Random pic thread.

I have reservations on poking through the roof. Did you use nice "s" bends or some 90* fittings? I going to do something but have also contemplated Gas of somesort........but that means a big tank. I got plenty of trees to keep cleaned up and I enjoy sawing when I have the time.
I'm white trash so I just did 2 90's and let it ride. I haven't had a problem with it drafting so I assume all is well.

I have reservations on poking through the roof. Did you use nice "s" bends or some 90* fittings? I going to do something but have also contemplated Gas of somesort........but that means a big tank. I got plenty of trees to keep cleaned up and I enjoy sawing when I have the time.
img_20201222_135218990-jpg.333749

img_20201229_111116895-jpg.334344

I would go through the wall if you can. Roof holes always seem to leak and cause problems.

^^^
I think he means your awesome stove.
Ooohh. Homemade lol. The door is from a wood fired tobacco barn. Probably 70 or 80 yrs old. The rest was just slapped together. I have a multi speed HVAC fan on the back blowing around the firebox.

If you go to put one in let me know. I have installed thousands of boots on furnace vents through metal roofs and never had a call back on the boots we use.

Joining the stove discussion. I just put one in this summer. I used the duratech duravent system. I went straight up trying to get the best draft was my intent and trying to avoid negotiating the soffit and roof angle going up the side of the house if I went out a wall. That was the orginal plan to go out the wall but it was almost 1K less in materials for the class A pipe to go straight up. One question I had (maybe you have some thoughts @Tom@Hilltop_Machine since I see you used the same pipe), the black single wall pipe from the stove to the cathedral ceiling thimble is just a slip joint install. It's tight I guess for what it is but the way it is oriented (top pipe slips inside the lower pipe), it seems to me there would be a smoke escape. I have not burned it yet. The only thing I can guess is the draft going up will actually pull the smoke up rather than escaping the pipe connections. Anyone got any experience on that? It's an engineered system so I hope the damn thing works correctly.

1633351851239.png

In our house plans, the stove pipe exits dead center of the peak of a steel 12/12 roof. What system or boot is the way to perfectly seal that? I prefer a straight pipe and the design doesn’t allow for a wall exit to look nice.

In our house plans, the stove pipe exits dead center of the peak of a steel 12/12 roof. What system or boot is the way to perfectly seal that? I prefer a straight pipe and the design doesn’t allow for a wall exit to look nice.
Not ideal but if that's where you want it than it can be made water tight. Assuming you are doing standing seam metal, I would use tall z closures on the panels affected by the pipe and put a flat sheet field bent on the z closures and then install the boot ontop of that. Clear as mud?

If it was my house I would build a fake chimney to house the pipe in the peak and flash it as a normal chimney. Think of a little cupola.

Last edited:
Pictures don't do that justice even standing in it. Unless you're like 10 ft tall...

Pictures don't do justice to any of the stuff that we saw out west. Moab, Grand Canyon, the Sequoia's, the Sierra Nevada's. It was definitely a have to be there kind of place.

I'm 6'4" just as a reference.

Pictures don't do justice to any of the stuff that we saw out west. Moab, Grand Canyon, the Sequoia's, the Sierra Nevada's. It was definitely a have to be there kind of place.

I'm 6'4" just as a reference.
I know. I went last year but my wife wasn't able to go. Trying to figure out how to get back out there next summer with her and the kids.

I know. I went last year but my wife wasn't able to go. Trying to figure out how to get back out there again next summer without her and the kids.
FIFY

Where did you get the chimney? Can you get pictures of the way you went through the roof?
Here is the outside tee. The kit did not come with the outside chimney sections. Ordered those and waiting on them. The kit did come with the cap and straps. The bottom has a clean out door.
tee.jpg

I was working on my Jeep today, and needed to roll one of my tires out of the way. My Ram was sitting right there with the wheel off, so I couldn't resist. 40's and no lift looks perfect.

PXL_20211004_174020638.jpg

Poor ZJ

Screenshot_20211004-193332_Facebook.jpg

Back