Pocket Knives

shawn

running dog lackey of the oppressor class
Administrator
For years, I've carried one of several different Columbia River "Every Day Carry" M16s. It's a pretty good size, doesn't take up too much room in your pocket, but is big enough to be useful. I prefer the tanto cut because you can put some serious pressure on the edge if need be. They're also pretty cheap. I'll pick them up from Amazon or something for like $20-30/ea.

My only complaint is that if the hinge screw is too loose, the locking arm can pop over the hump and get stuck on the back side of the blade. Edit: Oh, and the screws on the belt clip thing are a real PITA to keep tight. I usually lock-tite them, but that means tracking down whatever tiny torx head (or was it allen??) that fits them.

Anyway, mine are getting a little long in the tooth, so I've been looking around to see what else is out there. It looks like a lot of the "pocket" knives are... large. Bigger than I really want to carry around every day. What's everybody else carrying, and how do you like it?
CRKT M16 EDC.jpg

Last edited:
Bench made Mel Purdue series. I also love spyder co. I carried a pacific salt for a year or so before I lost it at the flats.

This
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362534662.800118.jpg

Not sure what model but it has the FAST opening sys which I really like.

Sent from my mobile Toyota base using Tapatalk

154cm
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362534812.729985.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362534823.568043.jpg

Man I carry a standard Case, 3 blade. I used to carry the smaller version but every birthday and Christmas everyone gave me the bigger one and I stockpiled them. Now I have pocketknives for life! My favorite was actually a real Swiss Army knife that I found, I use my knives as tools though most of the time, cutting is only an occasional thing.

I know a guy that can hook you up with a kershaw at a good price....
I need to know who this guy is...

I personally carry a Kershaw Blackout 1550ST. I'm on the third one, because I had 1 get caught on the side of a trashbag as I was throwing it in the dumpster, and didn't realize it till that afternoon after the trash had gone. I still have the other two, and they serve me well. One is half serrated, the other is non-serrated. I can't decide which is my favorite because they are both so darn good. Very intuitive one hand operation, hold an edge well, and have a good feel and low pocket profile.

I have been carrying and occasionally loosing knives since I was 10. Gone through almost all of them at one time or another. For about 8 yrs I have managed to keep a Cold Steel Recon. Its bigger than the CRKT but has seen a lot of abuse and the steel holds a great edge.

I used to carry CRKT all the time. Good blade. I can't say I ever had the issues you have with yours.

About 8 years ago I switch to a Kershaw Ken Onion Chive. Loved it, had 2. And Kershaw has a damn good warranty. Recently picked up a different Kershaw a little larger Hinderer Design. The Chives have sky rocketed in price from when I got my first one. This new one was about $40 and liked the larger size. The liner lock is a little stiff, but you get use to it. I vote Kershaw too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362539752.074175.jpg

I carried Spydercos for years and like them alot but they have become pricey and have more competition nowadays. I've had one of these for over a year used almost every day and the hinge is as locktight as day 1. It is funny looking but the hinge is massive and strong and mine does'nt open w a flick of the wrist, but it is light, nice steel, and you cannot beat it for $25 at wallyworld. Gerber Remix

Remix-Fine-Edge-1.jpg

Kershaw 1910cktst (MADE IN THE USA) for everyday everything, I LOVE this knife and need to stockpile them. Also a Snap On small Kershaw I carry at work, had this one since '04.

I have been carrying a Kershaw 1960. Its not bad for a cheaper knife. No issues with the hinge, or clip like you described. It has the open assist which is nice, but it get clogged with pocket lint and doesnt work like it used to. I found mine on woot one day for ~$10.

This is what I have been carrying the last couple of years. It's a Kershaw Ken Onion Scallion. It's lightweight, compact, not bulky in the pocket, and keeps a nice sharp edge. I think it was about $40 from Smokey Mtn Knife Works. Can get it with serrated blade also.

KS1620.jpg

I carry a Spyderco Paramilitary2, very comparable in size to teh M16, but MUCH higher quality. I guess I am a little bit of a spyderco fanboy but it is way nicer than the titanium M16 I had a few years ago.

SOG flash 2, im on my 2nd one now after i lost the first one....really like it for the quality and a pretty good price....have to order it in straight blade though, i dont like serrated

I carry a full size Kbar fighting knife on a daily basis :fuck-you: but when im not being a bad ass I rotate between a http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmadebonecollector15055-2lockbackfolderwcocobolohandles.aspx that I picked up at a knife show back in cali and had my name etched on it and stuff for a pretty good deal or a m16sf. Its just what ever knife I grab first out of my draw in the mornings, I love them both. Sometimes I carry this http://www.crkt.com/Crawford-NECK-Black-with-Olive-Drab-Cord-Wrap. Its not to big for a fixed blade and comes and stay super sharp. I also with have a multi tool (leatherman brand) on me too.

Benchmade 550SBKHG Griptilian. I'm on my second one. The first one was given to me by a friend and I broke the tip off the blade taking the input shaft out of an NV4500 :rolleyes: So I bought a brand new one :huggy: Never have found the time to send them both in for new blades. It's only 25 bucks a knife. They'll sharpen it if it's still in decent shape. Not cheap, but I keep track of my knife as well as I do my wallet. I feel naked without my knife! How else would I open snacks, keep my fingernails clean, or stuff like that?

What I like most is the lock mechanism. Never had one come close to shutting when locked. Very good, yet simple knife.

Last edited:
I love (Shrade) Old Timer Knives but not the chinese made knock offs.Price is out ragious on ebay for U.S. made knives.

Benchmade monochrome, Its about the cheapest benchmade you can buy and iv'e had no complaints in the past 2 years

1111111aaaa.jpg

I don't carry a knife, they don't allow sharp things at the institute!
Actually I found myself loosing too many of them. At work I do carry a Craftsman locking razor knife. It has an aluminum case and is very light. All the ionize coating is about worn off. It gets dull, flip the blade or change it. I think I paid $10.
I am old school, and dislike any blades except the carbon steel blades. I can sharpen them to a razor's edge with a whit rock and a leather strap. Yeah they will shave ya. When my dad passed, I was given two of his knives. I give one to my son Josh, who carries it on occasion, and one to my daughter to give to my oldest grand son. Both are older Case knives.

Back