NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

To @Loganwayne point hahah.

6F919DA8-1C02-4954-96B5-AB9653B2E374.jpeg

Nothing about hunting out west is cheap for the southern boys. I may make it to Ohio or Missouri this year to hunt with some friends.
My old roommate is applying for Utah elk and wanted me to apply with him.

Hell We’ve got a place to stay in Alaska and a guide to hunt with for free but I still can’t swing that trip yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing about hunting out west is cheap for the southern boys. I may make it to Ohio or Missouri this year to hunt with some friends.
My old roommate is applying for Utah elk and wanted me to apply with him.

Hell We’ve got a place to stay in Alaska and a guide to hunt with for free but I still can’t swing that trip yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it’s not cheap no matter how you skin it. Last year I pretty much put other hobbies on the back burner to make it work and will do again this year if I draw. Applied for elk, deer and antelope in WY like usual. I will say, it’s daunting to drop the money not knowing whether you’ll come home with full coolers, but the experience is beyond worth it with the right people.

Congrats! I've got a coworker that has a few acres off Poole Rd and the deer decimate her vegetable garden each year. I offered to get rid of some for her a few years ago, but she's a big animal lover and was borderline offended that I suggested it. Then last year she asked if my offer still stood, but Raleigh was not allowing urban archery so I had to decline. It wasn't until recently that I learned she lives just outside the city limits...maybe this fall she'll accept my offer!
"Wasn't allowing urban archery" :lol:

When I was at state every day had the potential to be urban archery season.

"Wasn't allowing urban archery" [emoji38]

When I was at state every day had the potential to be urban archery season.
When I worked in Charlotte, I had a coworker that fed the deer nearby that knew which window to look in when the feeder went dry. He was a religious hunter, but those were his pets. He didn't like when I joked about cutting a hole in his window & bringing my crossbow to work!

When I go to the office in Raleigh, it's a normal sight to see deer in the mornings & cooler afternoons. I've even had coworkers sending pics of deer in the parking lot just to get under my skin.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

When I worked in Charlotte, I had a coworker that fed the deer nearby that knew which window to look in when the feeder went dry. He was a religious hunter, but those were his pets. He didn't like when I joked about cutting a hole in his window & bringing my crossbow to work!

When I go to the office in Raleigh, it's a normal sight to see deer in the mornings & cooler afternoons. I've even had coworkers sending pics of deer in the parking lot just to get under my skin.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Legend has it some boone & crocket caliber studs have been pulled off centennial campus over the years. But that's all just hear say...

Well after this weekend I think I’d be getting some hog dogs if I didn’t live in town and hogs weren’t so far from the house in good numbers
The most fun I've ever had with my clothes on was running hogs with dogs. We chased one boar 2 miles one direction, crossed a river 3 times (late January) and then he beat up some dogs and headed back. Did the same route all the way back to where he was finally shot 100yds from where he was jumped. I destroyed a brand new pair of briar pants that day. I never pulled the trigger but had a bigger high than I have after shooting any buck or getting a limit of ducks.

The most fun I've ever had with my clothes on was running hogs with dogs. We chased one boar 2 miles one direction, crossed a river 3 times (late January) and then he beat up some dogs and headed back. Did the same route all the way back to where he was finally shot 100yds from where he was jumped. I destroyed a brand new pair of briar pants that day. I never pulled the trigger but had a bigger high than I have after shooting any buck or getting a limit of ducks.
these guys got close hunting bay and catch dogs. usually when they strike a pig your within a 100 yards of them. they killed 92 last year in three months just sticking them, they said this year is way down as some guys close by started trapping them and he thinks someone poisoned a big group but this weekend put them at 20 since Jan. 1.

Animal identification. Caught these pics of this animal on a trail cam last night. I’ve got an idea, but what do you guys think?
B8888E68-0468-45AB-A1D6-20F801C7EC7B.jpeg
AF6EC5B2-9949-4A8C-ABD7-3931AB912C38.jpeg

its a bobcat
I was thinking bobcat as well. But I have 5 cameras on the property for 2 years and my neighbor has 2 cameras on his and neither of us have had a bobcat show up. It’s big, I have deer and coyote walk past that spot and he looks every bit the size of the coyotes that I’ve seen.

Honestly it could be a cougar if its as big as you say. Tail looks a tad long for a bobcat but hard to tell in the pics. There have been confirmed spottings of cougars in north eastern gaston county on game cams. Black bears as well.

I was thinking bobcat as well. But I have 5 cameras on the property for 2 years and my neighbor has 2 cameras on his and neither of us have had a bobcat show up. It’s big, I have deer and coyote walk past that spot and he looks every bit the size of the coyotes that I’ve seen.
cats have a BIG home range. they will travel a couple miles every night if they need to. ive had a camera up in the same spot for 3 years and just got a pictures of a cat last week. a camera maybe 200 yards away has caught cats several times, and coyotes and foxes. On top of that ive walked up on a cat and didnt see it until i about stepped on it, they could go right by your stand and you wouldn't know if you weren't really pay attention. Its probably a big tom cat looking for love.

cats have a BIG home range. they will travel a couple miles every night if they need to. ive had a camera up in the same spot for 3 years and just got a pictures of a cat last week. a camera maybe 200 yards away has caught cats several times, and coyotes and foxes. On top of that ive walked up on a cat and didnt see it until i about stepped on it, they could go right by your stand and you wouldn't know if you weren't really pay attention. Its probably a big tom cat looking for love.
Yup. 100% bobcat. It'sa big one, but definitely not a cougar. Body is too short, ears are too pointy and no long tail. You can sort of make out his spots and can see the black outlines on his ears. We have one around that comes through every once in a while. It's not surprising that you haven't had him on camera before.

I’ve read before that a male bobcat will have a 30 mile radius he travels when looking for a female? I get them occasionally on cam. Have shot 1 years ago. Now let them walk. If it was a real big 1. I would probably shoot. I’ll try and post a video of 1 that walked in front of me this year on a pipeline

9F996486-4669-4182-803C-154285B46E02.jpeg
7FD2721E-64A6-4DF7-A739-2DCE5902B084.jpeg

well the video was to long. Took some screen shots. Now. Every coyote I see. I try and get a shot on. Shot a coyote this year trailing a bear on to the corn field. When I shot the coyote. It dropped, the bear was about 3 rows into the corn. He didn’t flinch. Sat there and ate. Came out about 5 minutes later and smelled the coyote. I told my daughter to keep and eye on it. Thought it would drag it off? It just sat there and looked around? 20 minutes later. 3 more coyotes came out. I shot and believe missed. It was about 250 years?

22710B0F-9C84-4B8B-B22F-52344374D361.jpeg
CCA89DA9-0C2F-4FD8-903F-CFA3A5C65C09.jpeg

the top pic is looking down the field from another day. If you zoom in you can actually see a bear in the swag? Second pic is of the bear sitting by the dead coyote? You can see the coyote laying behind him. When I shot at the next group of coyotes. The bear hauled ass. My daughter said it took off like a bolt of lightening. I had to use my binoculars and line up my phone to get that second pic. Field is pretty long

Back