Propane parts..

You will still have to have something to control the ignition.
Could retrofit with an earlier distributor and module setup.

ah, now I'm getting answers...

So, I'll just have to get an new distributor also???

what else that I don't know about?
this is a '95 OBD I engine/computer, so what will need to be trashed and what will need to be replaced by older non computer controlled stuff?

I don't mind getting a Centec wiring harness to replace this rats nest of a wiring harness, but what else will I need to trash and replace?

Rob

even without the computer to control it?

I'd hate to commit myself and halfway through I've spent $800 in stuff I didn't know about when I coulda just spend $300 and had the thing running on gas (and with a good form fitting gas tank versus the pane tanks).

Rob

Nah, you have to run propane. All the cool kids do.

I 2nd the Duraspark recommendation. Then all you'd need is a switched hot for ignition. Fawk a wiring harness. You will have to hacknfab a dizzy tho, since the TFI dizzy that's on it will have a roller cam gear and the old-school Duraspark dizzy won't. Just swap the bottoms and you're in business.

so, I still need a distributor? Remember, I'M NO MECHANIC by no means, just a fabricator that can turn a few wrenches when I have to

Rob

rich maybe this should go in the other propane thread in gen tech, but what are you doing for gages?

For the propane? I'm not. drivetrain has oil pressure, water temp, tranny temp, and volts.

so how will you know whats left in the tanks? seems dangerious to fly blind

MOst, not all, propane tanks have a guage on them. It's a trail rig, and not driven on the road a lot. So it don't matter. Would be hard pressed to use two tanks of pane in a day.

yea mine dont have gauges on them and i will still drive it to the trail so i need to know. thinking of running a single guage to the dash and having a manual valve to switch between tanks.

I've "heard" of an electric tank gauge, but haven't seen one. If the engine starts to sputter, I just reach back, close one tank, and open the other. Not likely to happen in one day though.

Besides, everyone at the forklift shop says the gauges on the tanks don't work well, but that's just heresay. My tanks had gauges in them, but one was broken and rattling, so I just replaced it with a pipe plug.

The guage on the tank is as useless as going to the titty bar with no money. I just ran out yesterday at URE and my tank guage still said 1/2.

The only real way would be to weigh the tank. Check on the collar of the tank, it will give the wet/dry weights. IIRC, the wet weight of a steel tank is 70 or 80 lbs.

what's up chip i got my propane kit from u and it works grate i use 2 tanks a day on my 360 thats from about 8:00 or so to about 10:00 or so i use a holly 600 base plate on mine
Redman

StudNuts said:
The guage on the tank is as useless as going to the titty bar with no money. I just ran out yesterday at URE and my tank guage still said 1/2.

The only real way would be to weigh the tank. Check on the collar of the tank, it will give the wet/dry weights. IIRC, the wet weight of a steel tank is 70 or 80 lbs.

what about one of those remote tank guages???

redman said:
what's up chip i got my propane kit from u and it works grate i use 2 tanks a day on my 360 thats from about 8:00 or so to about 10:00 or so i use a holly 600 base plate on mine
Redman

Kewl! Glad it's working out for you. I don't use that much, so far, tank and a half is the most for me so far. I do turn mine off though every chance for any traffic snarls and kodac moments.

rockcity said:
what about one of those remote tank guages???

I have heard of these, but have not seen one yet. As I remember reading, they work off of pressure. So to get it on the dash means extra fuel supply hose and $$.

For the remote gauge you get a sender ( a lot like an oil pres. sender ) that tees into the high pres. line and a light or electric gauge. Most of the ones I have instaled used a light.

A pressure gauge would be useless.. the pressure in the tank remains constant until you are out of liquid. The pressure does change with temperature, but not with amount remaining.

Redman, you use 2 tanks in a day?!?! Crap, I use less than one.

But the built-in gauges really do blow chunks even when they do work, IN OUR APPLICATION.

saw two kits on ebay. used, 4-5 days left, sitting at abot $50 last I checked yesterday. I'm not bidding this time, just thought I'd let anyone know. One is for a chevy the other is for ford. Ford mixer bas plate looks alot like a motorcraft 2100 base plate ;) Search "propane"

Yeah, I have been watching those kits on Ebay, they have gotten rediculous(sp) Used to go for $125 for what we want, now BAM! $300plus. WHen KC first got his, he was paying $75 range. Seems best bet is to go to www.propaneguy.com ( not same as the ebay seller) and get a rebuilt kit for $300. All you need then is a square bore intake. ANd he is a heck of a nice guy to help you! His shipping is $28 bucks to the US too. Seems the gas shortage not only drove the price of gas up here in US but alternatives too.

Back