Now for something really different

Since I wrapped up the rear fabrication I ordered matching Bilstein 5125s for the rear.

a915d169f2174d2db0be9fe1d5838a58.jpeg

Today was all about making brake lines. This was my second cut at it as the first attempt was a glorious failure. Once I thought about it some I figured our an easy(er) way to make the bends. I am using bulkhead fittings at the rear and will fab up some braded stainless lines to go down to the calipers.

e8e4ce6c7fb74ea28070805fbd72e74e.jpeg

88df2a3c0a0744e0b0779878e9890cd7.jpeg

479fa2026ab7462d8abb1ae63b196bf3.jpeg

c1421e8288464276971314e54a92a8b9.jpeg

Will the spring pack come up beside the frame under full load or a hard bump and break those bulkhead fittings off?

Will the spring pack come up beside the frame under full load or a hard bump and break those bulkhead fittings off?

If the spring pack gets that high up to break the bulkhead I believe I would have more issues to worry about. When we tested the springs 800 pounds only squated the frame 1/2 an inch. But I will probably have a bump stop added just to be on the safe side.

If the spring pack gets that high up to break the bulkhead I believe I would have more issues to worry about. When we tested the springs 800 pounds only squated the frame 1/2 an inch. But I will probably have a bump stop added just to be on the safe side.
Ok I cant see where the springs mount or how heavily loaded you will be but with the springs mounted outboard of the frame there is the possibility of the axle traveling all the way up until the tube hits the frame. Just a thought.

Big step tonight, we got the 2018 Dodge bed set on the truck. I gotta say I am damned pleased with how everything lines up. Plus this thing is going to be huge!! You will notice the gap between the cab and the bed. This is the area that will be filled by my custom bed box. Once I get the main bed's permanent mounts made I will get to building the box.

9793580f6d184612ad3ec0308edd26c9.jpeg

24ce97d4c01a49c698240f3587f087d3.jpeg

b3a97f3ec18746ad906f5bad6a064031.jpeg

and the scale shot.....

ee1f4590f0d046dd8e06fee9a42cf767.jpeg

That's freaking sweeeet! It doesn't look TOO tall. What's the measurement to the bed floor from the ground?

Not sure how tall Mr. @Buffy is but my 2wd 3500 tailgate was right at my belt buckle my 4wd 3500 is a couple inches taller (both stock suspension) and I’m 6’ in my work boots so by the looks of it it’s not that tall at all. This thing is too cool! I’m really interested to see this bed box idea come to life.

Not sure how tall Mr. @Buffy is but my 2wd 3500 tailgate was right at my belt buckle my 4wd 3500 is a couple inches taller (both stock suspension) and I’m 6’ in my work boots so by the looks of it it’s not that tall at all. This thing is too cool! I’m really interested to see this bed box idea come to life.

I am 6’2” maybe a little more with shoes. I will have to measure the height of the bed floor tomorrow.

From a progress perspective we have figured out the bed mounts and should finish getting them mocked up tomorrow. After that we need to figure out the 5th wheel mount. When all that is finished it is time to build “the box”!

I was just asking because it looks to be at a very reasonable and useful height for things such as a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer!

I was just asking because it looks to be at a very reasonable and useful height for things such as a gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer!

I hope so as we are going through the trouble of putting a B&W 5th wheel hitch under it. I will measure the bed height tonight and post what it is. The bed mounts are coming together much nicer than I was thinking not to mention simpler.

Are you going to try and match the contour of the bed with your box? If you can transition the contour of each end together with the box, it will look like a factory setup.... badass for sure.

I know you likely dont have plans now, but this setup would be pretty sweet to beef the bed floor and add a dump to, at some point.

Are you going to try and match the contour of the bed with your box? If you can transition the contour of each end together with the box, it will look like a factory setup.... badass for sure.

I know you likely dont have plans now, but this setup would be pretty sweet to beef the bed floor and add a dump to, at some point.

Yes I will be matching the bed lines. If you look back in the thread you will see where I bought the back portion of a Dodge truck cab and a 2014 Dodge SRW bed. I will be cutting these up and making the box. I think it’s hard to visualize what’s in my head. But hopefully in the coming weeks it will make sense.

Oh and yea the dump bed idea has been floated around. I do like the idea of a dump bed just not sure I want to make it a dump bed. Still on the fence about it.

Not a lot of visual changes this week but we did get all the bed crossmembers cut to size and tacked in place. I’ll finish welding that when we remove the bed. Next week we will start figuring out the bed box. Fingers crossed I pull off what’s in my head!

I found a picture of the Dodge Long Hauler concept truck. This is where I got my idea of the bedbox. So what you see between the cab and the bed is what I will attempt to build.

8300fe6ade10476bbecec90b7a6e6ceb.jpeg

Last edited:
Not a lot of visual changes this week but we did get all the bed crossmembers cut to size and tacked in place. I’ll finish welding that when we remove the bed. Next week we will start figuring out the bed box. Fingers crossed I pull off what’s in my head!

I found a picture of the Dodge Long Hauler concept truck. This is where I got my idea of the bedbox. So what you see between the cab and the bed is what I will attempt to build.

8300fe6ade10476bbecec90b7a6e6ceb.jpeg
3EE08671-DC34-4A59-B562-AD213EA0862E.jpeg

I just can’t imagine. I’ve had 4door long beds and now I have a 4door megacab (6.5’ bed) I can usually fit them into “everyday situations” but that thing would be like driving/parking a locomotive!!

Starting to make some rough cuts on my pieces. Have the cab piece sectioned down to a manageable size. I am liking how the cab section fits with the bed. Next step is to get the bed cut and test fit. It is going to be interesting mating the two pieces together. I also may have to make some addition changes to the bed box where it matches up to the tire. Will just have to get everything set into place to get some ides.

Kind of hard to see the cab section because of it being black but here's some pictures.....

6a9dd023562644d386390d45a924aa76.jpeg

fbf834e3623e44e3be32a83375659017.jpeg

4971072d3a624431b8c0329ff617f260.jpeg

Could you reverse the bed side and shorten them, when you put them on, such that the factory wheel opening in the bed is behind the front truck tire? Hopefully that sentence makes sense.

Could you reverse the bed side and shorten them, when you put them on, such that the factory wheel opening in the bed is behind the front truck tire? Hopefully that sentence makes sense.

It took me a second before I realized what you were getting at. I hadn't thought about that but it is a good idea. I will need to use the bed end as it has everything I need for the "box" but I might can use a section of the wheel opening to refine that area and maintain those factory lines. This thing truly will be a Frankenstein's monster when I am done slicing and dicing parts and pieces.

I kinda wish it had a Duramax in it now....but it's still gunna be badass!

I kinda wish it had a Duramax in it now....but it's still gunna be badass!

Yea a Duramax or a 6BT would have been awesome but the project sort of evolved from the beginning. Based on the original wheel base I doubt either of those engine/trans combo would fit. I guess I'll just rock the 6.0 that sounds like a drag car. :D

Back