areas though.

I have a 19x24 aluminum 2 row radiator. I have a custom fitted aluminum shroud with a 16” Spal 1950CFM fan, and a 165* thermostat. It does find crawling, and cruising around. But if I have to climb a long grade, or start beating on it, it gets over 200* quick. It will come back down very quick if I idle, or get back to coasting/downhill.

My friend gave me a 31x19 aluminum 2 row, I’ll need a new shroud, change the mounting and get new hoses since they’re both on the passenger side.

Before I do that, is it possible the 165* stat is hurting me by not allowing water to remain in the radiator long enough to cool, or is it simply too small?

Before I do that, is it possible the 165* stat is hurting me by not allowing water to remain in the radiator long enough to cool, or is it simply too small?

That is an old tell that isn't true.

Are your steam ports or heater hoses plugged?

An option that a friend did on his LS buggy with a smaller rad, is installing an oil cooler with a fan.

I had a lengthy conversation with @Bebop today and he educated me about the thermostat and how that’s not true. I sent him pics and the exact fan I have and we determined that my radiator should be sufficient, but I’m not moving enough air thru it. So I’m on the hunt for a Volvo 2 speed fan and relay. Seems to be the best option and it will fit my shroud and engine bay.

Suck cause I literally just bought the Spal fan and thought I made the right choice. I chose to go with the $145 one over the $100 thinking I was getting the best fan. Not that it’s a bad fan, but it’s just not enough I guess.

Oh and steam port goes to upper hose, heat hose loops back to pump. I’ve been told you can plug them, most loop them.

Oil coolers always help! The entire bottom end is basically oil cooled.

If it isn't too much hassle, I'd probably stick the bigger radiator in there since it was free and then add the Volvo fan on that. Definitely wouldn't hurt!

@77GreenMachine Not sure what thermostat you got, but there's a MotoRad 379-160 that's 12.74 on RockAuto. Hopefully you didn't pay 50 bucks or more for an aftermarket one just because it has some company's name on the box....or if you ever need another one, there you go!

Oil coolers always help! The entire bottom end is basically oil cooled.

If it isn't too much hassle, I'd probably stick the bigger radiator in there since it was free and then add the Volvo fan on that. Definitely wouldn't hurt!

@77GreenMachine Not sure what thermostat you got, but there's a MotoRad 379-160 that's 12.74 on RockAuto. Hopefully you didn't pay 50 bucks or more for an aftermarket one just because it has some company's name on the box....or if you ever need another one, there you go!

Well the other radiator isn’t free, it’s $100 but that’s probably worth it.
As for the thermostat it was like $15 from the parts store.

Dump a bottle or two of water wetter in it when you get everything thing finalized and don't plan to replace any more parts that would lose coolant. I love the stuff. I went to a class years ago that done demonstrations with it and I have used it ever since.

Oil cooler isn’t needed for a trail riding rig imo.
Bigger radiator is always better. But a 31x19 is a big unit. Not sure you can fit that.

Volvo fan of the big Spal I sent you are IMO the way to go, provided that your water pump moves water and isn’t dead.

I wondered about the shape of the water pump myself. It's probably fine, but you never know.

I'm always a fan of an oil cooler, especially on an LS. They have terrible PCV systems and if oil ever starts to disappear, it's getting sucked in through there most likely. But I get it...you'd have to add a fan or place it so it got air flow from the radiator fan or it wouldn't do much good.

My truck will make some oil disappear from time to time. It lessened with the 160 degree thermostat. A catch can would keep it from going through the intake, but I bet an oil cooler would probably keep it from getting hot enough to vaporize to start with...at least, I'd like to think so.

Dump a bottle or two of water wetter in it when you get everything thing finalized and don't plan to replace any more parts that would lose coolant. I love the stuff. I went to a class years ago that done demonstrations with it and I have used it ever since.

Isn't that supposed to be used with water only? I was under the impression it’s not meant to be mixed with much, if any coolant or it’s wasted. I haven’t ruled it out.

Suck cause I literally just bought the Spal fan and thought I made the right choice. I chose to go with the $145 one over the $100 thinking I was getting the best fan. Not that it’s a bad fan, but it’s just not enough I guess.
so what you ended up with? I'm looking to order one too but dam all that high dollar crap that's only putting out like 2k cfms lol. That's outrageous what they charge for few pieces of plastic and a tiny electric motor (they can keep that gold plastic haha)

so what you ended up with? I'm looking to order one too but dam all that high dollar crap that's only putting out like 2k cfms lol. That's outrageous what they charge for few pieces of plastic and a tiny electric motor (they can keep that gold plastic haha)
This is what I bought that did not work.

The part number I need from Spal is 30102082
Which is the same CFM however it draws way more Amps, is not a low profile, and the blades are twice as thick. I’m still torn on trying that or the Volvo fan. So I have not done either yet.

Last edited:
This is what I bought that did not work.

The part number I need from Spal is 30102082
Which is the same CFM however it draws way more Amps, is not a low profile, and the blades are twice as thick. I’m still town on trying that or the Volvo fan. So I have done either yet.
I found a Ebay 3500cfm for $90 I just ordered. Had good reviews and made in USA so I gave them a try.

I found a Ebay 3500cfm for $90 I just ordered. Had good reviews and made in USA so I gave them a try.
Link?

I saw some in that price range but the reviews on Summit said they were junk. I have a trip coming up and I doubt I’ll change anything before then.

Back