official WVO thread

RufusTheRam

lets get some discussion going on WVO conversions. where to get the best kits, where to piece together your own, best processes for filtering/dewatering, good links for info, etc. etc... here's one place i've enjoyed looking around in particular http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums there's some good info on there about building your own conversions for cheap.

*disclaimer*- any WVO converted vehicles should be operated only on private property or the owner should file to pay a fuel tax.

I went and copied some of the better info from the other various threads and went ahead and made this one a STICKY.

http://www.burlingtonbiodiesel.org/default.htm

From Mr Larry Smith:

diesel secret
Here is the scoop: INSTRUCTIONS- Purchase a garbage can, 2 pumps, and 2 household water filters.
INGREDIENTS:
20 gal wvo
2 gal kerosene
1 gal unleaded gas
15 oz of Diesel-Kleen
3.5 oz of DSE Potion

Mix slow for five minutes and pour in your tank.

People have been doing this for years, less the
DSE Potion.

Did some one say "SNAKE OIL".

thanks sam! i've never heard of that mix... seems it wouldn't work too well with that much WVO in lower temps??

www.frybrid.com
www.frybrid.com/forum
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums <--The master one.. huge population
www.biofuels.coop
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=154 The TDR's alternative fuels page

anyway, that blend does indeed not do well int he cold. one person put their mix in the fridge, and it was far too cold to pump.

I'm a staunch advocate of the 2 tank system, and purging the WVO before you shutdown..

Also, filtering is very important, but de-watering is even more important. The water is what kills the injection pumps.. lack of filtering just plugs up your filters faster.. :D

Although, what Greg and I talked about..even if you have to replace an injection pump every 2 years, you're still coming out ahead... FAR ahead.

Now if I could find that link about ~1200 gallons a year or under being classified as "personal use" and not subject to a bunch of tax stuff...

I've been spending TONS of time doing research on all the options, on the order of 50+ hours already... I'm stoopid like that.

my greasel kit (nomad) was shipped to me on monday, so I too will be running wvo next weekend.

agree

I was just going al0ong with your "I'm stupid like that coment".

Greasel Kit

Greg, my son Grant and I installed a Nomad kit 2 weeks ago. When you get stuck you can give me a call. Instructions aren't that good. You can figure it out but some of it is not immediately obvious. Put kit into a '98 12v Dodge. Working great. What tank size did you get. We got the 100 gallon.

I am looking to buy sock filters and Racor filters so if you interested Greg maybe we can do a group buy. Greg Stone would probably be interested as well. He is running the same kit.

Motorman said:
Greg, my son Grant and I installed a Nomad kit 2 weeks ago. When you get stuck you can give me a call. Instructions aren't that good. You can figure it out but some of it is not immediately obvious. Put kit into a '98 12v Dodge. Working great. What tank size did you get. We got the 100 gallon.

I am looking to buy sock filters and Racor filters so if you interested Greg maybe we can do a group buy. Greg Stone would probably be interested as well. He is running the same kit.

Keith,
I would like to check out your set up some time.
Carl

LARRY SMITH said:
I was just going al0ong with your "I'm stupid like that coment".

Gotcha... have you converted yours yet?

Larry said:
diesel secret
Here is the scoop: INSTRUCTIONS- Purchase a garbage can, 2 pumps, and 2 household water filters.
INGREDIENTS:
20 gal wvo
2 gal kerosene
1 gal unleaded gas
15 oz of Diesel-Kleen
3.5 oz of DSE Potion

Mix slow for five minutes and pour in your tank.

People have been doing this for years, less the
DSE Potion.

So, uh... then what's the pumps and filters for?... they're not mentioned. And WTH is "DSE potion"?:D

Also, if'n a guy was gonna "collect" some WVO, what's the recommendation on pumps? "My friend" would rather NOT have screw with priming and would "pre-filtering" with a screen of some type on the pickup end (to keep all the "cracklins" out) work? Or would it clog too easily and not be worth it?

Caver Dave said:
So, uh... then what's the pumps and filters for?... they're not mentioned. And WTH is "DSE potion"?:D

Also, if'n a guy was gonna "collect" some WVO, what's the recommendation on pumps? "My friend" would rather NOT have screw with priming and would "pre-filtering" with a screen of some type on the pickup end (to keep all the "cracklins" out) work? Or would it clog too easily and not be worth it?
I use a 13GPM pump(requires no priming) that you can get at Northern or Tractor Supply..my collection hose has a screen on the end of it to keep big chunks out, also it'll clog when you hit the "lard layer" in the WVO barrel. You can just bang it on the side of the tank and the stuff falls off the screen, pretty easy really.

I appreciate the offer, motorman. fedex called and said my tanks will be delivered friday at work. I went with the 80 gal nomad setup.

\the only thing I havnt figured out prior to my install is how to convert the system from a dead head fuel system to a return system. I am sure i will figure it out once all the parts get here and i start on the conversion, but any advice is welcome.

Fedex

Fedex called when my tank came in and told me it weighed 300 lbs(per the invoice from Greasel) and i would need at least several people to help unload it when they came to the house. If you get the same call don't believe it. You and another reasonable size person (maybe the driver) can easily unload the tank.

I am still waiting after 3-4 weeks for the heater element for around the filter. Not something I need for warm weather use but goes to show that Greasel is struggling to keep up with orders.

Be sure to print out all files/pix they send you. Especially the tank plumbing layout. It is tough to describe but a picture is worth a thousand words.

got my tanks in today, it will be next week before i recieve the "support boxes" as they call them.

man are those tanks nasty inside.

I installed my kit from GREASEL.COM. Came with everything needed right down to the last hose clamp. Easy install...I've already saved in gas almost 25% of my investment....it's the only way to go. I'm in Boone if anyone would like to check it out
Will

Another Question??

Can the New '06 F-250 handle a grease conversion???

and if so what do you think it would do to a warranty??

I was warned by Charlie, the owner of Greasel, that the injection system of the 6.0 could not handle it at this time.

Back