Project Steampunk Vol.2

If @ghost will get off his ass and get his kayak ready, he'd be going too. :flipoff2:
Thought about you today. Was in Aiken paying respects to an uncle. One of my dads brothers, he had 8 siblings. Asked a cousin about hitting the South Edisto. He said we needed to take a good chainsaw. No one had been down it in years. as a side note I have a Mohawk Canoe in Aiken the kayak I asked you about belongs to the step son and is a 2 person one. I do want to run some rivers but I'm too old for these primitive over night trips.

Welcome to my house:
The river always attracts the real.
South Carolina wild life. Passing on the passion and knowledge to the future of our tribe. We accept anyone and everyone. Misfits always look out for each other.
IMG_20210619_094305408.jpg

Took me years to get access to this spot. Lakefront camp for the night.

IMG_20210619_181008540_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210619_191022157.jpg

Last edited:
I think one weekend I’d like to just slip away and head south, and spend a weekend Savage style with you. I feel like it would make a story worth writing, and memories I’ll never forget. Except the parts I won’t remember.

I think one weekend I’d like to just slip away and head south, and spend a weekend Savage style with you. I feel like it would make a story worth writing, and memories I’ll never forget. Except the parts I won’t remember.
Do it.

I might actually have a suggestion here. It might not be living Savage style in the woods but could be lots of fun... JR I will be texting maybe calling you tomorrow.

I might actually have a suggestion here. It might not be living Savage style in the woods but could be lots of fun... JR I will be texting maybe calling you tomorrow.
I'll be in and out the water dodging thunderstorms all day. Got decent cell signal though.

I found the Achilles heel of the Kenwood marine CD head unit for about the fifth time. They hate getting water in the CD slot. "Send Service"? Dafuq you mean? Junk.
About to order a Bluetooth connective pod for the Jeep and be done with it. Granted, I did sleep through a monsoon rain last night.
IMG_20210620_100454320.jpg

Switch panel works brilliantly though.

So this thread is about to take a different turn. As I was mentioning before, there are a lot of things I'd like to do to Project Steampunk that are somewhat time consuming. Most are way more than I can do in a two day weekend. The build will continue, and always will.
For right now I've swapped the tag over to an 02 Silverado 4x4 that I just bought and will be my primary transportation while the jeep is down. No need to insure two vehicles when I only drive one at a time. Just spent all afternoon knocking the cobwebs out of it and giving it a thorough cleaning. It's got a need-to-buy parts list that's shorter than that of the Jeep's lol. First up is a diagnostic and at worse, a tune up, a sensor replacement or two, and fuel injector cleaning. All of which I have boxes of new and spare parts for. God bless an LS!
IMG_20210705_122139208_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210705_122225907_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210705_122252859_HDR.jpg

$1100 beater for the win, or excuse me, hot 20 year old white girl.

Last edited:
Update: Project Steampunk is about to be down for repairs starting Monday.
I'm trying to get it back up and going as quickly as possible without getting too crazy. In it's future may very well be a front four link with 14" coilovers and some new rubber. I'm really not wanting it to sit longer than a few months. By Christmas time, it'll be back on the road wether I'm able to finance the bigger upgrades or not.
In the meantime, I have this to drive.

Flashback a month ago:

This Silverado I bought from my nextdoor neighbor has been my primary focus lately. With a purchase price of $1100, needless to say I had a screaming good deal land in my lap, even knowing it needed a lot of TLC. It sat for four years unloved and derelict. The fuel system was fubar. The brake calipers on the rear were locked down. The driveshaft U-joints were trashed. I ended up replacing the joints, fuel pump, a handful of sensors and cleaning all 8 injectors one by one. I ended up having 4 that were beyond gone, but I had a spare set or three. While I was at it, I ordered and installed a 1.5-2" Rough Country leveling lift (complete with 4 new shocks) and followed up with a brand new set of tires on it. Swapped the stock, foggy, leaking headlights also. My years of LS spare parts collectiveness and shade tree mechanic skills helped make this a breeze, albeit it was all done on late afternoons in 100 degree heat. With original purchase price and all upgrades (lift, tires, parts included), I'm at ~$2300 total and this thing purrs like a little kitty kitty that just woke up from a nap and ready to go play. This'll get me by til Steampunk is finished and for many many years beyond that. GM for the win.

