Off road vehicle insurance

Once I figure out the best method I will let you folks know.

Farm Bureau won't touch mini buggy as all of their "off road" vehicles are written through Foremost. I already talked to Foremost and the mini buggy would be considered a "dune buggy" for their purposes due to the customization. They don't offer that product in NC anymore...

Allstate will do "dune buggy" in NC but I believe the cut off is 20k... I am looking into it now.

Last edited:
Oh an every agent I talk to that I ask about a "stated value" policy pretty much laughs. So if y'all have someone that's willing to write a reasonably priced policy on stated value, I'm all ears. :)
You really want an agreed value policy. Stated value doesn't always pay the amount of the policy if there is total loss.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@rockcity Try The Insurance Center in New Bern. They're the kind of place that does the leg work for you and will see which of the companies they deal with, if any, can offer you what you need. Worth a shot anyway. 252-637-4173

The Jessup Group also offers a lot of different kinds of policies, one of which is valuable items insurance...sounds promising. Their number is 252-638-9000.

For me, I'm talking about agreed value policy as well. Everyone talks about them but I've yet to find an agent that offers it...
I used to have it one on my 4Runner w/ Liberty Mutual.
When I set up w/ them years ago I specifically mentioned it was modified and worth more than the $2k they had. I took some pics, made a list, and they had it set at I believe $4500 or something. They just raised he premiums a little to match the difference.
I cut it back though once I realized it was sitting not being driven and not likely to be for awhile. Once it's moving again (hopefully soon! Yeah, that sounds familiar) I'll revisit it.

Note - Liberty is not cheap. Insurance up here is shockingly more than in NC, and literally every year for the last 5, my rates have gone up w/o us having any change in our driving history or vehicles. I was just quoted a better deal through Eire, who has our homeowners and gives a discount for a package deal.
BTW when I inquired about umbrella policies w/ them I got the same story as above - only really as an expansion of another policy, not to be used in a "solo" condition.h

I used to have it one on my 4Runner w/ Liberty Mutual.
When I set up w/ them years ago I specifically mentioned it was modified and worth more than the $2k they had. I took some pics, made a list, and they had it set at I believe $4500 or something. They just raised he premiums a little to match the difference.
I cut it back though once I realized it was sitting not being driven and not likely to be for awhile. Once it's moving again (hopefully soon! Yeah, that sounds familiar) I'll revisit it.

Note - Liberty is not cheap. Insurance up here is shockingly more than in NC, and literally every year for the last 5, my rates have gone up w/o us having any change in our driving history or vehicles. I was just quoted a better deal through Eire, who has our homeowners and gives a discount for a package deal.
BTW when I inquired about umbrella policies w/ them I got the same story as above - only really as an expansion of another policy, not to be used in a "solo" condition.h

NC has the 3rd lowest auto insurance rates in the country.
There is going to be a state mandated 3% increase in NC on 10/01/17 though from what I'm told. The new commissioner for Insurance NC has been all for increases to increase state revenue.

Just to throw in on this, I've been with Erie Ins. for 17 years. My CJ is street legal & tagged. Liability, of course, but I added comprehensive, which covers glass, fire & theft. I've used the comp 1 time when I broke the windshield & twisted the windshield frame. Now they don't cover Racing,but I told them I was just riding in the woods, with the Club, which I was. And that a Big limb fell out of a tree hitting my windshield. I even told them if they would reimburse me the parts, I would do the labor. They had no problem with that! They paid for a new frame, 2 frame gaskets, & glass. No questions asked & never had to show the vehicle. Just the receipts. As per fire or theft, I'm sure they would go with book value of a 79. I was told I wouldn't want to cover the modifications > too expensive.

There is going to be a state mandated 3% increase in NC on 10/01/17 though from what I'm told. The new commissioner for Insurance NC has been all for increases to increase state revenue.
Mine went up this year, but it was a State allowance, not Erie's. And I do combine Home & Auto, + every Discount possible!

We were floored at the difference when we moved. Our rates went up close to 50%.
When I inquired (bitched) about the constant increases, all I got was, "It's just your area. Nothing to do with you. If you look at your zip code and the surrounding area, it just happens to be a higher claim/loss area."
In other words "You live around a bunch of bad driving assholes so you all get to pay more." Damn actuaries.

