Personal cdl

braxton357

Robot
So I might pick up a bucket truck, the problem is it's a 33k gvwr truck so I would potentially need a (class b) cdl. All my cdl friends got theirs through a school--I'm not looking to mess with any of that. The dmv website doesn't have a ton of info but it does look like I could just get the physical read the book, take the written test and potentially a driving test? Before I go by the dmv in the morning only to be told they've never heard of a cdl...has anyone done this? What steps should I take?

So I might pick up a bucket truck, the problem is it's a 33k gvwr truck so I would potentially need a (class b) cdl. All my cdl friends got theirs through a school--I'm not looking to mess with any of that. The dmv website doesn't have a ton of info but it does look like I could just get the physical read the book, take the written test and potentially a driving test? Before I go by the dmv in the morning only to be told they've never heard of a cdl...has anyone done this? What steps should I take?

Plead the 5th amendment.
It's my answer to everything.
Or, i felt my life was in danger and i wish to speak to my attorney.
:)

You will need someone with a class B driveable vehicle that can go with you since you will only have your permit and use their truck for the driving test part.

What is the penalty for driving it without a CDL?

What is the likelihood you will get pulled over it in?

I once knew a guy who had an over CDL bucket truck and no CDL.

I have never gotten pulled over unless I was doing something egregious and it was well deserved.

Problem will be if you have an accident in a cdl required vehicle without a cdl you are going to be screwed. Insurance probably will not cover it and the judge isn’t going to be easy you.

Problem will be if you have an accident in a cdl required vehicle without a cdl you are going to be screwed. Insurance probably will not cover it and the judge isn’t going to be easy you.
Maybe, though if you were doing nothing else illegal, I think a good lawyer would be able to mitigate it pretty thoroughly.

Depends on how much you drink and how often you go through checkpoints ;)

Does the next day on the trail count? Cause Keziahs blood/alcohol level is likely to still be 4x the limit by 9am meeting time :D

You will need someone with a class B driveable vehicle that can go with you since you will only have your permit and use their truck for the driving test part.

I bet he knows somebody...

What is the penalty for driving it without a CDL?

What is the likelihood you will get pulled over it in?

I once knew a guy who had an over CDL bucket truck and no CDL.

I have never gotten pulled over unless I was doing something egregious and it was well deserved.

Penalty would be a ticket, not sure on amount, and they would not allow you to drive off in truck, unless officer was very forgiving. You would then have to call someone with a cdl to come get truck.

Probability of getting pulled is low, as long as it doesn’t look like a death trap and you stay off main highways.

If you are referring to Bradley, I’m convinced he has a golden horseshoe.

You could tag truck at 26k, even though it has 33k gvw and take your chances. If you don’t have fuel sticker, or dot numbers on truck, roll the dice at 26k and you may never get stopped and checked. If you do, you could always plead ignorant and argue that you didn’t understand the laws, being that truck is tagged at 26.

Or go get your cdl and I’ll put you to work if you are ever bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m about $4k in the hole between ‘certificates’ and delayed jobs from CDL-less driving last month.

Overweight once. Put out of service twice. Delayed projects. Unhappy customers.

The short of it:
It’s not about what you’re towing. It’s about what you have the capacity to tow.

Lots of people post up big trucks for sale “No CDL required!” but as soon as you hook anything to it you’re over 26 on the gcwr and need cdl.

The overweight ticket is the $$$ part. Not having a CDL was only $30 or something. But they can park your ass right then and there until you find somebody with a CDL. And that could cost some coin unless you know a guy.

Also also. NC DMV is backed up on skills test on road test. Fist available within 2 hours of me was in Statesville and 3 weeks out. My local DMV was 3 months out.

If you are referring to Bradley, I’m convinced he has a golden horseshoe.

You could tag truck at 26k, even though it has 33k gvw and take your chances. If you don’t have fuel sticker, or dot numbers on truck, roll the dice at 26k and you may never get stopped and checked. If you do, you could always plead ignorant and argue that you didn’t understand the laws, being that truck is tagged at 26.
Not sure who Bradley is, but I was referring to myself. I had a buddy with CDL drive mine home down the interstate, but after that I drove it all over Gaston county with never so much as a second glance from the LEOs I passed.

