Pulling Carpet For Hardwood

Thanks for all the expertise! I was hoping youd chime in.

Just out of curiosity, why, from the little you've seen of it do you think it needs refinished? Just wondering what I can look for while doing it to help make our decision. Because refinishing isnt really in the budget right now, we just dont want the carpet to get so bad it messes up the floor underneath. So if it can wait to be refinished that would be great, cause that would likely put a dent in my jeep/gun fund.
From the pic of the corner pulled up I see knife marks from cutting pad and that black residue stuck to the floor says Johnson's Paste Wax has been applied at some point. A fresh coat of poly probably won't stick to the floor. Having the floor stripped and cleaned so it can be top coated will run as much as completely sanding them.

From the pic of the corner pulled up I see knife marks from cutting pad and that black residue stuck to the floor says Johnson's Paste Wax has been applied at some point. A fresh coat of poly probably won't stick to the floor. Having the floor stripped and cleaned so it can be top coated will run as much as completely sanding them.

Alright good info, thanks! It might have to wait a bit, but Ill start pricing it now so I know how bad its gonna hurt.

I second everything that gotwood said, except leaving the pad. Well actually, the pad is a great place to roll up tackstrip, but it will be easier if it's not in the way at the edges. Remove it, so you'll have room to slide/slam the scraper into/ underneath the tack strips.

And pay attention. Locate the tackstrip nails( every 6" or so) and use leverage AT the nail.
Alot of times it'll pop up with nail still in it.

If you pry in between nails...it's likely to break and then you still have to pull the nails and the little pc. of tackstrip that will still be there.

Also..I use a pry bar and slam it under at the nail then pry.
This may hurt you mere mortal hands and will cause blisters. But stick with it.

Last edited:
Buy a set of fresh mechanix gloves if you have those mortal hands... The mPact ones if you miss with the hammer lol. They're worth the extra money over off brand in my book, more dexterity and not quite so stiff and better fit.

I second everything that gotwood said, except leaving the pad. Well actually, the pad is a great place to roll up tackstrip, but it will be easier if it's not in the way at the edges. Remove it, so you'll have room to slide/slam the scraper into/ underneath the tack strips.

And pay attention. Locate the tackstrip nails( every 6" or so) and use leverage AT the nail.
Alot of times it'll pop up with nail still in it.

If you pry in between nails...it's likely to break and then you still have to pull the nails and the little pc. of tackstrip that will still be there.

Also..I use a pry bar and slam it under at the nail then pry.
This may hurt you mere mortal hands and will cause blisters. But stick with it.
I disagree on removing padding . It's nice to crawl around on .I use a flat bar to pull tack strip instead of the scraper. I've broken a couple over the years pulling it up .

I disagree on removing padding . It's nice to crawl around on .I use a flat bar to pull tack strip instead of the scraper. I've broken a couple over the years pulling it up .
Flat bar /pry bar...one in the same to me.

And I could crawl on broken glass, hot asphalt, beds of nails...even those office chair floor mats..flipped over!

Yeah but you forgot Dylan just bends over!

The fun has begun. After an hour, we have one room done.
6cadf8f332135ef5d4b6fd29b1010c9a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2 rooms down
3108272f0ac4b535ca6425ac5cd67eef.jpg

Gettin r done
d7163186a4816dc7663ffede06dacbf7.jpg
cab45df76063dcc001280635322889b2.jpg

Looking great!

I might should have mentioned that if you cut a room of carpet into 3 strips, it'll be a lot easier to handle as you haul it away.
Full size people don't have that problem:flipoff2:

Floors look good. Looks like you got lucky in the black funk stuck to the floors .

Looking great!

I might should have mentioned that if you cut a room of carpet into 3 strips, it'll be a lot easier to handle as you haul it away.
Once it was just me and the wife I cut them in half. My FIL helped us for a couple hours on the first room.

Last edited:
Floors look good. Looks like you got lucky in the black funk stuck to the floors .
Yea, we are happy with it. Will might get it refinished down the road, but for a days work, I'm tickled.

Why anyone would cover up those hardwood floors with carpet is beyond me.
Agreed .Here's my theory on HW floors. People got sick and too old to care for their HW floors. They had to wax and strip and wax them which was very labor intense. When my parents built their house in the 70s they wanted nothing to do with it so everything was carpet and tile.

Today technology has improved finishes and they are much easier to maintain. Even in the last 8-10 years water base finished have improved and become much better than oil finished.

Crap! What's the best way to get this Off? I guess we might refinish after all...
25caa27a20264458f8ca69754f331035.jpg

Crap! What's the best way to get this Off? I guess we might refinish after all...
25caa27a20264458f8ca69754f331035.jpg

P

Sander when you refinish that section. Had something similar in my house. I spent a week after work with a wide wood chisel, putty knife, and a six pack of beer and still didn’t get all of it. I had to get that room refinished

So... #1 WTF was that? Looks like roofing felt... or shingles? :D
#2 What did you do in that space? Re-finish or?
It's an adhesive backed foam, with added glue.

The only way I've been able to get it all off is soapy water and a brillo pad. What I've scrubbed looks great, but most of it still has some foam. It takes about 30 mins to clean roughly a square foot. Our master bedroom has that under the carpet, I haven't had the heart or the time to do it yet.

So... #1 WTF was that? Looks like roofing felt... or shingles? :D
#2 What did you do in that space? Re-finish or?
Current situation.
e92a26b8646e92ff180669a6111ff9f6.jpg

Back