NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Got to the farm a little late yesterday and decided to just slip into a pasture instead of pushing my luck getting to either of my food plots. Walked about 100yds up a creek branch, laid down and was going to get the SxS about 45 min later.

BACE233C-0019-43EE-A052-EACBF9BBBDA1.jpeg
7D89351A-3BA6-42AF-B9C1-B8FA9C30050B.jpeg

Decided to go tonight with all the rain in the forecast even though I haven't seen anything out of my only stand with a roof. Heard 8-10 shots & saw 2 yearlings that I was going to let walk. Counted it as a win since those are the first deer I've seen in that food plot all year. They kept looking back & I finally saw an 8 point come to the edge of the clearing with 10 minutes left. Of course he was facing me & never offered a shot before the fog & mist got so thick I couldn't see past 40 yards. Sorry for the potato pics, but low light @ 100 yards will do that.
eb052d86fb9f8e3d26fcd090e45fe986.jpg
37c37dc3600d2104e4f4c72e02aa38af.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Decided to go tonight with all the rain in the forecast even though I haven't seen anything out of my only stand with a roof. Heard 8-10 shots & saw 2 yearlings that I was going to let walk. Counted it as a win since those are the first deer I've seen in that food plot all year. They kept looking back & I finally saw an 8 point come to the edge of the clearing with 10 minutes left. Of course he was facing me & never offered a shot before the fog & mist got so thick I couldn't see past 40 yards. Sorry for the potato pics, but low light @ 100 yards will do that.
eb052d86fb9f8e3d26fcd090e45fe986.jpg
37c37dc3600d2104e4f4c72e02aa38af.jpg

Well hopefully that 8 will dodge the cars until next year and be a real trophy!!

Well hopefully that 8 will dodge the cars until next year and be a real trophy!!
Fingers crossed!!

Took munchkin "squirrel hunting", AKA trampling around in the woods with a toddler while carrying a gun in case we see a blind and deaf squirrel.

20210109_111039.jpg

20210109_111237.jpg

20210109_111411.jpg

20210109_120635.jpg

pulled cameras and stands this weekend.

second daytime picture of this deer in two years.... i was going to hunt but plans changed at the last minute and i didnt go.

and then one of him that night where you can really see his size.
View attachment 334819View attachment 334820
I would hunt the damnit out of that deer. Like make the whole season about him haha

I would hunt the damnit out of that deer. Like make the whole season about him haha
Spending some time this winter to try and zone in on him. Usually don’t get picture of him until most of the acorns gone. And he is there right before legal light or right after. 2 years I’ve got him during daytime twice.

I had planned on hunting there the 27th but pulled cards on Christmas and didn’t any pictures of any bucks day or night. Decided not to go cause it was cold and didn’t look like a chance at any bucks.

Damn shame he's got that nice width but shitty tine length though

Last edited:
Damn shame he's got that nice width but shitty tine length though
His G2 on right side is broke off. I don’t think he’s super tall but I think he’s taller than the pictures make it look. He’s also probably 4.5 years old. I figured he was 3.5 last year, he’s gotten wider and talker and seems to carry more mass this year so hoping next year he will be a giant for the mountains

Lotta walking for one tree rat.

20210123_155815.jpg

My 4 year old is insisting that she goes hunting when she turns 5. Which is in April.

She really wants a wild boar or a turkey... or a tiger... (It took effort to get her off Wolves and Mountain Lions..)

What do you guys do for ear protection for your kiddos? (I'm guessing muffs, but what size/brand/etc? Something electric would be nice.)

We have 3M Peltor Junior muffs and one pair of these:

My 4 year old is insisting that she goes hunting when she turns 5. Which is in April.

She really wants a wild boar or a turkey... or a tiger... (It took effort to get her off Wolves and Mountain Lions..)

What do you guys do for ear protection for your kiddos? (I'm guessing muffs, but what size/brand/etc? Something electric would be nice.)
N.C. 2021 Youth Turkey season opens on April 3rd till the 9th.

Little late to the party and a loonng story...but here we go.

I got permission to hunt my in-laws 36 acre tract in Raleigh. A little backstory...I've been wanting to hunt this property for the last....16 years that I have been with their daughter( (7 years dating/9 years married). I've always been told, NOPE! No hunting at all, all you can do is fish the ponds etc...All the other farms in this area are hunted heavily with NO pressure on this "sanctuary" of my inlaws.

5 days before Christmas, I get a call from my father in law(which is normal). Conversation is straight forward enough(wondering when we would be in town etc) and then towards the end asked how I would hunt his property. I mentioned my bow and he said I'll allow it....

JACKPOT

Immediately made some changes to our vacation trip/loadout and loaded up the truck with my bow, climbing stand, and a cooler. Now I haven't shot my bow in YEARS, but its a quality Hoyt bow with quality arrows and muzzy broadheads so shouldn't be an issue...

I decide to hunt Christmas morning(only morning that I could effectively hunt, everything else would be evening). I talked with my FIL and BIL about where the deer moved during the morning/evening hours and decided on where to place my stand. I got up super early on Christmas morning and debated on whether or not to put my long johns on(I did, thankfully)...

It was a 10 min walk with my stand to where I wanted to setup. I saw one doe behind his shop when I was walking in so I took it as a good sign. Got in the tree super early and "napped" until shooting hour. Right at shooting hour it started to snow on me, which I've never sat in a deer stand when it was snowing, so that was awesome(thank god for long johns).