When there's probability and money involved, you're always gunna have to pay out the ass! You wouldn't think so, but one of the most expensive (non-sports car) cars to insure is a Nissan Altima. Apparently the demographic that drives them are far more likely to be involved in wrecks...I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions from that.

Once I figure out the best method I will let you folks know.

Allstate will do "dune buggy" in NC but I believe the cut off is 20k... I am looking into it now.

I just talked to a local Allstate agent and I was told that you still have to have a vin/serial number for a dune buggy policy.

I am an Allstate agent... SxS and such have "offroad vehicle policies" and we can add extra coverage for add ons. Pictures, receipts, etc... are very handy.

We can do liability on damn near anything, to do theft coverage etc... Gets a bit more complicated. I am currently looking into how I will cover my YJ the best for the lowest cost lol

So does Allstate offer a stated/agreed value coverage policy on titled, street driven vehicles?

I just talked to a local Allstate agent and I was told that you still have to have a vin/serial number for a dune buggy policy.

Ok so I just finally got a response from NCDMV and they said they won't issue a VIN on a vehicle unless it meets on-highway safety standards. So this confirms previous mentions of such.

My next question is... If insurance wants a VIN on a vehicle to identify it but the state won't issue one, then how do you get one? Does the VIN have to be state issued or can it just be a unique serial number installed by the owner/builder and recorded on a bill of sale?

can't you get a custom built ID number issued from the state?

Not on a buggy that was built for off road use only. The DMV said, in writing, that they only issue custom VINs for vehicles that could pass safety inspection and could be deemed road worthy.

Most buggies are not quite to that standard and definetly my mini buggy is not up to that.

IMG_0072.PNG

The VIN does not exist until the original title (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin) is equitably surrendered to the state, who then issues you legal right and a Certificate of Title.

Ive always been curious. What would happen if you sent in your own MFG cert, along with the appropriate forms.

Anyone can start a rzr mfg business, and issue a mfg cert.... all you really need to know is the right paperwork to file so your buggy can be registered as a rzr.

Happy to do some R&D with anyone willing

Not on a buggy that was built for off road use only. The DMV said, in writing, that they only issue custom VINs for vehicles that could pass safety inspection and could be deemed road worthy.

You and I both know a custom buggy builder that has been doing it. Not sure if he has indicators on the rigs or not, but has brake lights, no windshield, and sticky tires. And a license plate.

You and I both know a custom buggy builder that has been doing it. Not sure if he has indicators on the rigs or not, but has brake lights, no windshield, and sticky tires. And a license plate.

Right. But show me how to do it for mini buggy...

A full size buggy, well, get a few safety items installed and apply for a VIN as a custom built vehicle with bill of sale, and MVR-55 and your good. But, for mini buggy, I'm still SOL it seems

That's the part that sucks to me.

Rzrs have vin# to ID them and are built for ohv.

Really wish there was a work around.

Keep me posted as we really want coverage on my dads buggy.

For a full size buggy, it doesn't seem that difficult. A few safety items and a MVR-55 along with a bill of sale and you should be good.

I have turn signals, lights, brake lights, horn, etc on my buggy so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. But I'm still at a loss for mini buggy. About the only thing I'm thinking on mini is to either find a samurai VIN or a UTV vin and go off of that?

Maybe another state that allows out of state titling and registration would let you apply for a VIN and title? I don't think the insurance company really cares what state the title was issued in so long as it has a VIN and a unique serial # for identification purposes

SC. Maybe SC? They will title damn near anything.... Paging @Ron

Most buggies are not quite to that standard and definetly my mini buggy is not up to that.
You keep running into this wall because you're talking to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Their preview is only on vehicles used on state facilities, e.g. roads. Of course they only issue VINs for vehicles to be used on roads - because that's the only place they have prevue over!

If you just want insurance for the vehicle, why not just make up your own VIN and give THAT to the insurance company? The reason insurance needs a VIN is to be a unique identifier. As mentioned, you can get insurance on RZRs. You can also get insurance on all kinds of farm equipment or construction equipment. IMO the problem is that you're trying to get insurance like it's a car. Give up on that and go another route.
Why not get ATV or UTV insurance?

Back