official WVO thread

In the process of putting another injection pump on a Benz using the greasel system, the failure is due to water. I'd skip the nomad tank Mike spend the extra cash on getting a large storage tank and allow the water to settle to the bottom by using a heating element in the tank to speed the process a bit. The water seperator on the greasel system works somewhat, but not nearly as well as it needs to.

ok, yea i was reading some of those threads on frybird.com or whatever about the flaws of the greasel systems, and also here about the water. do the frybird systems filter out the water any better or is really the only good way to do it the way you are talking about. I didnt look through the frybird threads long because of exams but i didnt really find much info on the water subject.

BIGWOODY said:
In the process of putting another injection pump on a Benz using the greasel system, the failure is due to water. I'd skip the nomad tank Mike spend the extra cash on getting a large storage tank and allow the water to settle to the bottom by using a heating element in the tank to speed the process a bit. The water seperator on the greasel system works somewhat, but not nearly as well as it needs to.

I plan to use a storage tank and not pump/ filter directly in my tank. I will be building my system from scratch so I will post the progress as soon as it starts, which should be this month.

newbee question

sorry if this has been talked to death, but I couldn't find an answer using the search. would a plastic, specifically a HDPE tank be suitable for a restaurant to place their used (sometimes hot) oil in? I have found a start up restaurant that will let me have their oil but I have to have something for them to put it in. I have a HDPE tank, but if that won't work any suggestions as to where to get one of those "dumpsters"

thanks
Jim Nelson
Badin,NC
'95 chevy 2500 6.5 td
'83 waggy
'72 mando

I got my truck running on grease yesterday I will post up the everthing I did when I get a chance this week. it runs great :)

I have had mine running for about 3 months now and it too runs great, I built my filtering system from scratch too like you had mentioned in a previous posting. For anyone who is interested here is how I did it. This may sound cheap but it works great. I bought 2 35 gal brute trash cans, 1 is for dirty oil and the other for filtered. I pour the dirty oil in and when the can is full I heat it with a bucket heater for 1 hour and let it set 3 days. then I use a water pump and pump it through a 5 micron water filter and a goldenrod water block filter to a .5 micron filter bag. I built a stand to go over the 2nd can that holds the .5micron filter bag. I let it sit another day or so, then I pump it from the 2nd can through a 1micron water filter to the truck. This might be overkill, but it works great. I put a Y fitting after the pump so I can change the direction of flow from the 5micron filter to the 1 micron filter so I can use the same pump. The key to success is clean oil

I'm really confused by all the reading ive done on this stuff... So if i understand it there are 2 processes...

1) Simply filter out crud and water and run it..
2) Filter out crud, add chemicals to remove impurities, filter, add water to wash oil, seperate water, filter out remaining water then run...

BTW: bucket heater is farm store item that looks like a heating element, that clips onto water bucket to keep it from freezing in winter time

I'm really confused by all the reading ive done on this stuff... So if i understand it there are 2 processes...
1) Simply filter out crud and water and run it..
2) Filter out crud, add chemicals to remove impurities, filter, add water to wash oil, seperate water, filter out remaining water then run...

answers:

1: just filter, etc.. is call WVO (waste veg oil) or SVO (straight veg oil)
you also filter this on your vehicle while driving and have a separate fuel tank to run this

2: when you add chemicals is BIO DIESEL
you must make,mix, etc at house and then you just pour that directly into exsiting fuel tank

Hope that makes a little more sense

Tractor supply company has bucket heaters too... You can also use a hot water heater element to heat your drums.

BTW, I am new to the board and plan on installing a frybrid system in my '98 Diesel Suburban. The only thing I plan on doing different is using my stock 42 gal tank for VO and the Frybrid 26 gal tank for diesel.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a replacement tank for my suburban? I would like something other than steel for a replacement tank, plus I need will need some work done on it to install the Frybrid in tank heater.

Thanks!

So, what do the folks at GFS have to say about de-watering? Do they contend the Racor is sufficient? Add-ons to reduce the water molecules?

