Problems with Chrysler and Ram - Warranty Issue - Fan Shroud Radiator Failure

By Oliver's on Aug 5, 2015 at 1:09 PM
  1. Oliver's

Oliver's Drive Line & Gear

I have to voice my extreme disappointment and disgust with the Chrysler corporation, mainly the RAM division and it's customer service or lack there of.

On Thursday the 30th of July, approx. 9:30am, my 10 month old, 2014 Ram 3500 Dually with just barely 20K miles on it suffered a catastrophic failure. While going up Black Mtn. in the western part of NC, I hear a loud plastic snap sound from under the hood. I pull over immediately, raise the hood to steam and antifreeze spraying all over the engine compartment. After letting it cool for about a half hour, I was able to see all the damage that had been done in those brief few seconds. A piece of the rubber that ties the two fan shrouds together had come loose. The fan sucked the 2" rubber cover into it, causing the fan to make severe contact with the radiator. The fan had cut a 4" circular slice into the radiator, loosing the bulk of the antifeeze on the shoulder of the road where I sat stranded, less than half way up the Mtn.

After calming down a bit I called Ram road side assistance. The lady on the phone was very nice and made sure I was safely off the road. She arranged for a tow truck to take the dually to the nearest dealership (29 miles away), but stated they would only cover the first 20 miles of the tow and that the 24' enclosed trailer I was pulling would not be covered in the tow. She stated that I would have to call another tow service to take my trailer to the dealership. Not happy about that fact, but what could I do? The tow truck arrived and hour and a half later. We then begin to unhook the trailer, the driver asked what was in the trailer? An off road buggy he was told. Taking mercy on me, he said it can't be that heavy and once he loaded the dually on the roll back, he hooked the trailer up to the hitch on the roll back also. He then took the whole thing to the dealership in Asheville NC. I then paid my portion of the 29 mile trip, $100 dollars. No worries, the driver saved me that amount at least in another tow bill, I tipped him and he went on his way.

Once at the dealership, they said they couldn't look at the truck until the next day, they were busy and I understand that completely. Meanwhile on the phone with Ram customer service, after hours of arguing and complaining, they agreed to get me a rental truck from the Enterprise rental car across the street from the dealership. While waiting for 5+ hours at the dealership, we start looking on google to see if this type of failure has happened before. Low and behold it has and quite a few times at that. Not only that, but there was a Chrysler Star case issued, stating "The Star case is S1307000002, release date 8/12/2013 covering the improper installation of the fan shroud at the factory." This resulting in the rubber coming loose and being entangled in the fan.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/…/1230249-radiator-fan-clutch-n…

A little heads up......fan shroud

2014 6.7 2500 Fan Shroud/Radiator failure - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

2013 dead on side of road - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Now 4pm we are just gettng back on the road to our original destination, still 3.5 hours away. Thinking everything was under control, I relaxed a bit. Friday came and went with no call from the dealership, thinking to myself, this is clearly a warranty issue, they have me covered. I didn't think much about it the rest of the weekend, again thinking this clearly was going to be a warranty issue and it will be covered.

Monday afternoon I finally get a call from the service writer, stating that they are refusing to warranty the truck. They claim the damage was done by an outside force such as road debris. I am a mechanic by trade, have been for over 20 years, I own my own automotive service shop, I know what happened first hand and I'm not buying this cop out. Understandably angered by this, I immediately call Ram customer service back, just to be told that there is nothing they can do. Stating that the regional rep David Hooten had the final say and his decision could not be overturned. With over $1800 dollars worth of damage done to the truck, just giving in was not an option. So I call Ram CC back again, this time getting another person. I explained the situation to her and said let me see what I can do. Apparently all channels had not been followed, as they should have been. Breathing a sigh of relief and thinking surely someone with just a little bit of common sense would be able see what has happened and help me.

Late the next day, Tuesday the 4th of Aug, I get a call back from the Ram CC folks, I can tell from the tone of her voice it wasn't going to be good news for me. She stated, after further review they would not be warranting my truck damage, again stating that it had occurred from an outside force, such as road debris. I again plead my case but realize I'm getting nowhere fast. I hang up knowing I am out of options. I need my truck back for work, it's 2+ hours away, I'm racking up a huge rental bill now that Ram will not be covering. I have no option but to pay the inflated dealership charge and get my truck back.

What do I do?

I write this in hopes of someone out there knowing who I can talk to and/or someone who can help, advise or otherwise.

A little history on the truck. 10 months old, in the shop 12 plus times with various issues. 13 new tires, yes 13! 3 new wheels, countless TPS sensors, a cruise control failure, sliding rear window failure, driver side seat electrical failure, on top of the Ram factory recall warranty issues.

