Raising Chickens

Our rooster just constantly screws one of our hens to the point she has lost a good amount of feathers. Going to try and add more hens soon to give him some more variety...

Our rooster just constantly screws one of our hens to the point she has lost a good amount of feathers. Going to try and add more hens soon to give him some more variety...
It'll probably still be his favorite. Check into a chicken saddle is she's rrally bald on her back

It'll probably still be his favorite. Check into a chicken saddle is she's rrally bald on her back
Never even heard of such a thing but buying some now. She's pretty much bald right now. He mounts her 2-3x a day. Wife kinda wants to get rid of him but he's pretty chill around us, does a good job protecting the flock, the neighbors love hearing him etc.

Never even heard of such a thing but buying some now. She's pretty much bald right now. He mounts her 2-3x a day. Wife kinda wants to get rid of him but he's pretty chill around us, does a good job protecting the flock, the neighbors love hearing him etc.
FWIW, I've lost as many hens with the rooster as without. I don't miss hearing his stupid ass at 0400 and all the hens have grown their feathers back.

FWIW, I've lost as many hens with the rooster as without. I don't miss hearing his stupid ass at 0400 and all the hens have grown their feathers back.

I dont miss hearing ours either. Still hear the neighbors, when Im outside. I have thought about getting another, as I would like to stop buying layer chicks.

Not gonna lie, I love hearing hank. But, he doesn't crow at all hours either.

I dont miss hearing ours either. Still hear the neighbors, when Im outside. I have thought about getting another, as I would like to stop buying layer chicks.
The neighbors rooster is the brother to the one we had. They're 200ish yards away and those 2 would start at 0400 and go until dark. Stupid australorp SOB wouldn't shut up. I don't hear the other one that much anymore. As for chicks, out of 21 hens we have not a single one is broody.

The neighbors rooster is the brother to the one we had. They're 200ish yards away and those 2 would start at 0400 and go until dark. Stupid australorp SOB wouldn't shut up. I don't hear the other one that much anymore. As for chicks, out of 21 hens we have not a single one is broody.

We have 1-2 Buffs that will go broody on occasion. We also have 3 silkies that take turns being broody. For that reason, they have their own coop, so they dont rub off on the other birds.

We have 1-2 Buffs that will go broody on occasion. We also have 3 silkies that take turns being broody. For that reason, they have their own coop, so they dont rub off on the other birds.
Other than occasionally broody, how do you like your buffs? Wife is wanting some buffs and/or wyandottes this spring.

Other than occasionally broody, how do you like your buffs? Wife is wanting some buffs and/or wyandottes this spring.
I have no reason not to like them really. They only go broody about 1-2 times per year. I hear it is hit or miss with them. They are pretty skiddish, but Im not looking for pets. I like them more than my leghorns but less than the delaware and comets. Im wanting to get some brahmas, but the wife isnt onboard. Will likely be something that lays a chocolate egg.

Got this little setup today. Free fiddy.

20210509_161722.jpg

Thinking a few bantams would go good in here.

Last edited:
very nice. They will likely start perching on top of your roof, as they like to get as high as possible.

Also, plan to throw some wood chips in there, as they will decimate the grass pretty quick, unless you are planning to drag it around.

very nice. They will likely start perching on top of your roof, as they like to get as high as possible.

Also, plan to throw some wood chips in there, as they will decimate the grass pretty quick, unless you are planning to drag it around.
Yeah it is made to move on the skids. All of the 4x4 bottom wood is lagged together and has angled braces, very tough so far. I move it with the tractor, the coop replaced drums where they were sleeping until recently.

I have added some vents at the highest point in the coop on each end. I shut the door on windy cold nights and moisture and ammonia need to have a way out. Supposedly if it is above their heads it won’t cause drafts, they were happy and flappy when I let them out this morning in the brisk 25° windy morning....they just are not affected much by cold temps as long as their aren’t drafts/wind blowing on their feathers.

Summer I can prop the roof up for getting rid of heat.

I bought some silver HD tarps aprox 7x9 and have them blocking wind from the enclosure on about half. Not planning on heat, my sister is the chicken whisperer and says they don’t need heat. I haven’t had birds in about 10 years, remembering and relearning stuff now.

Here is the setup before I built this little coop. Nothing is on the ground except the skids.

IMG_1697.jpeg
IMG_1698.jpeg
IMG_1699.jpeg

Last edited:
we have 14 hens and a big old candy corn polish rooster. I was worried about the cold weather. I went out and checked them at about 30*. I bet it was 80* inside the huddle.

Back when I had chickens we were considering doing a Soldier fly bucket. It was just a bucket with a ramp along inside of bucket. Larvae would climb up the ramp and drop to the ground where chickens were waiting. Seemed like a great way to cut down on feed costs and healthy for the chickens. I know we have those type flies here... Has anyone here tried it and if so how did it produce?

Last edited:
dem make some great brown eggs! where did you get them?

Any advice on how to get our rooster to stop attacking me? He's fine with pretty much everyone else but me. He's a dick (but the videos are pretty hilarious after I catch my breath 😑
View attachment 409527
View attachment 409528
I used to have a Buff Orpington rooster who was a terror. They are typically friendly but that butthole would jump in the air and kick you 4 times on the way down. I gave him to a dude who needed a big aggressive bird.

I used to have a Buff Orpington rooster who was a terror. They are typically friendly but that butthole would jump in the air and kick you 4 times on the way down. I gave him to a dude who needed a big aggressive bird.
My mom can pick him up & carry him around with no issues. Meanwhile, he'll hide under a vehicle & attack me. I even tried a truce with sweet corn 🤣

Back