Propane parts..

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
I kind of like this setup. I'm now thinking about it for my buggy. seems simple and a better alternative than my rats nest of a wiring harness (factory 95 with computer, efi, etc.) on the 351. I'm just not really wanting to run the round cylinders for pane caus they won't fit very well in the back...

Looking good. I'd like to check it out sometime, maybe it'll convince me to run pane

Rob

You could do a fixed mount cylinder (They come in different sizes), but yeah, the fork bottles are a pain in the ass to fit.. I'm having to build a hinged tray above them to hold the tools & cooler... I wanted to keep that weight down low... shouldn't be more than 50lbs, but still.

The capacity increases more with cylinder diameter rather than length... ;) I was VERY impressed with StudNuts' engine when I heard it. he's got a really cammy 360 in his, and it ran like it was fully warmed up, even when it was stone cold.. great throttle response.

I'm hoping to run my idle really low to help minimize driving through the brakes while in gear... like around 500rpm or so. we'll see. my engine is a POS anyway, so I'm sure it'll run better, but still sound like shit.. :p

I thought hes been going through engines?? maybe thats someone else...

My 351 has like 150K miles on it. I don't think it'll hold up to the pane.

Rob

Looking good Rich. I have my Converter and mixer together too. Shut off at rear would mean turning engine more to crank, and you would have more fuel still going into mixer after you shut it off. KC got my bottle conections, they do swivel. I got my tank straps at a fork lift bone yard, $10 for a set of two. Steel tanks $35 each, $175 in the Mixer, converter, and shut off. and about $240 in all the other accessories.

Man, what I'd give for a forklift graveyard.. There are none anywhere near Wake county..

If you can find another tank, I'd like to have a 4th..

For clarification, my bottle connections swivel, the ends on the 1/4" NPT threads don't...but that's the price ya pay for having a connection you can re-make in the field I guess...

Rich said:
I bought the 3 major components as a set on ebay - was pulled from a vehicle. VFF30, Model E, 425 mixer... the 3 most common vehicle components.

Rich, are these the part numbers I should look for? What type of vehicles did they come out of?

Rob

That's a pretty good deal on ebay, then buy the mixer from the propane guy...

Actually, the mixer you need is only $80 (open loop), but then you will need the $25 quadrajet base plate to mount it to the intake...

Rob - Yes, VFF30 = fuel shutoff Model E = converter/regulator 425 = mixer (propane carb). All 3 are made by Impco.

If you are running a holly or change to a holly intake, or, use an adapter plate,the impco 425 will bolt directly to a Holly base plate

i have an edelbrock intake right now. will i need a new intake, or can i get an adapter plate? and rich, the open loop 425 thats on propane guy is the one i need? the one that is $80?

The "adapter plate" you need is a base, to complete the setup. There should be no "Carb adapter" needed for a universal intake like yours. I've got an Edelbrock Performer on mine.

Yes, the open loop is the one. closed loop is much more complex.

Rich said:
Yes, the open loop is the one. closed loop is much more complex.

much more. I attempted to make a electronic controlled closed loop system on mine, just ended up with blown fuses and poor performance.

so i can just order the open loop 425 on this page http://propaneguy.com/www.propaneguy.com/parts.htm, and it will bolt to my current intake?
OHG%20450%20Mixer.jpg

look at that picture. you need a BASE PLATE to complete the setup. either a holley one, or a q-jet one.

Try not to confuse a base plate with an "adapter", even though propane guy calls them that.

Heres a pic Kilby took of my propane components:

Left->Right, Impco 425 Mixer(notice the base plate with throttle adaptor), Model E regulator, VFF30 Lockoff
components.jpg

So, thats basically what I need and it will work fine for a 351?

What do I do with all of my wiring, computer, smog stuff, sensors, etc.???

Rob

rockcity said:
I thought hes been going through engines?? maybe thats someone else...

My 351 has like 150K miles on it. I don't think it'll hold up to the pane.

Rob

Nope, thats me. Simple being, I like the skinny pedal. Im on my 3rd engine now, and hopefully 3rd time is a charm. Long story short, my first engine was just midly built, spun a bearing which threw a rod, second engine was a stocker that just didnt hold up at all. So I took the stocker and I totally did a teardown/rebuild and stroked it out. Im pretty happy with my setup, and for the price of propane setup, it cant be beat by far. The only thing I wish I would have found a 401.

Your 351 should be fine, just make sure youve got good compression and that your valve seals are good.

For your viewing pleasure, heres a vid of me, if you wanted to hear it running.
http://www.flexedout.com/movies/vids/Jon/100_0928.MOV

PS: thanks for the compliment Rich ;)

rockcity said:
can I just remove the O2 sensors, smog pump, etc. from the engine?
and it will be fine?

Rob

If you remove the computer for propane, theres nothing to controll that junk anyway. Youll most likely have to get a non egr intake, but thats about it.

sounds like a cheap way of getting my 351 running versus trying to figure out al the computer stuff and getting that going. And I can get rid of all my smog stuff and will end up with a little more power and less weight.

Rob

Back