Offroad race in near lowes motor speedway

MarsFab

Will work for money
On hudspeth road off hwy 29 just beside LMS there's a guy that has 80 acres and has built a mile and a half track with a mud pit. He had his first race last weekend. There were about 30 spectators and 5 racers including the owner of the place. He Is going to try to do a race once a month and open his trails to the public for a small fee every weekend. I think he is doing a great thing and he needs our support to keep this going Im waiting to hear the date for the next race and as soon as I do I will post them. He charges 30 dollars to race and there's 150 dollar payout for the winner, Spectators are free. If any of you were there and know more about this event post it so we can spread the word. As we all know legal places to wheel are few and far between so this could benifit us and the man gracious enough to host it.

Interesting, thats only about a 45 min drive for me.

Thats right around the corner from my house. I heard about, actually got a flyer at my work, but could not make it. Please keep us posted as to when the next event is.

Yeah same here, Thats right down the road from me. Really interested and will defeniately be there next race. Is it atv/motocross racing or actual jeeps/buggies? Im gonna go drive down hudspeth tomorrow and try to see where this place is.

That's right in my neck of the woods, too. Definitely sounds cool. I'll have to check that out next race.

Ok Ok sorry Fellas!!! I've been trying to get all the info for everyone. The next race will be on 2-14-09. The Guy who is holding the race is Andy Stewart. It is a truck race. In the last race there was Andy's early 90's Bronco with I believe a 6in lift and 35's and I think he said over 500 hp.

Next was a K5 w/4" and 33's stock motor. K20 Stock w/33's. Then another late model bronco lifted 35's, and last was an 80's s-10 blazer on a k5 chassis built motor and 38's. You race the clock. He starts you in 5 min intervals you run the track with a 4 wheeler following you to make sure you stay on course and get no penalties.

It is a fairly fast track I have not seen the entire thing but its roughly a mile and a half and they were running it in under 5 minutes. There is a large mud pit at the begining of the track that you can skip if you race but it cost a few seconds. He penalizes for a few different things like running off course and skipping obstacles different things cost different amounts of time.

There is a drivers meeting when everyone arrives where he explains everything. Then everyone gets a few practice lap and the race starts.

There are no distinguished classes yet but depending on how many show up there will probably be some set up. I have a full four linked rock crawler built to go slow and flex so I can't hang with the guys with 500 hp and store bought street safe suspension.

The track is on Hudspeth road If you are coming in on hwy. 29 from Charlotte you will turn right about 500yds. before you get to the light at morehead rd. on Hudspeth Go I would say less than a quarter mile till you see a big white sign with a piece of paper that says 4x4 race. It will be on your right at the top of a long gravel driveway that goes off into the woods.

Take that to the end and you'll see everyone. Andy says he'll be out there before 8am to tell people where to go. He will close the gate to the place at 9am so people dont get in the way on the track cause it's part of the road in. He stresses the gates WILL CLOSE AT 9am SO BE THERE EARLY. He has decided to charge 5 dollars a person for spectators and 30 dollars to enter to race..

Im planning on paying to run but I will not be running at full speed like the other guys who are racing so you rock crawler guys need to show up and run slow with me. There will be hot dogs hamburgers chips drinks and bathrooms. The food is cheap but its all cash only. Andy is open to offroad clubs wanting to come wheel. Right now he doesnt have anything to crawl or climb other than whats on the track.

We are gonna meet in the next couple weeks to try and come up with some tough trails and obstacles. I hope this has answered most of your questions if not let me know. If I cant Andy can at (704)773-2728. He is a really nice guy that is just wanting to give people a good place to wheel.

He wants any input he can get on how he can make the place better. If he doesn't have at least 10 people enter to race he probably will not be able to do it again so If your free the 14th come out and check it out. Dont be shy to race these guys are just out here to have fun and get together and do some wheeling. No alchohol! and all persons participating in the actual race must have a helmet and seat belt. If you need better directions let me know.

Sounds awesome! Ill be there maybe racing depeniding on my rigs condition. Thanks for letting us know!

It will be great having a local place to wheel. Is he letting people come over for the weekend yet? I've been itching to get back on the trail since Uwharrie closed.

We all need to talk to him about getting some trails going for the weekends. When he has the meeting that morning we need to stress how he needs to have more trails than just the track. Because in my oppinion that's what the majority of people want to see. From what I can tell there are some pretty good gullies and hills that would make great obstacles so we'll see what happens I guess.

I'm free most weekends but as it's been said the 14th is not the best weekend for me. I was trying to make it to the one last weekend but didn't get the info in time. I plan on calling him sometime this week to ask about the possibility of a weekend trip or setting up a work day to help out with trails.

We have talked about that and he would love to have people come help with the trails. I'm hoping to get out there next weekend and ride with him and scout some trails. If you do want to get together with some people and have a ride you can call him and let him know. But like I said as of now there's not alot to do there yet so be prepared to get with Andy and see what you can make.

I agree he does need to join here because Im not a big fan of being a middle man. So far he has just made flyers and put them out locally. I dont think he actually has any idea what kind of networking you can have with the net. I'll try to talk to him and see if he can join but I'm not sure what kind of access he has. Unfortunately all I can tell you guys is what I hear from him. Like I said if there are any questions you have for him about his land use and constructing trails just give him a call. (704)773-2728 Andy Stewart.

I actually just met Andy for the first time at his first race two weeks ago. He's a pretty nice guy and has a great place over there. Theres lots of potential on that land I hope he uses it well.
As far as the race goes yea it is a trail race. It pretty much is a trail around the perimeter of his property That has a few jumpable hills, fast sraights and off camber stretches. Part of it is on a power line right of way. No rocks and nothing hard to pass except for the mud hole at the beginning which you can skip if you'd like. I would say some guys were running around 40 to 50 in some parts. If he has enough people enter this race he will rework the track for the next race to keep it from getting boring.

Back