OK to use chains?

Nissan11

Is it OK to try to pull someone out of the muck with a chain or would that be considered dangerous? I know it would not be smart to yank on one but I was wondering about just pulling pulling not yanking. Ive got a strap but chains are so durable and I can wrap one around the frame if someone doesnt have hooks and it wont get cut up like a strap. The chain I would be using would be a basic logging chain. If this is not strong enough are there any chains that would hold up?

If you are going to use a chain make sure that you wrap it around the leaf springs, or the axle (ensuring that the brake lines are in the way).:shaking:

Seriously, DO NOT USE A CHAIN unless it is a complete last resort. BOTTOM LINE!! Very dangerous practice. If you have a strap use it.

x2 Chains are a definate last resort. Consider this your trail buddy's rig is stuck deep in rather thick mud forcing you to use the "running tug" in order to remove his vehicle. Remember that the run is also a last resort. However it has come down to the only option and you are forced to use it. Now you have hooked up to his frame and possibly your tow hook with a chain. You rev your engine and take off with a high rate of speed, the chain snaps tight then all of the sudden your connection point on the stuck vehicle fails. Possibly by it not being hooked correctly. Now depending on the speed at which it snaped you now have a missle with a hook attached to one end flying towards you. The same thing can happen with a strap however is less likely with a properly rated strap. I am no expert on this by far but I have seen chains fail numerous times which is why I use straps. On a side note anyone that does not have a tow hook or some shackles on his/her rig is just asking to be stuck. I've got two in the front and fixing to have two placed in the rear. I also recommend checking out this website. http://www.4x4now.com/4wht.htm It has some excellent writeups about 4-Wheeling.

IF.... the chain breaks, (We easily broke a 5/16" chain a couple of times) It could....
1. put a dent in the back of your rig.
2. Break your back glass (back glass for a TJ hardtop is around $350)
3. Go through the back glass and injure/kill someone in your vehicle.
4. A projectile go flying anywhere and hit someone else standing nearby.

I've ignorantly used a chain before, but I'd rather not unless there is no alternative. AND BE CAREFULL....

Use a strap with a blanket or jacket or something to dampen it.

And wrapping it around the leaf springs or the spring shackle is also asking for damage at the least, and injury/death at the worst. The spring and its attachments are designed to handle 1/4 of the vehicle's total weight in a particular manner. It's not designed to be used as a tow hook or to take stress in any direction except the direction the suspension components move in their normal operation. Get tow hooks installed.

Ive got hooks on my rig. But I know alot of people dont. I know weve all been in situations where us or a buddy was stuck and one strap would not reach. I guess I need to invest in a couple more straps in case I need to link them together.

What about heavy rope? I'm talking around 1" thick sisal. I have one about 30' long, it had hooks on each end but I cut them off and tied loops there instead. I know that probably wouldn't stand up to a running tug, but for a regular pull? And if you double it, with another loop tied at the center, I'd have one 15' long at twice the strength.

everyone who says chains have no place in 4 wheeling is full of shit. they work much better than a strap if you have to use a hi lift as a winch. a good strong chain (the highest grade and size you can handle) will work fine for a static load, just dont try to snatch with it

I'm with Metto. I use chain to attach the winch cable to vehicles with no proper towing devices, and to use with the Hi-Lift, but I use properly sized and rated chain (3/8 inch grade 80), not undersized hardware store cheap shit or logging chains (you know, the ones with the swivel in the middle that's barely rated for pulling greasy strings out of cats' asses). What happens to your vehicle with my chain because you didn't bother to install proper towing devices is your problem. :D

Last resort or to "make" a pull attachment. Other than those, nope.

No argument from here. Chain has its place, but it's not a universal towing device. I've used my tree saver much more often to put around the axle than a chain because it only tends to bend brake lines and cables rather than crush, pinch, or break 'em.

radioman said:
you know, the ones with the swivel in the middle that's barely rated for pulling greasy strings out of cats' asses

Damn, I nearly blew Pizza all over my screen! That's funny!!!!

Hell no on the chain for strappin someone out.

And for those that say there's no other alternative, you're wrong!!! there's always an alternative.. you can leave it stuck until you get better equiped. Damage, Injury or Death Dictate that your dumb ass can sit stuck until help arrives. If you Go wheelin, go prepared!!!

my girlfriend and I use chains when the going gets rough.......sometimes they scratch her a little........... I say go for it, but i'm never gonna wheel with you

I used to use a chain. When I was younger and did not know what I know now. I was young and invencible. Now I am older, smarter, and still invensible ....:lol:..... but I do not use chains anymore except in extreme emergencies. Use a tow strap perferably the ones without the metal hooks on the ends.

mbalbritton said:
you can leave it stuck until you get better equiped.

