Off road vehicle insurance

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
Ok I know we've discussed it before....

But, need to get some thoughts about what others have done or are doing. Surely everyone isn't running around uninsured especially with $60k+ rigs?

Here is what I found today from talking with a local Allstate agent. I happens to come across their offering of UTV and off highway policies so I gave them a call. It actually went surprisingly well...

For my buggy. It's technically an 81 CJ5. Well, it started off that way and I have the VIN intact and the title. Discussing it with the agent, he said I'd have to get the title updated to "reconstructed" status because it's heavily modified and worth more than a typical 1981 CJ5. He said they would insur that vehicle that way and the replacement value would basically be agreed retail value. I could get liability as well so I could get a tag. They weren't too sure about collision because of the custom nature of the vehicle but I wasn't really interested in that anyway. I just want liability coverage and to be protected if someone steals the rig. So, there is a way and some light at the end of the tunnel.

As for mini buggy, I'm obviously not looking for anything so it can go on the road. So pretty much simple coverage incase someone decides to steal it. Maybe some liability if available. He knows it's custom built from scratch and is more of a UTV than an ATV. He said all I need is a VIN from the DMV so there are some identifying numbers on it and they would be able to insure it. Because it was completed this year and we expect a VIN this year, it would be listed as a 2017 model year. Without getting the replacement value nailed down yet but was told it would be comparable to a typical performance 2017 UTV, annual cost was quoted at about $160. It also comes with state minimum liability coverage as well.

So, looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel, maybe. Let's see what he says when it's actually time to write the policy and it's at underwriting...

One other option he did offer was to pick up a PUP (personal umbrella policy) which covers anything I own, even the buggies. That is part of homeowners and I'd have to switch agents to allstate and we would have to see if I qualify. Supposedly if you have a lot of toys, it's the most ideal way instead of getting policies for every minor thing.

We shall see..

So, this is what I've found. What is everyone else doing for insurance on your rig/buggy, both registered and not? Any better options?

From what my gf explained to me, you pretty much nailed it. If it's a vehicle of some sort (tagged or not) they can put it on an auto policy. Other stuff like side by sides or your mini buggy, they could add to your home owner's policy. I can't remember what she said about trailers though, but I want to say they add them on an auto policy too.

Ok I know we've discussed it before....

But, need to get some thoughts about what others have done or are doing. Surely everyone isn't running around uninsured especially with $60k+ rigs?

Here is what I found today from talking with a local Allstate agent. I happens to come across their offering of UTV and off highway policies so I gave them a call. It actually went surprisingly well...

For my buggy. It's technically an 81 CJ5. Well, it started off that way and I have the VIN intact and the title. Discussing it with the agent, he said I'd have to get the title updated to "reconstructed" status because it's heavily modified and worth more than a typical 1981 CJ5. He said they would insur that vehicle that way and the replacement value would basically be agreed retail value. I could get liability as well so I could get a tag. They weren't too sure about collision because of the custom nature of the vehicle but I wasn't really interested in that anyway. I just want liability coverage and to be protected if someone steals the rig. So, there is a way and some light at the end of the tunnel.

As for mini buggy, I'm obviously not looking for anything so it can go on the road. So pretty much simple coverage incase someone decides to steal it. Maybe some liability if available. He knows it's custom built from scratch and is more of a UTV than an ATV. He said all I need is a VIN from the DMV so there are some identifying numbers on it and they would be able to insure it. Because it was completed this year and we expect a VIN this year, it would be listed as a 2017 model year. Without getting the replacement value nailed down yet but was told it would be comparable to a typical performance 2017 UTV, annual cost was quoted at about $160. It also comes with state minimum liability coverage as well.

So, looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel, maybe. Let's see what he says when it's actually time to write the policy and it's at underwriting...

One other option he did offer was to pick up a PUP (personal umbrella policy) which covers anything I own, even the buggies. That is part of homeowners and I'd have to switch agents to allstate and we would have to see if I qualify. Supposedly if you have a lot of toys, it's the most ideal way instead of getting policies for every minor thing.

We shall see..

So, this is what I've found. What is everyone else doing for insurance on your rig/buggy, both registered and not? Any better options?
On a side note, I'd lime to hear more about the VIN process on something that isn't going to see road time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have full coverage on my Can Am covers current value of machine and I believe it's up to $4000 in mods, want to say it's a little over $410 a year.

From what my gf explained to me, you pretty much nailed it. If it's a vehicle of some sort (tagged or not) they can put it on an auto policy. Other stuff like side by sides or your mini buggy, they could add to your home owner's policy. I can't remember what she said about trailers though, but I want to say they add them on an auto policy too.

My trailers are covered under my auto policy. I talked in length about adding the buggies to homeowners... short answer is NO. Homeowners doesn't cover motorized vehicles aside from something like a lawnmower or other that was used exclusively for home maintenance and upkeep. I have, at the moment, State Farm.

I'd be more interested in ways to add the buggies to homeowners if your GF knows of a way and through who.

On a side note, I'd lime to hear more about the VIN process on something that isn't going to see road time.

I'm waiting to hear back from DMV. MVR-55 Builder Affadavit, which is used for a new VIN after rebuild or custom built vehicle specifically states the vehicle was built in accordance with safety laws for street use, etc. While this will work for my buggy, it won't work for mini. But thinking about it, aside from a horn, turn signals, DOT headlights, and DOT tires, I don't see why mini couldn't meet the requirements for use on the street. I may have to go that route just to get a VIN but surely the DMV would issue a non-highway use VIN and title so it can be insured.

Months ago I found a company that would insure the buggies... but only while racing, not recreational use. It was relatively affordable but it only covered the vehicle during the race and before/after during prep,test, transport specifically associated to the race. And, you had to give them a list of the races you were entered into for that year and premium was based on that.

