Project Steampunk

I need a new ram but it will have to wait a few months. I'll saving that last one too.

Build looks good man. Any plans to pull that box apart to get all the metal shavings out?
I wondered about that too. However I have been told if you do it right there will be none in the box. I bought mine apart and put it all back together and I'll pay someone to do it next time.....

I wondered about that too. However I have been told if you do it right there will be none in the box. I bought mine apart and put it all back together and I'll pay someone to do it next time.....

Was it that much of a pain? I've never rebuilt one but from the how-to's I've read, it didn't seem that bad but I could be completely wrong.

Was it that much of a pain? I've never rebuilt one but from the how-to's I've read, it didn't seem that bad but I could be completely wrong.
It was my first and only time. Probably had something to do with it. It's a recirculating ball pump. It has 12 or more balls in it that have to be feed into a tube one at a time. IIRC they are 2 different sized balls and are supposed to be put in alternating. Like I said I could be wrong on what I remember but that is how I remember it. Those damn balls about sent me through the roof.

It was my first and only time. Probably had something to do with it. It's a recirculating ball pump. It has 12 or more balls in it that have to be feed into a tube one at a time. IIRC they are 2 different sized balls and are supposed to be put in alternating. Like I said I could be wrong on what I remember but that is how I remember it. Those damn balls about sent me through the roof.

I gotcha. I've been debating doing it myself or just ordering an end cap that's already drilled and tapped and then tapping the top cap myself. This would save the hassle of complete disassembly of the box.

sorry to side track your thread XJsavage

Looking good man! Going old schooool I like it.

I can only imagine how hot it is wrenching in the summer humidity in SC. Forget welding with a jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who wears a jacket when welding....?

Glad to hear all are well.

Enjoying the build thread

Matt

Glad to see you back posting that everyone is ok.

I can see it being great for leaf springs but who wants that! :flipoff2: Was that in the pull a part in Columbia?

As many have noticed, I love outdoor cooking. Over the last few weeks while waiting on Jeep parts I've spent a few hours here and there constructing a fire pitt in the backyard. I do occasionally host lavish yet rowdy cookouts and beerfests at the plantation and decided to build the ultimate of all natural wood-only fire pitts to cook for 20 or more guests and also to get rid of a few hundred tons of extra hardwood laying around. White girl wasted earns free admission. @ghost is not invited, because he's weird. :flipoff2:

Started with pouring a 84x84x4" concrete slab graded with drainage ravines.
View attachment 226468

I wanted the sides to be solid enough to last a few decades out in the weather and to withstand regular heat, so I used 3/8x72x18 steel plates for the sides.

View attachment 226469

Erected and welded.
View attachment 226470

To put the food on I picked up some non-galvanized 10" wide sheets of grating and welded two 84" pieces side by side. Should be plenty of room for a few racks of ribs, venison, whole corn, and hamburgers all at once (between that and the scrap pieces left over).
View attachment 226471
View attachment 226472

Now just waiting on the weather to cool off some.
Way underbuilt. It'll never work. Hahaha.

Back