My new rig

Fan CFM is expressed under a certain type of resistance. Just like an air compressor output is expressed under a certain pressure.
Saying a fan is 3k CFM without the back pressure info doesn't mean anything.

Also, the ebay description says the motor is 180W which is very small for a big 16" fan.
Ok ok lol I don't get all technical but it def pulls some serious air anyhow.

Saying a fan is 3k CFM without the back pressure info doesn't mean anything.
The term you're looking for is Static pressure. The more resistance the fan has to encounter, the less CFM it's capable of producing.

Had too....I mean...you're smarter than me in every way possible, so when you struggled with the proper term I just HAD to correct you :massey:

@77GreenMachine get us back on track w/ the install of the Volvo fan

It is bolted in and installed. Took me a while to find the wire from the ECU for fan relay #2. I have fan #1 wired to low and it works as it should. I just never finished Saturday and didn’t touch it yesterday. It’ll take a few minutes to hook up the high side to #2, I’ll mount the relay with some zip ties since I forgot the relay mount at the junkyard. Then set it to come on at 200 or 205.

Initially I’ll set it much lower just to confirm it comes on like it should, like low at 160 and high at 175. Once I confirm the computer is commanding everything correctly I’ll bump it up like above and then do some test driving.

I did test out low and it came on at 180 and brought it down to 175 very quickly so I’m already feeling better about it.

It is bolted in and installed. Took me a while to find the wire from the ECU for fan relay #2. I have fan #1 wired to low and it works as it should. I just never finished Saturday and didn’t touch it yesterday. It’ll take a few minutes to hook up the high side to #2, I’ll mount the relay with some zip ties since I forgot the relay mount at the junkyard. Then set it to come on at 200 or 205.

Initially I’ll set it much lower just to confirm it comes on like it should, like low at 160 and high at 175. Once I confirm the computer is commanding everything correctly I’ll bump it up like above and then do some test driving.

I did test out low and it came on at 180 and brought it down to 175 very quickly so I’m already feeling better about it.
:nopics:

The term you're looking for is Static pressure. The more resistance the fan has to encounter, the less CFM it's capable of producing.

Had too....I mean...you're smarter than me in every way possible, so when you struggled with the proper term I just HAD to correct you :massey:

I love being corrected by people that know more than me. that's how I (and others) learn. Thank you for pointing my mistake out and educating us all.

I should know this since it's everywhere on the Spal specs :dumbass:

Being smart and educated are 2 different things. Not sure I'm much smarter than anyone here. Lots of smart people here.
Smart mouthed, maybe :stirthepot:

Hell yeah dude, makes me happy to read that.
The Volvo fan and relay setup are amazing.

Also glad the Fast EFI has the 2 fan outputs, makes install a breeze.

You'll see, when the high speed turns on, if feels like you have a little prop airplane under the hood :D

Got the fan done. The computer controls it correctly but the fan is cracked in the outer ring that connects all the fan blades so it sounds like it’s coming apart on high. Doesn’t even sound great on low. It was not too bad at first just a slight noise, but after a test drive and it switching to high it was loud.

Really sucks. but everything fits like it should with room to spare.
Kinda screwed. Was supposed to go to Gulches Saturday. Not sure if I’ll throw the old fan back on for now or what.
740F40AD-13DA-47D5-8306-646C0C151897.jpeg
49F2F35F-A44E-412B-99DB-3D9A3817BA08.jpeg
0B538AE4-EB7B-4749-9AE4-A5BC08FE076F.jpeg

Can a new version be gotten from the parts houses? Or are they expensive because they say Volvo?

Glue, epoxy, something. Too bad you're not closer....I'd get you a tube of Purple Jesus from work :D

Can a new version be gotten from the parts houses? Or are they expensive because they say Volvo?
$160 at the parts store. $90 from Carparts.com but I have no experience with that site. $130 from Rockauto
Glue, epoxy, something. Too bad you're not closer....I'd get you a tube of Purple Jesus from work :D

I was thinking about pulling it out and trying epoxy. Might try that and use as minimal as possible material to keep it balanced.

Last edited:
Luckily I utilized the OEM wiring and plugs. Made removal a breeze. Certainly found my problem. 2 cracks all the way thru. A 3rd one has started as well.

I’m gonna try to get to the junk yard tomorrow to grab another fan. But I thought about cleaning the area with brake clean and applying gorilla tape on the inside and outside of the ring, and then also put the same amount of tape straight across on the other side to keep it balanced. Probably a dumb idea, but might work temporarily.
CFAEAC2D-C8A7-4413-9D4D-4BA1A0FC4CB5.jpeg
B8582F6D-51B3-466B-A3BD-ED34CD15D044.jpeg

Plastic weld that beeyotch with a soldering iron.

I have a soldering iron. Do you think I could do it with a zip tie as filler? Blend it all in smooth after.

Last edited:
Zip ties work great as filler on kayaks so I would think it would work. Pieces of milk jugs also work great.

So that worked wayyyy better than I imagined. I “tacked” it as you would TiG welding, then smooth lots of the original material over it. Like spreading peanut butter. Then added some zip tie filler and leveled everything best I could.

It is shockingly strong. I was thinking I would as epoxy over it, but it’s so strong and rigid I won’t bother. Fixing to reassemble and report back.
9AD827D1-96E6-4E28-9074-62FD03847B57.jpeg
9B7A8729-0BFE-4075-9427-53003CED29EE.jpeg
75696E50-666F-4D6C-A87A-673E39D573DF.jpeg
ECDBC848-170E-4F95-B695-4EC5F312375E.jpeg

Well that worked. And apparently the fan rubbing like it did was slowing it down quite a bit cause the Jeep runs a lot cooler. It took a LOT of beating on it just to get it up to 200* and I’m sure my neighbors loved it. I had the high set to kick in at 200* and once it kicked on it held at 203. I got it to 206 by sitting still at 3500rpms for a bit. Once I stopped it pulled it down super fast and switched to low, and kept cooling. It was back to 176 in about 3 minutes. It might still get a little warm when I hammer on it but it will take a while to get north of 220 and if it does it’ll come down super fast.
This Volvo fan is the ticket, and having the computer control it makes the install and absolute breeze.

I went to gulches this past weekend. There’s really no long grades to climb and I never really gave the Jeep a beat down but I did run it hard from the bottom of 3D hill to the truck and back, and it was also the hottest weather I have EVER wheeled in. The Jeep never got very hot. I don’t recall seeing it get over 206* cause once high kicked on it would pull it down fast.

Next time I go wheeling with some long grades I’ll really get a feel for it. I may also still add some water wetter to it just because. I imagine in the fall/winter it will not run hot at all

Back