Before:
IMG_20210615_194152956_HDR.jpg

Today:
IMG_20210731_143816577_HDR.jpg

If the AC works, that's even better. I think it's 101 in Bluffton today. I am NOT impressed by it and this is uncalled for!

Truck looks good though. Needs a turbo in the future so it can be a super fun sleeper :D

If the AC works, that's even better. I think it's 101 in Bluffton today. I am NOT impressed by it and this is uncalled for!

Truck looks good though. Needs a turbo in the future so it can be a super fun sleeper :D
You ain't lying. It is G****mn scorching.
They don't make beer cold enough to offset this nonsense!! 😂 Hell yeah AC works!!

I'm open to all options for power adders. I do plan on driving it by Chris Tootens shop for a "hop up" session in the near future.

I think Z06 cams work pretty decent in a 4.8 and the little motors looovvvee boost. So....get after it! I've got a spare Duramax intercooler if it'll fit :D

20 lbs or nothing! 7 or so if you want to be lame and not build the transmission...:rolleyes:

Sitting here chillin in the backyard dirt shop. I think the temperature right now is like 77. Decent break from the insane heat wave last week. My 35th birthday is in 12 days. Fancy that. Planning a big long kayak/camp trip with one my brothers right now for that weekend. 20+ miles of river split in half with an uninhabited island with historic references dating back to the French/Indian war....sure, let's do this shit.

It's a groovy time right now. The Silverado runs like a dream. Now I can devise a strategic plan for Steampunk that will be mildly invasive. I can't bring myself to deeply alter a perfectly good running Jeep. I'm just gonna fix a few things and keep it roaring. I really would like to build a 1350CV-1410 driveshaft for the rear. I built it around having a CV shaft suspension-wise, and a single ended 1410 is cramping my jive. I wanna do 80+ on the interstate again without these ridiculous vibrations. Or stretch the wheelbase more in the rear. What's gonna take the least amount of time; that's where I'm at.
IMG_20210803_202455869.jpg

Update? Maybe?
So, my 35th birthday party was a few weeks ago. It had to be split up between work weeks and held between several locations. It was a damn good one. The Broad river crew is growing in size by the day. There's a few rules to live by. A four wheel drive, a kayak, love for history, a good attitude and a willingness to ride at any time. There's a lifetime of discovery to be made and a select few that's down to go live it. We are out here. Find us.
IMG_20210828_170606_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210828_090230.jpg

IMG_20210822_121100.jpg

IMG_20210808_133200223_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210807_190837117_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210828_120755_hdr.jpg

For those interested in history, we'll be here with a few relics on display.
545.jpeg

Hats off to those who let us do what we do. Just out stocking up for the display tables next weekend and having fun while doing it.
IMG_20210904_101427_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210904_104204.jpg

The owner of some beautiful riverfront acreage let us drive down to hunt today. This is what we do. On foot and by water. There's nothing that comes close to finding a manmade hunting tool thousands of years old and holding it in your hand. South Carolina wild life.
2021-09-04_11-28-34.jpg

IMG_20210904_114418.jpg

IMG_20210904_112547.jpg

Clubhouse cook out.
IMG_20210904_151144_hdr.jpg

IMG_20210904_153933_hdr.jpg

Last edited:
@XJsavage is it because they normally camped beside water that the arrow heads are found there or is it due to water washing the soil away…or both?

@XJsavage is it because they normally camped beside water that the arrow heads are found there or is it due to water washing the soil away…or both?
Well, here's what I know....
First off, what little we know about the native Americans in the US comes only from archeology and a limited amount of documentation from 17th-19th century European settlers. We know practically NOTHING. The only remnants left for us to ponder upon are the artifacts buried under thousands of years of geological history in the soil we stand on. It's hard to grasp the concept of what happened here 10,000+ years ago, but it's still here. The people were real. The tools used by these people to survive the harshest conditions nature can throw at them are pure treasures. To sit down and try to imagine what it was like to live thousands of years ago on the very land we call home today will make your brain explode. Human beings have a lot shorter list of basic necessities than what are lead to believe today. There's a few of those necessities that'll never change, and has always been the key to our survival. Timber, stone, water, and wildlife. Where all four exist, lies the keys to human history, future and past, and that will never change. The world is full of treasures beyond our wildest imagination. The only way to find them is to put yourself there. When you land in the right place, you will know it. It's in our DNA. Slow down and just listen. The gifts of time have a way of revealing themselves.