Please share this with anyone who you think could be of help.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2015
Article Tags:

Comments

1. shawn
      shawn
      I'd give anything (except $500 for a supplementary tank) to have an extra 10 gallons. There are several trips that need two fuel stops right now. That's an extra 15-20 mins every time. 26 gallons is stupid. That's only 200-250 miles per tank, loaded.
    2. shawn
      shawn
      ... That's a brand new fawking truck???
      Jason W. likes this.
    3. RatLabGuy
      RatLabGuy
      wow 36 gallons? :eek: Thats like 200 lbs in gasoline.
    4. shawn
      shawn
      252#.
      Kamel likes this.
    5. Ron
      Ron
      totally depends on the blend but its more than that.
      7.3 will keep you real damn close.

Small tanks suck. New truck has 22 gallon tank....I buy gas EVERY. FAWKING. DAY.
    6. Oliver's
      Oliver's
      IIRC, there is 39 gal. optional tank it can be ordered with.
    7. rockcity
      rockcity

Not really. It had a few miles on it when I bought it. February was a year of owning it. I'm on my 3rd set of tires :D
      Kamel and trailhugger like this.
    8. GotWood
      GotWood
      My 99 Powerstroke will hold 50 gal after cutting the filler neck down. I can run almost 600 miles pulling my 14' enclosed trailer and over 800 miles empty.
    9. shawn
      shawn

I used 7 even.
    10. RatLabGuy
      RatLabGuy
      ... and I bet the gas station attendant loves seeing you pull in!
      That's 3.5 full tanks on my Mazda, lol.
      Jody Treadway likes this.
    11. Tim C
      Tim C
      I had the top radiator tank split climbing fancy gap on the way to Harlan this past weekend. Had to put one in at a gas station at exit 8[emoji26] I got to smell that all the way to Harlan and home. I used purple stuff degreaser at work today and sprayed everything under the hood I could reach with a pesticide pump sprayer including the hood insulation and frame rails. That seems to have killed the stink.
    12. GotWood
      GotWood
      I usually run at least 50% veggie oil, so they don't get as much as they would like!
      Jeff B likes this.
    13. shawn
      shawn
      Why didn't you just throw $65 grand in a barrel and set it on fire?
    14. rockcity
      rockcity
      The excitement that way is all bundled up in 2 minutes. Major excitement but the duration is just short. I've learned in my old age to pace myself a little more with the excitement.
    15. Ron
      Ron
      And by a few miles he means 90k
    16. cardudenc
      cardudenc
      I myself just hung up the phone with the same customer service. Or close. Jeep.
      So if u get anywhere or find someone higher up the ladder u can talk to . Please pass along the info.
      Just ordered the fiancee a new wrangler unlimited. After taking delivery and driving it home 260 miles. While washing it found out I have a paint defect on my hardtop. My dealer is in agreement with me. They need to send me a new factory painted top. But all I get offered is for them to take it to a body shop and have it sprayed. Sorry I don't think that is acceptable on a new 45k vehicle
      Andy J. and 98_tj like this.
    17. mysterync
      mysterync
      So you can accidently contaminate the fuel and drop $10k on a fuel system repair? Lol cp4's suck.
      Jody Treadway likes this.
    18. YotaOnRocks
      YotaOnRocks
      Good luck bud. If you search I have a thread on here of a similar situation. My truck ended up being fixed by 3rd party body shop. Keep on them and don't let up.
    19. shawn
      shawn
      You've seen the video where the Chrysler factory workers leave the job at lunch, go buy 40s at the quick stop, then drive out to a park to smoke blunts and play Edward 40hands before going back to work, right?

You'll probably get better body work at an independent shop.
      Caver Dave likes this.
    20. YotaOnRocks
      YotaOnRocks
      No but I've seen the byproducts of said behavior.
    21. Tacoma747
      Tacoma747
      Just get a Ford 6.0, great engines. I hear there is a good mechanic up in Madison that works on them too.
      benmack1, jeepinmatt and Blaze like this.
    22. BIGWOODY
      BIGWOODY
      I've had at least 3 people pull in my driveway and try to buy my 01' CTD all of them were driving newer diesel trucks...now I know why.
    23. Steve01
      Steve01
      Talking about things that are acceptable, try watching your brand new 45k (way less than 10k miles) Jeep burn to the ground with almost 10k worth of firearms, optics and other gear inside. FCA gives zero f*cks.
    24. Oliver's
      Oliver's
      While towing our 30' camper up Hwy 16 into Glendale Springs on Thursday, I hear the same Plastic snap again when the motor fan kicked on. I almost threw up, I got pulled over as quickly as possible, took a half mile or so to find a safe spot. Expecting to see the same nightmare again, but nothing. I have no idea what this sound is, but it'll only do it pulling a pretty steep grade and the motor fan has to be engaged.

Counting the days....
    25. Infamous1
      Infamous1
      Is it possible that the sound is unrelated to the previous damage? Or you think maybe a preclude to the same thing happening again? I would probly take it back to..........Nah nevermind