Pocket Knife - Options

FWIW .......
v56211_2.jpg

I have had one of these on my keychain for over 25 years.
I have owned 2.
The first was the Wenger version .... I found it on the bottom of Saint Andrews Bay - Tyndall AFB near Panama City FL while snorkeling 25 years ago. Keys were solid rust .... the knife had a cracked handle and a barnacle growing on it but no rust.
After about 10 years, the crack took the handle off.
Wife-n-kids got me a new Victorinox version a few months later for Christmas.
Literally use it 4-5 days a week, and it's still in great shape.

Matt

I used to make custom knife scales for a living and was able to handle many knives daily. As far as weight,quality and style it's hard to beat spyderco. I usually carry the Delica or my favorite Dragonfly 2. After that it would be the Kershaw Skyline.

EDIT; That's funny....Just saw this is from 2010. Guess we all love knives:)

Last edited:
Not sure how this got pulled from the depths.

It was my fault, I didnt pay attention to how old the original thread was. I was searching for the post from the guy selling Ontario survival knives for $25 but couldnt find it. Dont suppose any of yall know if that guy still has them or not or who he even was do you?

It was my fault, I didnt pay attention to how old the original thread was. I was searching for the post from the guy selling Ontario survival knives for $25 but couldnt find it. Dont suppose any of yall know if that guy still has them or not or who he even was do you?
Pretty sure that was @Tacoma747

I've carried a variety over the years, and but for the past 10 years I've carried an Applegate Fairbairn folder.

(Col. Applegate was an OSS officer who interviewed returning POW's or soldiers on how they killed Nazi's with their bare hands that wrote 'Kill or Get Killed' and Fairbairn was a Shanghai 'Red Light District' police officer between the World Wars who was famous for being in hundreds of fights and covered in knife scars. And one of the people James Bond is based off of.)

For the first 9 of those, I carried the Covert Folder, which is fairly big at 8.7" overall and 3.8" blade.
Gerber Covert Black - Folding - 154CM Double Bevel Serrated Edge Knife | Gerber Gear

Then, I lost it (Only to be found two weeks ago inside the couch - Thank goodness, I love that knife), and replaced it with the Combat Folder, which is really big at 10.06" overall and 4.48" blade.
Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Combat Folder Knife (4.48" Bead Blast Serr) 05780 - Blade HQ

While the Covert was a great size, the Combat is a bit to large, it's like using a short sword. Somewhat awkward when you are trying to break down cardboard boxes or something. I don't sharpen the back edge, because I close the knife one handed by pressing the back of the blade against my leg. But if you're crazy, you can since the handle will cover both edges.

Go with the Covert.

21568505_705812939618228_6591900537292062720_n.jpg

Back