Problems with Chrysler and Ram - Warranty Issue - Fan Shroud Radiator Failure

Oliver's

Drive Line & Gear
I have to voice my extreme disappointment and disgust with the Chrysler corporation, mainly the RAM division and it's customer service or lack there of.

On Thursday the 30th of July, approx. 9:30am, my 10 month old, 2014 Ram 3500 Dually with just barely 20K miles on it suffered a catastrophic failure. While going up Black Mtn. in the western part of NC, I hear a loud plastic snap sound from under the hood. I pull over immediately, raise the hood to steam and antifreeze spraying all over the engine compartment. After letting it cool for about a half hour, I was able to see all the damage that had been done in those brief few seconds. A piece of the rubber that ties the two fan shrouds together had come loose. The fan sucked the 2" rubber cover into it, causing the fan to make severe contact with the radiator. The fan had cut a 4" circular slice into the radiator, loosing the bulk of the antifeeze on the shoulder of the road where I sat stranded, less than half way up the Mtn.

After calming down a bit I called Ram road side assistance. The lady on the phone was very nice and made sure I was safely off the road. She arranged for a tow truck to take the dually to the nearest dealership (29 miles away), but stated they would only cover the first 20 miles of the tow and that the 24' enclosed trailer I was pulling would not be covered in the tow. She stated that I would have to call another tow service to take my trailer to the dealership. Not happy about that fact, but what could I do? The tow truck arrived and hour and a half later. We then begin to unhook the trailer, the driver asked what was in the trailer? An off road buggy he was told. Taking mercy on me, he said it can't be that heavy and once he loaded the dually on the roll back, he hooked the trailer up to the hitch on the roll back also. He then took the whole thing to the dealership in Asheville NC. I then paid my portion of the 29 mile trip, $100 dollars. No worries, the driver saved me that amount at least in another tow bill, I tipped him and he went on his way.

Once at the dealership, they said they couldn't look at the truck until the next day, they were busy and I understand that completely. Meanwhile on the phone with Ram customer service, after hours of arguing and complaining, they agreed to get me a rental truck from the Enterprise rental car across the street from the dealership. While waiting for 5+ hours at the dealership, we start looking on google to see if this type of failure has happened before. Low and behold it has and quite a few times at that. Not only that, but there was a Chrysler Star case issued, stating "The Star case is S1307000002, release date 8/12/2013 covering the improper installation of the fan shroud at the factory." This resulting in the rubber coming loose and being entangled in the fan.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/…/1230249-radiator-fan-clutch-n…

A little heads up......fan shroud

2014 6.7 2500 Fan Shroud/Radiator failure - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

2013 dead on side of road - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Now 4pm we are just gettng back on the road to our original destination, still 3.5 hours away. Thinking everything was under control, I relaxed a bit. Friday came and went with no call from the dealership, thinking to myself, this is clearly a warranty issue, they have me covered. I didn't think much about it the rest of the weekend, again thinking this clearly was going to be a warranty issue and it will be covered.

Monday afternoon I finally get a call from the service writer, stating that they are refusing to warranty the truck. They claim the damage was done by an outside force such as road debris. I am a mechanic by trade, have been for over 20 years, I own my own automotive service shop, I know what happened first hand and I'm not buying this cop out. Understandably angered by this, I immediately call Ram customer service back, just to be told that there is nothing they can do. Stating that the regional rep David Hooten had the final say and his decision could not be overturned. With over $1800 dollars worth of damage done to the truck, just giving in was not an option. So I call Ram CC back again, this time getting another person. I explained the situation to her and said let me see what I can do. Apparently all channels had not been followed, as they should have been. Breathing a sigh of relief and thinking surely someone with just a little bit of common sense would be able see what has happened and help me.

Late the next day, Tuesday the 4th of Aug, I get a call back from the Ram CC folks, I can tell from the tone of her voice it wasn't going to be good news for me. She stated, after further review they would not be warranting my truck damage, again stating that it had occurred from an outside force, such as road debris. I again plead my case but realize I'm getting nowhere fast. I hang up knowing I am out of options. I need my truck back for work, it's 2+ hours away, I'm racking up a huge rental bill now that Ram will not be covering. I have no option but to pay the inflated dealership charge and get my truck back.

What do I do?

I write this in hopes of someone out there knowing who I can talk to and/or someone who can help, advise or otherwise.

A little history on the truck. 10 months old, in the shop 12 plus times with various issues. 13 new tires, yes 13! 3 new wheels, countless TPS sensors, a cruise control failure, sliding rear window failure, driver side seat electrical failure, on top of the Ram factory recall warranty issues.

