OVER WEIGHT TICKETS SUCK!

Your 3500 weighs more than 7k empty.

I havn't weighed it yet, but the title says 5something. Just under 6K. Seemed a little on the low side to me too.

What she was telling me at the tag office is the 6000 personal tag is rated for the 6000 but that they let you get away with up to 9k. I'd have it in writing before trying it though.

My 7K tag is basically just what i got to start driving it. Once i start towing with it i'll weigh it and upgrade to the tag i need. Like the post title says...(over weight tickets suck)

My 2001 f250 7.3L weighed 7600 lbs at Foils scrap yard in Harrisburg the other week. That was only with me and one other person and maybe 20 gallons of Diesel. So I assume your 3500 would not weigh much less than that.

I havn't weighed it yet, but the title says 5something. Just under 6K. Seemed a little on the low side to me too.

Title weight assumes the base model.. gas engine, standard cab, 2wd.. My '98 Dodge 3500 CTD, 4wd QCLB was 7840lbs..

What she was telling me at the tag office is the 6000 personal tag is rated for the 6000 but that they let you get away with up to 9k. I'd have it in writing before trying it though.
My 7K tag is basically just what i got to start driving it. Once i start towing with it i'll weigh it and upgrade to the tag i need. Like the post title says...(over weight tickets suck)

I just got my cummins about 2 months ago and was told by the lady at the DMV that I just needed a regular tag for it because my truck according to them was only #6000 even though the guy i bought it from had to have a weighted tag on it when he had it.I knew I was going to be pulling my yota soon so I went back to the DMV here at base and she said the same thing about it weighing #6000 but that it was good for up to #9000,haha I mean whats up with that?So I figured out that #13000 would be good because it cost 130 bucks for it but when you go to a #14000 tag it goes to almost 200 bucks!

Well as you can read in my signature I have an 03' QCSB cummins 2500 and I was pulling my 16' trailer with my reg cab SASed yota pickup on it.I weighed at a gas staion with a cat scale and it said I weighed 13,600.The truck weighed in at a little over #8000,I have a 6" lift with 37's so a little heavy.

So Im wondering now how much the over wieght ticket would cost me for a few hundred pounds??

^ I got the same 9k mess when I got my truck a few weeks ago. I didnt risk anything and tagged it for 12k considering it will only haul 3-4 4wheelers on a 16ft trailer and camping gear . Wanted to be on the high side just to avoid the hassle and BS.

I believe you have to be 1k over in order to get a ticket, but that may be up to the officer's discretion. In any event, I doubt it's worth an extra $70/yr on the off chance you got weighed.

the weigh scale down the road from me is only big enough to weigh one axle at a time. I've read all over the internet and everywhere i see says to add the two axle weights together. Something about that just doesn't seem right. What if you are pulling a trailer? some of the trailer weight is on the truck but it would also come into play when you weigh the traier axles. Is there a formula for weighing axles seperately or is just adding them close enough?

My weights were:

front: 3740
rear:2840

Which adds up to: 6580lbs.

Hmmm. so i guess with the 1000lbs of dry ice i had in the back earlier today i was overweight with my 7k tag.

You did it right. Add all weights of wheels touching the ground. No other formulas or math is necessary. Lets say you had a trailer which weighed 2000 lb. If it was balanced to have 500 lb. of tongue weight, then the weight on the trailer axle would read 1500 on the scale, and the weight in the rear axle of your truck would be about 500 lb higher than without the trailer.

so far what I have figured out is that it depends on the state law you are in and how nice or not nice the officer is.

I really do not think that all the officers know the rules. I have been pulled in almost every state and never got a ticket or even had the scales pulled out just be nice and play dumb. I even got pulled 2 times in va by the tahoe guys and got out of both of them towing a 32' trailer with a 3500 ctd with a 12' box well over weight with nc tags on truck and expired mass tags on trailer.

NC is hurting for cash.
They have specifically been targeting trucks and trailers for 6 months.
Being nice will not help with a DMV officer.

I just have been told so many different things by so many different officers. I just want to know what the real deal.is I even asked DMV officers in the tahoes and got different answers. Especially if you are towing with a "rv"

They were watching 421 above wilkes this weekend, came outta nowhere and got the angle on my tag, ran it, saw I was good then turned around and went back to wait on another victim.

NC is hurting for cash.
They have specifically been targeting trucks and trailers for 6 months.
Being nice will not help with a DMV officer.

"When once magistrates act contrary to their office, and the end
of their institution — when they rob and ruin the public, instead of
being guardians of its peace and welfare — they immediately cease to
be the ordinance and ministers of God, and no more deserve that
glorious character than common pirates and highwaymen."

Jonathan Mayhew

'90 R3500 4 door, 2wd Chevy Dually (gas)
24' Pace enclosed trailer (GVW around 7,000 lbs.)
'71 Nova - *roughly* 3100 lbs.

I KNOW that I will need to get everything weighed to be sure and exact, but a 15,000 lb. tag should be sufficient, right?

I kinda screwed up on my post. The trailer's tongue tag reads GVWR as being 7,000 lbs. I'm not sure if the trailer itself weighs 7,000 lbs.

Oh, Im sorry, I should have figured that out when reading. I don't know exactly what your truck weighs, but 15k sounds like it would be plenty for that setup.

My truck is a regular cab short bed, and I am tagged for 13k, my trailer is a lot smaller, but has the same GVWR.

i guess 7k just seemed low to me for a 24 foot trailer.

Last friday, I passed a 2wd reg cab tacoma pulling a 5x8 utility trailer with 1 lawnmower on it, getting weighed on the portable scales. The weigh station was closed, but he was being weighed in the inspection area. This was 85 north in Charlotte.

Last friday, I passed a 2wd reg cab tacoma pulling a 5x8 utility trailer with 1 lawnmower on it, getting weighed on the portable scales. The weigh station was closed, but he was being weighed in the inspection area. This was 85 north in Charlotte.

That's just fucking pathetic. Even the standard 6k plates would be enough for that!

That's just freakin' stupid. Shows you that they are just out to bring in the bucks any way they can at this point.

Im kinda happy about it, in a way. At least it shows that they aren't just targeting people hauling cars, but any combination that appears overweight.

Back