@Will Carter I was talking to a friend of mine this afternoon and he said he got a non-CDL ticket and it was $30 so the numbers agree. He also said an overweight ticket was a hell of a lot more.

My truck was 29k GVWR, I had it tagged for 26k and planned to just play dumb if it ever became an issue. Empty truck was 21k, so even with a chipper in tow it was under 26k.

Since you asked, as far as I recall, for the test, you can get all the materials at DMV, or maybe a driving School. Study up for the regular CDL & a Class B, which covers air brakes, weather or not you have them. Like said here, someone with a CDL A or B, with have to drive a suitable truck to the test site. I say test site, because you can use DMV, or find a School that will just administer the Test. {About $75}. If done at a School, & they pass you, they give you the paper work to take to DMV & DMV issues the License. I personally seen 2 co-workers that went 2-3 times to DMV, only to get "Nit-Picked" & flunked. Then they went to School, & walked right through the first time! DMV, Also requires you to Make an appointment, for the test. BUT, that Doesn't guarantee you a spot. I went with one of the co-workers to DMV, & they were running behind. [Really?] The Only Officer giving CDL test had hit the end of his shift. He said sorry, better luck next time! They some Sorry Ass People!

Does the next day on the trail count? Cause Keziahs blood/alcohol level is likely to still be 4x the limit by 9am meeting time :D

Meh, I just call that tuning my reaction time to that of the 42RLE shifts. Outside of that I have nothing useful to add to this thread other than you're prob just better off to get a class A and be done. No more guessing if you're in the clear or not.

I'm not sure what the intended use is but I think you can have the gvwr lowered? Heard/read that somewhere, probably wrong but who knows.

I took a series of free online class B CDL sample tests. Once I was comfortable with the written test, I scheduled a time to take the test at the DMV.
No driving school or anything. Just my own online studying.
Written test and then the driving test. Just gotta have a Class B suitable truck to drive for the test.
Pro tip- don't drive yourself to the DMV in a CDL required truck for the test. The frown on that sort of thing...

Go to your local school system get in touch with transportation. Tell them you want a bus license. You can take the course and they will have you drive a bus. It is a lot of hoops to jump through. You will also need a DOT medical card. But, you will have a free class and a free class B to drive.

It does eat up some time though. 3 to 5 days

Go to your local school system get in touch with transportation. Tell them you want a bus license. You can take the course and they will have you drive a bus. It is a lot of hoops to jump through. You will also need a DOT medical card. But, you will have a free class and a free class B to drive.

It does eat up some time though. 3 to 5 days
O Yea! The Medical card. We all forgot that one. Generally runs about $75 at most places, but Urgent Care & Large Doctor's offices, can be Much more. I get mine from a Chiropractor. They don't have to be an MD, just Certified. Any "pre-existing" conditions, can make it hard on you. No conditions, & the card is good for 2 years. Any "conditions" or "restrictions", card only good for 1 year.

If you happen to have 10+ acres of land you can put a farm tag on it and be exempt. Weighted tag is half price too. There are restrictions, you can only use it for farming purposes.

Driving to the land, to a repair shop, to get fuel, to get supplies, all that counts. Also, the 10 acres doesn't necessarily have to be YOUR land. I have a farm tag on my M916 tagged for 80k. No CDL. I am farming trees, they are growing and will be ready to cut in 15-20 years haha.

If you happen to have 10+ acres of land you can put a farm tag on it and be exempt. Weighted tag is half price too. There are restrictions, you can only use it for farming purposes.

Driving to the land, to a repair shop, to get fuel, to get supplies, all that counts. Also, the 10 acres doesn't necessarily have to be YOUR land. I have a farm tag on my M916 tagged for 80k. No CDL. I am farming trees, they are growing and will be ready to cut in 15-20 years haha.

Got any links to rules on this^^
I just acquired a little tree farm myself.

Back