Is this "death blow" an issue to ALL IPs or just a few auto systems that were potentially subpar/suspect to begin with?

the racor filter on the Greasel system has a water separater on it. its just a drain at the bottom of the filter bowl. In theory its supposed to spin the water out of the filter assembly to be drained later. I find that my system evaporates the water and it runs out the vents on the tank.
6000 miles on grease on my truck and 12000 miles on my brother's truck.
If you really get deep in depth doing research on separating water (it can be really overwhelming!), the water you're worried about isn't the big stuff that a standard water seperator would catch..
It's the reallly small oens that are "Micro-emulsified"( I think that's the term, it's been a bit ).. when your injection pump pressurizes the fuel, these tiny bits of water quickly boil and "explode", slightly pitting the inside of the IP's barrel. Over time, this WILL kill the IP.
BUT, you have to look at it like this.. how much is your time worth to de-water the oil before getting it into your truck, or will you save enough money with the WVO to pay for a new pump when it fails? You probably will, but I've seen firsthand that the Greasel system does not de-water effectively when shown the pictures of an injection pump from a car that had ran the Greasel. The owner is now de-watering at home, before filling the tank.

I will pump out the water (if any) before I transfer into my run tank. the color of the grease is much lighter if it contains any water. i pump it into an extra cubie i keep in the back of the truck. also remember that the stuff is pumped from the bottom and the water seems to settle to the bottom.

Real world experience with my modified Greasel system is good. I have had great success with using it as long as you understand that ANY WVO system will have inherant problems with crap grease. Your time is better spent finding a a good clean source of grease. substandard stuff will wreak havoc on any system. I am somewhere around 20k on grease now. The only problems have is with filters plugging with crap grease and I dont get greedy any more when I gather. Problem Solved! It seems that the hotter you can get it the better it will evap the water out of it. Because I may keep 40 gallons heated in the storage tank for a long time I get a good clean dewatered grease before it is pumped in to the run side. just my experience.

I have a stupid question...

How are you guys collecting the grease?
Not necessarily finding it, I have a few sources reserved.
But how do you get it out of the green boxes into your tank?
Any issues with it being cold and gelling up in the containers?
if so how do you heat before pumping into your tank?

I have a stupid question...

How are you guys collecting the grease?
Not necessarily finding it, I have a few sources reserved.
But how do you get it out of the green boxes into your tank?
Any issues with it being cold and gelling up in the containers?
if so how do you heat before pumping into your tank?

i have a portable 12v pump and I just burnt it up 2 weeks ago when it was 22 out side pumpin it cold is next to imposible. I try to wait unit about 45 degrees.

I will pump out the water (if any) before I transfer into my run tank. the color of the grease is much lighter if it contains any water. i pump it into an extra cubie i keep in the back of the truck. also remember that the stuff is pumped from the bottom and the water seems to settle to the bottom.

Real world experience with my modified Greasel system is good. I have had great success with using it as long as you understand that ANY WVO system will have inherant problems with crap grease. Your time is better spent finding a a good clean source of grease. substandard stuff will wreak havoc on any system. I am somewhere around 20k on grease now. The only problems have is with filters plugging with crap grease and I dont get greedy any more when I gather. Problem Solved! It seems that the hotter you can get it the better it will evap the water out of it. Because I may keep 40 gallons heated in the storage tank for a long time I get a good clean dewatered grease before it is pumped in to the run side. just my experience.

I am using a 5500watt hot water heater in the bottom of a 55 gal drum and in about 45- 60min i can get it too hot to touch. them it filters like water.

I bought a hand pump for 20 bucks at northern and I fill one of those 5gal containers up in about 1-2min. with it, as far as the earlier post on water in the oil, I built a burner that burns on veg oil and throws out a flame about 2.25 in diameter and 12in long, I blow it under a beer keg with a hole cut in it and boil any water out.

My Ram was converted to WVO just this week.
Anyone here in the Raleigh/Durham general area? I have questions and want to check out your filtering setup.

How do you approch a business to get their wvo. I think I can handle everything else, but this area is still shady to me

I just went in and talked to the store/restaraunt manager/owner. Of course I was going to make bio and not run the straight WVO. If they had a contract with someone else then they would say thank you but no. Others said they would gladly let me have it so they would not have to pay to have it removed.

Back