Raising Chickens

Yep. Got my buckets on amazon with those built in. They are a game changer for water. Once one hen pecks at it, they will all learn.

Awesome. I'm thinking of using a pvc pipe instead of buckets. Now I'm wondering if a circulation pump would be needed to keep the water from forming algae?

Awesome. I'm thinking of using a pvc pipe instead of buckets. Now I'm wondering if a circulation pump would be needed to keep the water from forming algae?
If you use pvc, the answer is no. Algae needs sunlight to grow. PVC is opaque. Our buckets do let some light through and we maybe only get algae growth every month or so in the summer. I would advise a way to flush it out occasionally, a drain plug if you will.

We had our first encounter with a hawk that almost got our favorite chicken, but luckily my GF was home at the time and heard them and ran outside and was able to get the hawk to get away. Some lost feathers and a little wound, but she appears to be ok.

Came across these.

View attachment 338116

Seems line they would be cleaner than the cups.

I use those as well, they work great.

Does anybody use a water bar or cup watering system? Our coop is a ways from the house and with a toddler and pregnant wife hauling water out there is starting to be a pain. I was given a plastic barrel (had soap in it) so I was wondering what some good options are. I pitched running water out to the shop, but that didn't fly lol.
I used the cups for a bit, and they just got them nasty. If you want to come this way, I will give you the handful Ive got.

My suggestion is to put gutters on the coop and have it run into the barrel. Put a hose bib on the barrel at the bottom and just refill your waterer from the barrel. As much rain as we get, it'll fill in no time.

For algae, as mentioned, keep the water dark, and you wont have much issues. I get some in the warmer months. I add some ACV to the water, and it seems to help a little. Its good for the chickens too.

I used the cups for a bit, and they just got them nasty. If you want to come this way, I will give you the handful Ive got.

My suggestion is to put gutters on the coop and have it run into the barrel. Put a hose bib on the barrel at the bottom and just refill your waterer from the barrel. As much rain as we get, it'll fill in no time.

For algae, as mentioned, keep the water dark, and you wont have much issues. I get some in the warmer months. I add some ACV to the water, and it seems to help a little. Its good for the chickens too.

Appreciate the offer! If im up that way, I'd at least like to see your setup.

Using the barrel to fill the waterers is definitely a good idea.

Got our nesting boxes started. I need to get some hinges and make the roof raise up. Also need to make a ledge on the inside. But its a start.

View attachment 338033

View attachment 338034

Also put out some ceramic eggs, for two reasons. First, to get them used to the boxes. Second, we've apparently got a egg eater. We also got some oyster shells.

Boxes are looking good. Along with what others said, you might want to put a cover over that, if it doesnt stay dry. They can be particular about it, and the wet shavings will stink.

Since you have a stationary run, throw some wood chip or mulch in there. They will break it down and turn it, and you will have free compost for your garden before long.

Appreciate the offer! If im up that way, I'd at least like to see your setup.

Using the barrel to fill the waterers is definitely a good idea.
Anytime. Just shoot me a note.

I sat an empty barrel under the low corner of one of my sheds. The weather over the weekend filled 15 gal in it. And that is without gutters. I routinely leave empty 5 gal buckets sitting in the drip line of the roof and they will easily fill in no time.

One of these days I will spend the coin and get gutters put on the different buildings and fill the water cubes, so that i can have more water supply around the place.

Boxes are looking good. Along with what others said, you might want to put a cover over that, if it doesnt stay dry. They can be particular about it, and the wet shavings will stink.

Since you have a stationary run, throw some wood chip or mulch in there. They will break it down and turn it, and you will have free compost for your garden before long.

Yea, we got some rain today and I covered it with a plastic sheet.

With our smaller flock the grass stayed up and gave them some ground cover. I do plan to put down some mulch now. Would the asplundh (or whatever it is) wood chips work?

Anytime. Just shoot me a note.

I sat an empty barrel under the low corner of one of my sheds. The weather over the weekend filled 15 gal in it. And that is without gutters. I routinely leave empty 5 gal buckets sitting in the drip line of the roof and they will easily fill in no time.

One of these days I will spend the coin and get gutters put on the different buildings and fill the water cubes, so that i can have more water supply around the place.

I have some gutters that came off another building that I can put up to fill the barrel.

Yea, we got some rain today and I covered it with a plastic sheet.

With our smaller flock the grass stayed up and gave them some ground cover. I do plan to put down some mulch now. Would the asplundh (or whatever it is) wood chips work?
Any un-dyed chips will be fine. One of my chicken houses appears to be almost the same size as yours (color is the same also) and we use the pine chips inside. They get funky and pooped on, they get shoveled out and put in the compost to ferment a while, then its off to the garden.

Any un-dyed chips will be fine. One of my chicken houses appears to be almost the same size as yours (color is the same also) and we use the pine chips inside. They get funky and pooped on, they get shoveled out and put in the compost to ferment a while, then its off to the garden.

X2. Any chips will work fine... If you have some dropped off, and can keep them dry, they will last/work alot longer as bedding. Not a big deal in the run either way.

WTF?

20210218_135833.jpg

Size comparison

20210218_135833.jpg

20210206_122206.jpg

Back