We need to hang out one day.

Well, here's what I know....
First off, what little we know about the native Americans in the US comes only from archeology and a limited amount of documentation from 17th-19th century European settlers. We know practically NOTHING. The only remnants left for us to ponder upon are the artifacts buried under thousands of years of geological history in the soil we stand on. It's hard to grasp the concept of what happened here 10,000+ years ago, but it's still here. The people were real. The tools used by these people to survive the harshest conditions nature can throw at them are pure treasures. To sit down and try to imagine what it was like to live thousands of years ago on the very land we call home today will make your brain explode. Human beings have a lot shorter list of basic necessities than what are lead to believe today. There's a few of those necessities that'll never change, and has always been the key to our survival. Timber, stone, water, and wildlife. Where all four exist, lies the keys to human history, future and past, and that will never change. The world is full of treasures beyond our wildest imagination. The only way to find them is to put yourself there. When you land in the right place, you will know it. It's in our DNA. Slow down and just listen. The gifts of time have a way of revealing themselves.

I have read a lot and have a niece who is half Lumbee and is very knowledgeable. She took me to a powwow once. My understanding is that the population of NAs was tremendous until European diseases decimated them in the 16-1700s and reduced the numbers to what we commonly think of in the 1800s cowboy era.

The thousands of years between crossing into Alaska and the 1600s is quite a mystery. The mounds and monoliths alone are fascinating. I’ve been in Central/South America a good bit and seen a lot of Mayan, Aztec and Inca sites and have been very interested in all those cultures for a long time. The feeling you refer to is definitely something I experienced in Belize, Guatemala and Mexico at Mayan ruins, you just know once you’re exposed to it.

Having been out west a few times the plains people interest me a great deal too.

My favorite are the Iroquois which includes the Cherokee and Saura (Surry Co).

Definitely

Here we are. Progress has been minimal on the Jeep. It needs nothing to go out and raise hell other than a legal badge with letters and numbers on it. I'm going to keep it that way for now. For the last few months I've been staying close to my brothers and sisters, living life in the woods. There's several of us moving from Georgia and the upstate of SC to take part in the communion. We've decided to all collect in a small town near the river, buying up all the land we can while it's dirt cheap. What would it take to own a large portion of an entire town? Let's find out. I'm bored, and have no friends in Columbia anymore, or any reason to stay here. My days at Stuyck company are about to end. I just quit caring and have grown to hate Columbia with a passion. I just don't want to live or work here anymore. I'm ready to hit the road and don't give a fuck what happens, as long as I know who's around me. South Carolina Wild Life.

Recap:
*No numbers, names or locations will be shared now or ever. I'm about to disappear again.

Home sweet home. 100+ year old granite stone house sitting on acreage.

IMG_20211212_142742_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211212_121913_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211211_181135_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211106_183924_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211106_090650_hdr.jpg

IMG_20211016_092029.jpg

Got a 3 day trip to the swamps of Santee planned just in time to speak to God. I need to talk to Him again.
Screenshot_20211214-122353.png

Here we are. Progress has been minimal on the Jeep. It needs nothing to go out and raise hell other than a legal badge with letters and numbers on it. I'm going to keep it that way for now. For the last few months I've been staying close to my brothers and sisters, living life in the woods. There's several of us moving from Georgia and the upstate of SC to take part in the communion. We've decided to all collect in a small town near the river, buying up all the land we can while it's dirt cheap. What would it take to own a large portion of an entire town? Let's find out. I'm bored, and have no friends in Columbia anymore, or any reason to stay here. My days at Stuyck company are about to end. I just quit caring and have grown to hate Columbia with a passion. I just don't want to live or work here anymore. I'm ready to hit the road and don't give a fuck what happens, as long as I know who's around me. South Carolina Wild Life.

Recap:
*No numbers, names or locations will be shared now or ever. I'm about to disappear again.

Home sweet home. 100+ year old granite stone house sitting on acreage.

View attachment 363339
View attachment 363340
View attachment 363341
View attachment 363342
View attachment 363343
View attachment 363344

Got a 3 day trip to the swamps of Santee planned just in time to speak to God. I need to talk to Him again.
View attachment 363345
That looks like an awesome place and a good size mouse catcher to boot! Going to miss it brother if you roll out. PM’d you chief.

Back