official WVO thread

greg slade said:
I was warned by Charlie, the owner of Greasel, that the injection system of the 6.0 could not handle it at this time.

hmm wonder if he has actually tried it or not???

There is a system being offered by PlantDrive already for the 6.0, Frybrid is still working on his.

Has the availiblity of used grease been a problem? Is it easy to get? How about the straining/filtering process? Sorry about all the questions, but these systems seem to good to be true. System could pay for it self with one trip to Moab.
Will, I definately want to check out your truck when I come pick up the motor/tranny next week.

Steve

There is one big problem with the nomad system... dewatering. Most of the WVO guys have some quite elaborate (in my eyes) systems for settling & dewatering of the WVO before they introduce it to the same tanks and filters used in the nomad system.. Vacuum systems, hot water tanks, gravity, heated tanks, etc... all designed to filter, and more importantly, de-water the oil before it gets to the injection pump.

That said, even if it kills your IP once a year, are you still ahead by running free "fuel"? In my case, yes, (~25,000-30,000 miles/year), but I don't want the downtime. Those with newer trucks with more sophisticated and expensive systems might not be ahead.

I'm not trying to poo-poo on anyone who has bought the greasel systems, more to relay some of the info I've found through my research. There's a good read here: http://www.frybrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18 about this... Yes, it's on the Frybrid forum, but I've noticed that more than a few of the people on that forum started off with a different kit, and have since swapped parts or the entire system over. Also, I've seen posts from the Greasel owner, the plantdrive owner, etc.. They are not censored, so it seems to be a somewhat impartial group there... What I've seen in the infopop board is also in-line, though they are more DIY than kit people there.

Again, I'm NOT trying to talk down on anyone's parts or kits.. Just observations.

Rich said:
Again, I'm NOT trying to talk down on anyone's parts or kits.. Just observations.

Observations are good helps other make good decisions

I finished installing 2 nomad systems last weekend and I had a chance to test mine out on a trip to URE this weekend.

200 miles towing on grease with absolutely no problems or clogging filters. It is SO worth the trouble the minute you are running free.
MY trip to URE cost me about 20 bucks total. $7 in diesel, $5 for the trail fees, and $8 for gas in the yj, if that. I think I could have used less dino too.

bag lunch, free gease, and no carnage.

and one thing to add, my truck runs better on WVO than on dino.
I experienced about a 200-300 drop on egt, so i could keep my foot in it longer! The truck definately ran quieter and all signs of injecter cackle were now gone. It got the same mpg on either fuel.

Long term update.......88k miles on my buddies 97 CTD running straight grease it wiped the injection pump out. we are using a 300gl. settling tank now and drawing off the tp and draining the crap off the bottom. $1200 to rebuild the injection pump, scored plungers under delievery valves due to water. The truck has close to 300k on the motor.

braxton357 said:
Hey keith, post up some pics of your setup por favor. I know you have to have some, picture king. :flipoff2:
I had some posted the WVO Nazis deleted them...but I was WVO outlaw back then when it wasn't cool. :flipoff2:

BIGWOODY said:
I had some posted the WVO Nazis deleted them...but I was WVO outlaw back then when it wasn't cool. :flipoff2:

Go ahead and post them... I want to see them also :)

I just ordered a kit from greasel and waiting for it to come in now, I have already got a filtering station setup in my building, but I was wondering what the best and most successful way of removing the water from the oil is before putting it in the tank, I saw where someone took a water seperator from a large aircompressor and used it, has anyone heard of this?

the racor filter on the Greasel system has a water separater on it. its just a drain at the bottom of the filter bowl. In theory its supposed to spin the water out of the filter assembly to be drained later. I find that my system evaporates the water and it runs out the vents on the tank.

6000 miles on grease on my truck and 12000 miles on my brother's truck.

If you really get deep in depth doing research on separating water (it can be really overwhelming!), the water you're worried about isn't the big stuff that a standard water seperator would catch..

It's the reallly small oens that are "Micro-emulsified"( I think that's the term, it's been a bit ).. when your injection pump pressurizes the fuel, these tiny bits of water quickly boil and "explode", slightly pitting the inside of the IP's barrel. Over time, this WILL kill the IP.

BUT, you have to look at it like this.. how much is your time worth to de-water the oil before getting it into your truck, or will you save enough money with the WVO to pay for a new pump when it fails? You probably will, but I've seen firsthand that the Greasel system does not de-water effectively when shown the pictures of an injection pump from a car that had ran the Greasel. The owner is now de-watering at home, before filling the tank.

Ok, looking at a diesel and now looking at greasel.

aside from the larger tank size and the seperated tanks, is there a big difference between the voyager and the nomad? I was thinking the 50gal voyager would be fine. Is the nomad really worth the extra money?

Back