I will throw my hat into the ring here, since I just spent an entire week on the phone with numerous insurance companies, the DMV, and the NC Department of Insurance. I have a full tube buggy, with no VIN and no title. My primary interest is obtaining liability coverage, but am also interested in theft and fire coverage as well. I had previously read up on the hardline thread posted above, so I thought I would give Foremost a call. They have what they call a "dune buggy" policy that they write for custom built off road vehicles with no VIN. This policy provides liability coverage and allows you to add other coverage (like theft, fire, damage, etc.) on a stated value basis. BUT, there are a handful of states that they do not offer this policy in, one of which is NC. So I began to call some of the other more traditional auto insurers, but none of them would write a policy on a vehicle that does not have a VIN.

I called the DMV and talked to the license and theft bureau about getting the buggy registered (and a VIN stamp) as a "specially constructed vehicle". I explained in detail to them that this is an off road only vehicle that will never be on the street under any circumstance. Unfortunately this process still requires the vehicle to pass a NC Vehicle Safety Inspection (completed by the License and Theft Bureau), which mine will not pass for many reasons that could likely be easily corrected, but the most significant being that it is full hydraulic steering. And there is no way I'm converting the buggy to mechanical steering linkage just to pass a state inspection.

Back to cold calling local insurance agents to see if someone would write me a policy. I finally found a group that would write me a policy. They gave me a quote for liability only, and told me that they could not offer anything more than liability on the buggy. The agency is Johnson Insurance Management, LLC, and the policy is written through National General. It looks like the quote is written for a motorcycle policy, but lists the vehicle description as "Other ATV - Sport" and lists the usage as "Off-Road". I haven't accepted the quote yet, as I haven't had time to read through all of the policy language. But it is a step in the right direction. I would still like to find someone to offer coverage for theft and fire. So if anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

As far as the umbrella policy goes, I asked every insurance agent I spoke to specifically about an umbrella policy. And if you get to the root cause of the need for liability coverage on an off road vehicle, the answer I got from every agent was: No, an umbrella policy would not cover you in an event where your vehicle causes damage or harm to another vehicle or person when in use. The intent of an umbrella policy is to extend the amount of coverage you already have on existing policies. But if you do not have a separate policy on the off road vehicle, then the umbrella policy cannot be triggered into effect. It's basically a policy that piggy-backs off of another policy. For example: If you have an auto liability policy that covers you up to $100k in property damage, but you damage $150k worth of property, your auto policy would cover the first $100k and the umbrella policy would be used to cover the additional $50k worth of damage. An umbrella policy might also cover damage to or loss of your vehicle if it is at your house and there is an event that would kick in your homeowners insurance, but you would probably have to add the buggy as a rider to your homeowners insurance policy.

Note that this information does not apply to vehicles WITH a VIN. You folks are in a little bit better shape. You can get a traditional auto policy through most carriers, but you will likely have to provide some information about modifications, and make sure you specify it is for off road use. Some standard policies have restrictions and exclusions about modifications and usage of vehicles that may disqualify you from coverage if you have to submit a claim.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
What about getting stated value coverage on a road legal vehicle with a VIN I case it catches on fire or a tree falls on it? I ha e several older trucks that the insurance Co. Says are only worth about a thousand each, but in real life are worth much more. I tried hagerty, they will do it, but they want to see the vehicle in a garage, and I don't keep all in a garage.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

my jeeps are under a RV policy with Allstate, and I get to name the value at whatever I want, sight unseen

my jeeps are under a RV policy with Allstate, and I get to name the value at whatever I want, sight unseen

The agent I spoke with was at Allstate and they seemed to be the most flexible. State Farm is a no go. They won't insure anything they can't look up in the NADA book. A buddy of mine is an agent at Nationwide and he has been working on finding something but is struggling. I mean, he can find a policy, but the annual premium is 25-30% of stated value. So that's a no-go.

Oh an every agent I talk to that I ask about a "stated value" policy pretty much laughs. So if y'all have someone that's willing to write a reasonably priced policy on stated value, I'm all ears. :)

I am an Allstate agent... SxS and such have "offroad vehicle policies" and we can add extra coverage for add ons. Pictures, receipts, etc... are very handy.

We can do liability on damn near anything, to do theft coverage etc... Gets a bit more complicated. I am currently looking into how I will cover my YJ the best for the lowest cost lol

You can call her if you want @rockcity she's at the Farm Bureau on Fire Tower Rd. 252-756-3007 and her name is Haley. She's about to change jobs and go to work for The Insurance Group in New Bern, so she'll know more about other companies and their policies as well.

Farm Bureau won't touch mini buggy as all of their "off road" vehicles are written through Foremost. I already talked to Foremost and the mini buggy would be considered a "dune buggy" for their purposes due to the customization. They don't offer that product in NC anymore...

I am an Allstate agent... SxS and such have "offroad vehicle policies" and we can add extra coverage for add ons. Pictures, receipts, etc... are very handy.

We can do liability on damn near anything, to do theft coverage etc... Gets a bit more complicated. I am currently looking into how I will cover my YJ the best for the lowest cost lol

Can you get me a quote on a buggy?

Can you get me a quote on a buggy?

I have 2 buggies, 2 trailers, a boat, a truck, a SUV, 2 houses, land, etc., etc. that I'm willing to throw in the mix for someone that can find me reasonable insurance for my buggies. :D

If you can find reasonable insurance for the buggies, you can have all of my insurance needs! :)

Seriously, if you can put together reasonable policies for buggies/off road vehicles, you could potentially have hundreds of people lined up for a policy. I'd also consider switching over all of my vehicles, trailers, toys, house, etc. if the buggy policy is on point.

Back