+1 I've got a mini-ex and an extenda-hoe here at the shop....worst case, put those on the company truck/trailer and I go UN-dig myself :D

Chain through the back glass, what was you running a 100mph an slam on brakes, this is all bullshit, a chain does not store energy, Ive seen a 100,000lbs on a chain upper pen. of Michigan in the deep woods, strap my ass, What dumb ass pulls with a running start, that is about stupid anyway. A strap is designed to preload as you start off, not for snatching, Jesus.....

my opinion ( I haul equipment for a living so what do I know? not much)

chains are not a recovery tool. buy the appropriate straps and/or rigging tools to extracate (sp?) your friends or yourself. better yet- invest in some quality winches.

or stay out of the f'n mud because it's the devil :flipoff2:

edit: and yes there are "snatch straps"

Trebissky said:
What about heavy rope? I'm talking around 1" thick sisal. I have one about 30' long, it had hooks on each end but I cut them off and tied loops there instead. I know that probably wouldn't stand up to a running tug, but for a regular pull? And if you double it, with another loop tied at the center, I'd have one 15' long at twice the strength.

think about that a little more. if you tie a loop in the middle of the rope and use that as an end and use the other two ends back to the other vehicle you WILL NOT have twice as strong of a rope. it will break at the same load, it would just insure that it breaks an the loop you tied in the middle. only as strong as the weakest link.

Chains not for recovery , I guess they will take all the Records off the road, Just about every record you see will have chains for recovery fastening points for pulling vehicles out of ditches, Let me see, ships use chains to recover 10ton anchors, Chain falls pull everything from engines to plated steel in refining, I pulled flatbeds an drop decks for a living how many Bulldozers an tractors you see dogged down with chains, If you want a heavy load to shift, put straps on it. Like I said this thing about chains is bullshit or you folks don't no there are different grades of chains.

maverick said:
Chain through the back glass, what was you running a 100mph an slam on brakes, this is all bullshit, a chain does not store energy, Ive seen a 100,000lbs on a chain upper pen. of Michigan in the deep woods, strap my ass, What dumb ass pulls with a running start, that is about stupid anyway. A strap is designed to preload as you start off, not for snatching, Jesus.....

Uhhh dude...
I have a friend who would be gald to show you the 3/8" dimple in the steel dash of his 70 Chevy that was left by a grenaded chain after it came through the windshield.

This was in a young dumb "hook'em up" experince and the chain was "loaded" before either took off.

I have personally seen the effects of chains othr times and that is why I will NEVER use them for un sticking.

Dragging a carcass back to camp that is boke, sure but not for the unsticking...

Oh BTW a chain does not store energy? Steel (like any material) does stretch and when unloaded can release a ton of k.e.

Last word from me on this, If someone out there insists on using a chain, at least invest in 2 cheap ankle weights with velcro attachments (these also work well for a winch weight) WHEN the chain breaks it gives you a fighting chance... not a sure thing but btter than not....

maverick said:
Chains not for recovery , I guess they will take all the Records off the road, Just about every record you see will have chains for recovery fastening points for pulling vehicles out of ditches, Let me see, ships use chains to recover 10ton anchors, Chain falls pull everything from engines to plated steel in refining, I pulled flatbeds an drop decks for a living how many Bulldozers an tractors you see dogged down with chains, If you want a heavy load to shift, put straps on it. Like I said this thing about chains is bullshit or you folks don't no there are different grades of chains.

Holding equipment down is much ddifferent than unsticking a vehicle hub deep in mud.

Yes "records" (I am asuming you mean wreckers?) use chains to bring vehicle out of a ditch... ut the vehicle is rolling the chain is simply pulling it.

A rolling vehicle will have a resistance (at worst up a steep ass hill) of say 900 lbs.

now take a 3k rig stuck in muck so lets double (this is being conservative... why else do you burn up 8k winches on 2k jeeps?) now we got 6k of stuck, lets tak a identical 3k vehicle, since traction wont allow it to budge a like wiethed vehicle lets " back on up and git a lil' slack" now at point of tension lets say ol Bubba is goin aroun 15 M.p.h. (again conservative we have all seen this and faster) your quickly approaching 6 figures of exerted force... how good is you grade 90 chain now???

You don't pull vehicles with walmart chain as stated there are different grades, A hardened 3/8" chain would pull your damn truck in half, I'll stand by my statement, Your full of Doo Doo. An for the spelling you figured it out, this aint a damn English class, an I am not a student.

maverick, please listen, my F-I-L owns a trucking company and I have been around semi's and flat beds all my life.. there is NO GRADE OF CHAIN MADE FOR SNATCHING TRUCKS OUT OF MUD...
If you choose to believe otherwise, please wear a helmet when chaining and please quit posting and possibly convincing younger riders to rty out chains

Back