Need input on comfortable shoes

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by upnover, Mar 13, 2019.

1. a_kelley

a_kelley mister mechanical fixer

X whatever on Keen's.

Also check out GB shoes. Decent prices and great selection.

Jody Treadway likes this.
  2. Willc

Willc Well-Known Member

Plantar-fasciitis put me down to shots didn't do squat. I went to the chiropractor and he had some foot mapping machine. 240 bucks for a pair of insoles and have never looked back. I run Merrell Moabs with the insoles. I do six to nine miles on concrete daily. The arches appear to say foot levelers arch advantage

3. BRUISER

BRUISER silent.. but deadly Moderator

Nope

I wear Cole hann everyday and so does half the guys I work with. They are a nice shoe with a super comfortable sole.

Best shoes I have ever worn.

4. anvilrubi

anvilrubi Well-Known Member

Asolo fugitives

5. junkxj

junkxj Well poop!

The one brand I didnt see mentioned is chaco, they make comfortable shoes. I normally stick with keen or Salomon.

6. RatLabGuy

RatLabGuy You look like a monkey and smell like one too

What do you wear for socks? That could really make a difference as well.
    Consider getting some really good merino wool socks, like Darn tough. Thicker, supportive socks will provide a lot more cushion, and you can wear them around the house to prevent that problem of grit causing discomfort etc.
    If you get good merino wool, they will help well with moisture wicking and won't be hot during the summer.

Seriously, have you been to talk to a podiatrist? They literally specialize in this very thing.
    My wife has really weird feet (she wears a size 2 - like the same as our 8 y/o daughter - but they are the width of like a 4 or 5 at least. Always had leg pain. Went to a podiatrist and learned that one leg was slightly longer than the other, and like Ron is very flat footed. They made her a special inset that fixed it, and her leg pain went away.

trailhugger and shawn like this.
  7. PAT Ventures

PAT Ventures Well-Known Member

My primary care sent me out for depth shoes with a tri density orthotic. Went to Biotech Prosthetics Orthotics in Greensboro. They took a foam impression of my feet. I came back and was fitted with a pair each of Drew walking shoes and boots for work. Both had a custom foam insert and a couple of flat inserts to dial the fit in. Most comfortable foot ware I have ever worn. And I do have that neuropathy thing going on. This has been my experience.

trailhugger and Ron like this.
  8. 89wrangler

89wrangler Not a new member

Chip, yes those were discontinued for some reason. Best shoes ever. When I found this out, through a sale email, I bought two pairs at that time. I have been battling plantar fasciitis issues for the last few years. Doctor, shots in foot and close to surgery, ended up tearing one in right foot. Talking about pain.... Anyway during all of this I was introduced to good insoles. Not the cheap Walmart, drup store crap or gel ones. Night and day difference. I will not where a pair of shoes without them. Expensive, yes, but so worth it. They will even make mediocre shoes feel good. I like sketchers, but without that so called memory foam. Rip that shit out and put some good insoles in. Total comfort. I will give a shout out to croc flip flops as they have some great arch support and comfort for all day. I also have the ugliest pair of slippers from foot doc to where around the house. Never barefooted anymore.

9. rodney eppes

rodney eppes Well-Known Member

I too have problems with feet swelling, while driving or sitting long. Along with some vein problems, I was told to wear over the calf compression socks. Some call it support hose. Comp socks aren't cheap either, but the last a long time & do help! Your Doctor can suggest the compression rate & length, as they do vary.

10. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

Nah, he just needs some timberlands.

11. k5-1402

k5-1402 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of issues with plantar fasciitis as well. For that I agree with the non memory foam sketchers. I have three pairs of the goga max for work and a set of the goga max flip flops for the house.

McCracken likes this.
  12. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Just holdin' it down here in BFV Moderator

My Dad (RIP) had neuropathy (feet numb, tingling, pins/needles, burning/freezing) for his last 10+ years... something I equated with YEARS spent standing on concrete shops floors in cheap work boots and sitting on the throne "reading the paper" until his lower body was asleep. He had a lot of varying "treatments" over the years to alleviate the symptoms... with little-no change.

He complained that they ached when not wearing shoes and wearing his current shoes, so Mom took him to the "Good Feet" store.
    They mapped his feet, made some hard plastic orthotic inserts (supposedly correcting some alignment issues), and got him a couple pairs of shoes (same everything except color) that felt good.
    He said they were comfortable and would put them on as soon as he got out of bed in the AM.

I will +1000 the Keens... on my 4th(5th?) pair of boots, a set of their Newport "sandals", and my "office" shoes are Keens (moc toe w/o rubber toecap).
    Bought the first pair of boots and put 15 miles on them straight out of the box (Hillsville flea-market)... ZERO issues or foot pain and have been sold since.

13. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid More parts than a 9 dollar chicken bucket!

If you've ever seen Slingblade, you should ask that big girl from the dollar store. I recall her having comfortable shoes... :D

My experience has been that it didn't matter so much the brand or model, but I always tried to stick with a particular Vibram sole and a decent insole. It just happens that I wear Wolverines with the BOA lacing system.

14. rodney eppes

rodney eppes Well-Known Member

I looked up Stores near me today, & found 1 in Belmont NC. Had great reviews, so gave them a try. Lady owner that has done shoes for Years, watched my walk, & I showed her an old Worn pair, indicating my wear patterns. Tried on 3 different pairs, all comfortable, just slight differences in arch. Decided on 1, but waiting til she gets a Wide pair in. I want to try wide, against standard, before I purchase. She said I had minor problems, & the Comfort level was mostly in the cushioning. She mostly deal in Brooks shoes, which is what I'll be buying. I mentioned going to "Good Feet" , years back, & they Stuck me with some ridiculous arch supports, which they Refused to refund on! Brook's lady said she too had heard horror stories on Good Feet.

15. Ron

Ron Dum Spiro Spero Moderator

When I mention ed weird feet, the running shoes I ended up with were Brooks.
    I think a Dyad maybe...but again it was an oddball

rodney eppes likes this.
  16. R Q

R Q Well-Known Member

I do. I wear old Merrill slip ons around the house and yard and have a good pair to wear with jeans when going out. My go to shoe is black Brooks Addiction walkers (Like old people use!) I have Durango WALKING square toe boots for riding the Harley and standing around while doing Harley things lol, and Wolverine work boots that I can barely wear. Make SURE you get them wide enough to give you room to move. The last thing you want is for the nerves between your toe bones to rub. I have extremely high arches (a sign of Neoropathy and I went to a Podiatrist and got custom insole that I use in the Brooks and Harley boots but not in the others. My Neuropathy is not extreme. Also look into some quality socks such as Thorlo made for hiking and walking. they have extra padding in heels and balls of foot.

rodney eppes and upnover like this.