5 mins later, a doe snuck up on me about 20 yards. I hooked my release and then got into a 10min long staring contest with this doe. She knew I was there but didn't know what I was. During this staring contest, 6 more doe joined her. I've never had that amount of deer underneath my stand before. :eek: She stamped her foot at me for the loongest time until she just turned her head enough to let me draw back and release.......

BUT...I missed:mad:. It's been a long time since I've bowhunted and I had the upper part of my stand a little to high for comfort and the lower part of the bow made contact with the stand which threw off my aim. Shot the arrow right over her back and the whole herd took off....:shaking::shaking:

I waited and waited. Heard them blowing at each other, so I decided to nock another arrow. They came back around and the same doe that I took a shot at was leading the group. I decided to go ahead and draw and hold it until I got a clear shot. That damn doe gave me a 1'x1' window at 15 yards. I hit her right in the heart/lungs. The muzzy broadhead did the work and she dropped like she was hit by a dumptruck. I sat there for 10 mins just collecting myself and then decided to climb down out of the tree. She was still alive(but didn't know it) so I dispatched her with my 45acp pistol(overkill but all I had) and walked back to the house around 8am.

Told everyone what I got and the FIL(cooking christmas lunch) yells "Merry Christmas! :lol:" The wife is still half asleep but she did come out and help towards the end. She ended up helping quite a bit when it was time to clean the fat off etc.

Total meat haul was around 25lbs. I made a bunch of it into jerky, 8 lbs into burger, and the rest will be backstrap/tenderloin.

Great FIRST bow kill, already planning next year to this place....:burnout:

1612670392644.png

Don’t let it get to you I missed a doe this year at 15 yards at last light shot right under her. And I don’t have an excuse just shot right under her. Smoked one from the same stand 2 weeks later. Just set your stand up in a tree and practice outta it some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@mommucked and @Loganwayne great advice. When she came back the second time I got a little more forward in the stand and got the bow outside of it. Definitely need to practice more and buy some new arrows as well.

Little late to the party and a loonng story...but here we go.

I got permission to hunt my in-laws 36 acre tract in Raleigh. A little backstory...I've been wanting to hunt this property for the last....16 years that I have been with their daughter( (7 years dating/9 years married). I've always been told, NOPE! No hunting at all, all you can do is fish the ponds etc...All the other farms in this area are hunted heavily with NO pressure on this "sanctuary" of my inlaws.

5 days before Christmas, I get a call from my father in law(which is normal). Conversation is straight forward enough(wondering when we would be in town etc) and then towards the end asked how I would hunt his property. I mentioned my bow and he said I'll allow it....

JACKPOT

Immediately made some changes to our vacation trip/loadout and loaded up the truck with my bow, climbing stand, and a cooler. Now I haven't shot my bow in YEARS, but its a quality Hoyt bow with quality arrows and muzzy broadheads so shouldn't be an issue...

I decide to hunt Christmas morning(only morning that I could effectively hunt, everything else would be evening). I talked with my FIL and BIL about where the deer moved during the morning/evening hours and decided on where to place my stand. I got up super early on Christmas morning and debated on whether or not to put my long johns on(I did, thankfully)...

It was a 10 min walk with my stand to where I wanted to setup. I saw one doe behind his shop when I was walking in so I took it as a good sign. Got in the tree super early and "napped" until shooting hour. Right at shooting hour it started to snow on me, which I've never sat in a deer stand when it was snowing, so that was awesome(thank god for long johns).

5 mins later, a doe snuck up on me about 20 yards. I hooked my release and then got into a 10min long staring contest with this doe. She knew I was there but didn't know what I was. During this staring contest, 6 more doe joined her. I've never had that amount of deer underneath my stand before. :eek: She stamped her foot at me for the loongest time until she just turned her head enough to let me draw back and release.......

BUT...I missed:mad:. It's been a long time since I've bowhunted and I had the upper part of my stand a little to high for comfort and the lower part of the bow made contact with the stand which threw off my aim. Shot the arrow right over her back and the whole herd took off....:shaking::shaking:

I waited and waited. Heard them blowing at each other, so I decided to nock another arrow. They came back around and the same doe that I took a shot at was leading the group. I decided to go ahead and draw and hold it until I got a clear shot. That damn doe gave me a 1'x1' window at 15 yards. I hit her right in the heart/lungs. The muzzy broadhead did the work and she dropped like she was hit by a dumptruck. I sat there for 10 mins just collecting myself and then decided to climb down out of the tree. She was still alive(but didn't know it) so I dispatched her with my 45acp pistol(overkill but all I had) and walked back to the house around 8am.

Told everyone what I got and the FIL(cooking christmas lunch) yells "Merry Christmas! :lol:" The wife is still half asleep but she did come out and help towards the end. She ended up helping quite a bit when it was time to clean the fat off etc.

Total meat haul was around 25lbs. I made a bunch of it into jerky, 8 lbs into burger, and the rest will be backstrap/tenderloin.

Great FIRST bow kill, already planning next year to this place....:burnout:

View attachment 337817

Congrats! I've got a coworker that has a few acres off Poole Rd and the deer decimate her vegetable garden each year. I offered to get rid of some for her a few years ago, but she's a big animal lover and was borderline offended that I suggested it. Then last year she asked if my offer still stood, but Raleigh was not allowing urban archery so I had to decline. It wasn't until recently that I learned she lives just outside the city limits...maybe this fall she'll accept my offer!

Back