NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

:rockon:

Screenshot_20210305-122753_Chrome.jpg

She’s wild and iirc this is the 4th season I have pics of her.
She is a perfect example of the fact that turkeys have basically no natural predators left. 200yrs ago she would have been eaten by a wolf or cougar before maturity. She's also a pretty good indicator that coyotes don't prey on adults or pullets. She sticks out like a sore thumb and should be easily picked off if anything wanted to eat her.

I’d take that bet. I’ve found a white hen in a place I walked about 8 miles into the woods to get to. I’m sure it happens but I don’t think it’s anywhere common.

my buddy has about 10 free range turkeys on his place and we pick up almost all his hens eggs and hatch about 1/2 and none have been mixed birds and we’ve never seen a wild turkey with his farm turkeys
I would bet a paycheck, as mediocre as it may be, that there was genetic introduction as opposed to genetic mutation in regards to that hen. I only say this because I have her twin as a domesticated turkey on the farm.

She is a perfect example of the fact that turkeys have basically no natural predators left. 200yrs ago she would have been eaten by a wolf or cougar before maturity. She's also a pretty good indicator that coyotes don't prey on adults or pullets. She sticks out like a sore thumb and should be easily picked off if anything wanted to eat her.

I disagree, adult wild turkeys are smart and have 270* of eyesight, they are cautious and they hear very well. It's hard for any predator to sneak up on them. They can run very fast, they can jump and flap their wings and go straight up like a helicopter or just fly away from danger. They also like to stick together and there's safety in #s.
I was about 45' up a tree in a climbing stand in creek bottom years ago when I saw a rafter of turkeys coming down the creek towards me. It was winter, late afternoon and the birds were spread out and moving slowly, scratching and picking as they made their way through the thickets and towards me. A big tom took off and flew a few hundred yrds and landed on a branch about 40 yrds from me. I had no blaze on and the tom never looked at me. He landed, turned around, lowered his head and studied the thick brush and rushes, obviously looking for predators. About 10/15 mins. later the other birds were under him and I and he started to cluck, another tom clucked back and the tom beside me flew down.The other tom flew up and further down the creek and landed up high to search for danger for the rest again. Turkeys have skills to keep them safe from trouble.

Last edited:
Speaking of turkeys.... I took this picture out of my kitchen window last month. I found a roost tree this afternoon. Feathers everywhere. Funny thing is that it's 100yds from my house straight back. I wouldn't think they would be comfortable that close... We loud...
IMG_20210219_073006030.jpg

No
I disagree, adult wild turkeys are smart and have 270* of eyesight, they are cautious and they hear very well. It's hard for any predator to sneak up on them. They can run very fast, they can jump and flap their wings and go straight up like a helicopter or just fly away from danger. They also like to stick together and there's safety in #s.
I was about 45' up a tree in a climbing stand in creek bottom years ago when I saw a rafter of turkeys coming down the creek towards me. It was winter, late afternoon and the birds were spread out and moving slowly, scratching and picking as they made their way through the thickets and towards me. A big tom took off and flew a few hundred yrds and landed on a branch about 40 yrds from me. I had no blaze on and the tom never looked at me. He landed, turned around, lowered his head and studied the thick brush and rushes, obviously looking for predators. About 10/15 mins. later the other birds were under him and I and he started to cluck, another tom clucked back and the the tom beside me flew down.The other tom flew up and further down the creek and landed up high to search for danger for the rest again. Turkeys have skills to keep them safe from trouble.
No doubt, turkeys are fantastic at avoiding predators. The fact remains though that white animals don't naturally last very long, especially on the ground. Darwin always wins in nature.

Not a bad weekend, cold and hard fishing but both days were got into fish that were flirting with 2lbs and had one break 2lbs.

also won the fishing tournament on Saturday. With a 2 lb gap on second place.

Attachments

• B8FA4E23-8075-42E8-8BEF-48C08AB6D7C3.jpeg
    B8FA4E23-8075-42E8-8BEF-48C08AB6D7C3.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 89
  • CB9923F9-CACE-463B-8B55-ED591FEA6F94.png
    CB9923F9-CACE-463B-8B55-ED591FEA6F94.png
    768.1 KB · Views: 116
  • E7922D03-CDD0-4069-9C43-1E963678E549.jpeg
    E7922D03-CDD0-4069-9C43-1E963678E549.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 80
I get that look from my wife. Can confirm it's not amused.
I had called a boss hen and tom from 1/4 mile, when they hung up I moved on them. I was running towards them when I heard them getting close. There were no big trees for me to sit against just 8/10" trunks, there was a big old tree trunk laying on the ground and rootball, I layed beside the trunk w just my head and arms and gun and up against the rootball. The hen came raceing down the hill and stopped 15 yrds from me and put the stink eye right on me then she started putting, took a few steps still looking at me and ran off fast.The tom came along and I shot him dead. I Wondered how she could see me a mask,gloves and a shotgun wrapped w camo ace bandage. Then I looked at my fiber optic bead and it was bright from the sun. I think that hen saw the bead and she didnt like it.

I had called a boss hen and tom from 1/4 mile, when they hung up I moved on them. I was running towards them when I heard them getting close. There were no big trees for me to sit against just 8/10" trunks, there was a big old tree trunk laying on the ground and rootball, I layed beside the trunk w just my head and arms and gun and up against the rootball. The hen came raceing down the hill and stopped 15 yrds from me and put the stink eye right on me then she started putting, took a few steps still looking at me and ran off fast.The tom came along and I shot him dead. I Wondered how she could see me a mask,gloves and a shotgun wrapped w camo ace bandage. Then I looked at my fiber optic bead and it was bright from the sun. I think that hen saw the bead and she didnt like it.
Or since it's a bird she may have thought it could be a tasty snack.

Killed a nice long beard this am. Had several gobbling at farm next to me. I was hunting a smaller piece I have permission on and have had a lot of luck on. The birds just need to be near you though to be able to get them to come to you. Heard 3 good gobblers this am that where spaced out and some jakes in between them. Heard probably over 100 gobbles between all the birds. Funny thing is that yesterday I never heard a gobble (not this farm though). Birds got quiet about 7:20. Was getting ready to leave when I thru some yelps out and as soon as I started cutting. They started gobbling right below me. 5 minutes later I had 2 long beards in front of me. Shot the strutting Tom, but both looked identical beard wise. Didn’t notice till I got home that he had 2 beards! That is my first double beard bird. Hope you guys are having some luck. 21 1/4 pounds, 10 1/4 inch beard and 1 1/8 Spurs. :beer:

Attachments

• 9AA77450-6A26-4C7E-BB2D-71ECB4F452AD.jpeg
    9AA77450-6A26-4C7E-BB2D-71ECB4F452AD.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 76
  • A83DD4EE-71C0-4F67-BB04-A2CC68480878.jpeg
    A83DD4EE-71C0-4F67-BB04-A2CC68480878.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 78
The brim are hot right now. I musta caught about a dozen of these within 30 minutes. All on beetle spin while out piddling in the kayak. Congaree National Park.
IMG_20210418_135052413_HDR.jpg

Back