Need input on comfortable shoes

Plantar-fasciitis put me down to shots didn't do squat. I went to the chiropractor and he had some foot mapping machine. 240 bucks for a pair of insoles and have never looked back. I run Merrell Moabs with the insoles. I do six to nine miles on concrete daily. The arches appear to say foot levelers arch advantage

Anyone giving you a brand recommendation is just looking for confirmation bias.

Every foot is so different and most (good) shoe manufacturers make different shoes for different feet type.
Even though you say tennis shoes are out, for the (free) cost it would be worth visiting a running store and having them map your foot and gait.

For example, I have had major knee issues my whole life and have never been able to run for exercise without serious knee and ankle pain. About 2 years ago I learned about foot mapping.
Turns out I have a "super weird" foot.
1) My foot is completely flat. They had me step on an ink pad and then walk. There is no instep missing when doing this. You see an entire foot. Typically folks with a "low instep" will have a 15-20% cut out. So even low instep shoes were killing me.
2) Further compounding my trouble everyone naturally "rolls" their foot in or out when they walk....most flat feet roll inward and most high arches roll outward. The heel of the sole needs to account for this. Well I have a flat foot that rolls out.

There are like 4 total shoes designed for this combo. None of them look very stylish. But I bought a pari of tennis shoes that cost $100 are ugly as hell...and I can run until my lungs give out (so like 80') or stand all day and have zero foot/knee/ankle pain.
Nope

I wear Cole hann everyday and so does half the guys I work with. They are a nice shoe with a super comfortable sole.

Best shoes I have ever worn.

The one brand I didnt see mentioned is chaco, they make comfortable shoes. I normally stick with keen or Salomon.

The neuropathy is related to Diabetes. That's the first issue. Have also so had three knee surgeries, the last being a total knee replacement, that didn't do well, and is loose. Because of all the limping over the last 7 years, the other knee is going,..... fast. I also have sciatica, which I also think is a result of the issues with the replacement. Often I sit on my ass for long periods, because it hurts too much to walk. Sitting don't hurt, but often does cause my feet to swell.

It was also mentioned about going barefooted, even in the house. I don't, I can't. I will always be found with at least bedroom shoes. Smallest piece of grit, to me feels like stepping on a Lego.

I'm gonna look for a place that can give me a better fitment. Most likely, I'll need to go to Hickory or Asheville. Either is about the same trip for me.

I appreciate everyone who has responded. I don't cheap out on shoes. The Georgia boots are not cheap, and they last for a long time. But it would be nice to be able to wear a shoe.
Georgia boots did at one time, make a shoe, that looked just like the boots. @89wrangler was wearing a pair when he cam over to visit once. But searching, I have not been able to find them. I am thinking they may have been discontinued.
What do you wear for socks? That could really make a difference as well.
Consider getting some really good merino wool socks, like Darn tough. Thicker, supportive socks will provide a lot more cushion, and you can wear them around the house to prevent that problem of grit causing discomfort etc.
If you get good merino wool, they will help well with moisture wicking and won't be hot during the summer.

Seriously, have you been to talk to a podiatrist? They literally specialize in this very thing.
My wife has really weird feet (she wears a size 2 - like the same as our 8 y/o daughter - but they are the width of like a 4 or 5 at least. Always had leg pain. Went to a podiatrist and learned that one leg was slightly longer than the other, and like Ron is very flat footed. They made her a special inset that fixed it, and her leg pain went away.

My primary care sent me out for depth shoes with a tri density orthotic. Went to Biotech Prosthetics Orthotics in Greensboro. They took a foam impression of my feet. I came back and was fitted with a pair each of Drew walking shoes and boots for work. Both had a custom foam insert and a couple of flat inserts to dial the fit in. Most comfortable foot ware I have ever worn. And I do have that neuropathy thing going on. This has been my experience.

Chip, yes those were discontinued for some reason. Best shoes ever. When I found this out, through a sale email, I bought two pairs at that time. I have been battling plantar fasciitis issues for the last few years. Doctor, shots in foot and close to surgery, ended up tearing one in right foot. Talking about pain.... Anyway during all of this I was introduced to good insoles. Not the cheap Walmart, drup store crap or gel ones. Night and day difference. I will not where a pair of shoes without them. Expensive, yes, but so worth it. They will even make mediocre shoes feel good. I like sketchers, but without that so called memory foam. Rip that shit out and put some good insoles in. Total comfort. I will give a shout out to croc flip flops as they have some great arch support and comfort for all day. I also have the ugliest pair of slippers from foot doc to where around the house. Never barefooted anymore.

The neuropathy is related to Diabetes. That's the first issue. Have also so had three knee surgeries, the last being a total knee replacement, that didn't do well, and is loose. Because of all the limping over the last 7 years, the other knee is going,..... fast. I also have sciatica, which I also think is a result of the issues with the replacement. Often I sit on my ass for long periods, because it hurts too much to walk. Sitting don't hurt, but often does cause my feet to swell.

It was also mentioned about going barefooted, even in the house. I don't, I can't. I will always be found with at least bedroom shoes. Smallest piece of grit, to me feels like stepping on a Lego.