Please share this with anyone who you think could be of help.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask a Ford or Chevy dealer what they have available for trade :flipoff2:
As usual, I have nothing useful to add :D

Pay a local meth head to set it on fire?

If it were mine and they I couldn't get it taken care of through warranty in a timely manner then I would just pick the truck up and fix it myself. Then I'd probably sell it ASAP and get something else.

Duane

A little off topic, but it's common sense that because of the torque involved of the odometer being sped up by 10% is why every one of them fails. You can usually deduct 10% from the total mileage when purchasing for personal sake if it even still operates on any Ram.

At least I know my '94 is sped up from marker to marker by 10%. I think they wanted to be known for longer mileage than what they really were and got away with it before engine codes existed.

Actually, If Chrysler says it was caused by Road Debris, then you should get your insurance company involved, I'm sure you have full coverage, Right? your insurance company is likely to say it was a defect, and go after Chrysler.... Be vocal with Chrysler that you are doing this, Also, your Insurance may continue to cover the Rental Vehicle.....

Leave your truck at the dealership, and have the insurance adjuster look at it there....

The insurance co. is involved as of this morning. I think I burnt my bridge with the Ram CC people yesterday, very uncharacteristic of me, but i was loosing my mind.

A little off topic, but it's common sense that because of the torque involved of the odometer being sped up by 10% is why every one of them fails. You can usually deduct 10% from the total mileage when purchasing for personal sake if it even still operates on any Ram.

At least I know my '94 is sped up from marker to marker by 10%. I think they wanted to be known for longer mileage than what they really were and got away with it before engine codes existed.

Can you try that again? This time, in English, please.

I'll try... Oota, eiddin glothen miles begotten odo's faster than my ooten.:shaking:

Every Ram I know of with mechanical odometers that still work (including my 94) registers going about 10-15% faster and further than what it actually is. I think why most of the older gen ram's odometers break is cause the additional torque on the numbers to roll around faster. I think they were designed that way from factory for simple Chrysler bragging rights...

Just noting of what I think about the honesty of Chrysler all together. That's all.;)

Are the issues that had the truck in 12 times in 10 months resolved? Maybe you should look into Lemon Laws?

The insurance claim is a good idea. Wouldn't have thought of that. Get two people who's job it is to pay as little as possible fighting each other.

The bulk of those was a continued tire and wheel issue, which is 95% fixed. The truck was bought on a Saturday and was back in the shop with a shaking issue the very next monday.

12 times in 10 months qualifies for lemon law in NC almost regardless of the issues.
More than 3 times for 1 issue or 4 separate issues = Lemon.

Now maybe it was in there exactly 3 times for exactly 4 different issues...but Im betting Dave is due a new truck...

Hell Ford bought my 03 6.0 back after 8 issues...voluntarily

sorry started reply walked away then saw your response.

Sounds like it needs to be added to the list of vehicles being bought back in the midst of this massive issue Chrysler is currently dealing with.

I'm really interested to see how things go now that the insurance company is involved. They'll for sure raise some stink about it!

Dave,
Have you tried getting your local dealer involved that you bought the truck from?

Sometimes they may have a different rep just a few counties apart.

If there are recall and service advisories for known issues, tell them to fix those and leave the rest.

Dave,
Have you tried getting your local dealer involved that you bought the truck from?

Sometimes they may have a different rep just a few counties apart.
He couldnt get dealer to stand behind other issues.....

Chevy's been kickin truck owners under the bus for the last few w their active fuel management engine.They basically band aid em until the warranty runs out.Ford done it w the 6.0's Chevy done it w some of the LS engines and now its Dodge's turn.If it wasn't for Cummins,Dodge would have been out of the truck business a long time ago.

This sounds like a shitty situation that has slim chance of getting better. You handled the situation better than I would have. I would have told them to come get there pos truck off the side of the road and to give me a new one. Sad that you can go out and spend 50ish hand on a product, it fails and the manufacture basically tells you tough shit.

I was literally just discussing all this Chrysler warranty crap with my brother... He's a tech at Kville Dodge. I sent him this link.

Chevy's been kickin truck owners under the bus for the last few w their active fuel management engine.They basically band aid em until the warranty runs out.Ford done it w the 6.0's Chevy done it w some of the LS engines and now its Dodge's turn.If it wasn't for Cummins,Dodge would have been out of the truck business a long time ago.

The AFM on Chevy trucks blows ass! It's not if your lifters will fail....it's when. You can delete it, of course, but it's more money. A guy at work just bought a 2013 Silverado. Not only is that a hideous body style, it's AFM too. I couldn't own anything that has that mess on it.

Back