I'm gonna look for a place that can give me a better fitment. Most likely, I'll need to go to Hickory or Asheville. Either is about the same trip for me.

I appreciate everyone who has responded. I don't cheap out on shoes. The Georgia boots are not cheap, and they last for a long time. But it would be nice to be able to wear a shoe.
Georgia boots did at one time, make a shoe, that looked just like the boots. @89wrangler was wearing a pair when he cam over to visit once. But searching, I have not been able to find them. I am thinking they may have been discontinued.
I too have problems with feet swelling, while driving or sitting long. Along with some vein problems, I was told to wear over the calf compression socks. Some call it support hose. Comp socks aren't cheap either, but the last a long time & do help! Your Doctor can suggest the compression rate & length, as they do vary.

Chip, yes those were discontinued for some reason. Best shoes ever. When I found this out, through a sale email, I bought two pairs at that time. I have been battling plantar fasciitis issues for the last few years. Doctor, shots in foot and close to surgery, ended up tearing one in right foot. Talking about pain.... Anyway during all of this I was introduced to good insoles. Not the cheap Walmart, drup store crap or gel ones. Night and day difference. I will not where a pair of shoes without them. Expensive, yes, but so worth it. They will even make mediocre shoes feel good. I like sketchers, but without that so called memory foam. Rip that shit out and put some good insoles in. Total comfort. I will give a shout out to croc flip flops as they have some great arch support and comfort for all day. I also have the ugliest pair of slippers from foot doc to where around the house. Never barefooted anymore.
I have a lot of issues with plantar fasciitis as well. For that I agree with the non memory foam sketchers. I have three pairs of the goga max for work and a set of the goga max flip flops for the house.

My Dad (RIP) had neuropathy (feet numb, tingling, pins/needles, burning/freezing) for his last 10+ years... something I equated with YEARS spent standing on concrete shops floors in cheap work boots and sitting on the throne "reading the paper" until his lower body was asleep. He had a lot of varying "treatments" over the years to alleviate the symptoms... with little-no change.

He complained that they ached when not wearing shoes and wearing his current shoes, so Mom took him to the "Good Feet" store.
They mapped his feet, made some hard plastic orthotic inserts (supposedly correcting some alignment issues), and got him a couple pairs of shoes (same everything except color) that felt good.
He said they were comfortable and would put them on as soon as he got out of bed in the AM.

I will +1000 the Keens... on my 4th(5th?) pair of boots, a set of their Newport "sandals", and my "office" shoes are Keens (moc toe w/o rubber toecap).
Bought the first pair of boots and put 15 miles on them straight out of the box (Hillsville flea-market)... ZERO issues or foot pain and have been sold since.

If you've ever seen Slingblade, you should ask that big girl from the dollar store. I recall her having comfortable shoes... :D

My experience has been that it didn't matter so much the brand or model, but I always tried to stick with a particular Vibram sole and a decent insole. It just happens that I wear Wolverines with the BOA lacing system.

I looked up Stores near me today, & found 1 in Belmont NC. Had great reviews, so gave them a try. Lady owner that has done shoes for Years, watched my walk, & I showed her an old Worn pair, indicating my wear patterns. Tried on 3 different pairs, all comfortable, just slight differences in arch. Decided on 1, but waiting til she gets a Wide pair in. I want to try wide, against standard, before I purchase. She said I had minor problems, & the Comfort level was mostly in the cushioning. She mostly deal in Brooks shoes, which is what I'll be buying. I mentioned going to "Good Feet" , years back, & they Stuck me with some ridiculous arch supports, which they Refused to refund on! Brook's lady said she too had heard horror stories on Good Feet.

When I mention ed weird feet, the running shoes I ended up with were Brooks.
I think a Dyad maybe...but again it was an oddball

Of the many who have posted, do any of you suffer from neuropathy?
I do. I wear old Merrill slip ons around the house and yard and have a good pair to wear with jeans when going out. My go to shoe is black Brooks Addiction walkers (Like old people use!) I have Durango WALKING square toe boots for riding the Harley and standing around while doing Harley things lol, and Wolverine work boots that I can barely wear. Make SURE you get them wide enough to give you room to move. The last thing you want is for the nerves between your toe bones to rub. I have extremely high arches (a sign of Neoropathy and I went to a Podiatrist and got custom insole that I use in the Brooks and Harley boots but not in the others. My Neuropathy is not extreme. Also look into some quality socks such as Thorlo made for hiking and walking. they have extra padding in heels and balls of foot.

I'm right there with you on the foot pain. I've got nephropathy after having orthotripsy done on my feet for that evil plantar fasciitis and it sucks. I'm trying my first pair of Saucony with the form fit insoles right now and they are the bomb! I've been wearing Merrell's for years mainly because the wifey could get them for $10 a pair but they aren't a good shoe for my condition. Like others have said, go to a shoe store and try a pair of these out. I got the trail model so the shoes wouldn't have the large white soles. Remember only the form fit insoles. Good luck.

Back