Random pic thread.

Caught this little know Engine, collecting used ties, out in the Albemarle Rd./ Harrisburg Rd. Tie replacement was ongoing along Pence Rd. I figured They were who collected the used ties. Reading their History, I believe they were on their Own line, & probably contracted the work. Interesting read & very short video.
They run a spur line down to my neck of the woods in Aberdeen and up toward candor to the Mountaire chicken place (possibly further) I love seeing them out on the rail and when I pass them I always tooot-tooot the horn on my truck and they always toot toot back at me. Always gets my inner 5 yr old smiling!!

These must be some expensive welds

1689161166946.png

I'm not a smart man, but I think I could have figured out an easier way to access that area than those fellas. Like, a boom lift? Or a crane and a man basket?
Maybe that guy is just really into repelling and wanted a good excuse to bilk them for extra cost

Went to look for arrowheads an another new suburban w "Ranch homes" they're building off Holly Springs south of Lilly Atkins. I didn't find any arrowheads but I found this stump from a hollow Poplar. It was about 9' where it was cut, the roots were about 14'. I was mad because drove past there many times and wanted to go there just to look around before they destroyed the mature forest. I'm sorrow that I didn't go there and get pics of the huge tree.
20230519_150806.jpg
20230519_150848.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe that guy is just really into repelling and wanted a good excuse to bilk them for extra cost
Judging by the helmet stickers, this is the most likely scenario.

JLG ultra boom goes 185 ft
I’ve been up in one of those as high as it will go. Not my favorite thing. I’ve been almost 400’ in a crane basket and would do that any day over a JLG at 100’.

I’ve been up in one of those as high as it will go. Not my favorite thing. I’ve been almost 400’ in a crane basket and would do that any day over a JLG at 100’.
I got stuck in a 185' lift in downtown charlotte. It rocked too hard and the safety sensor shut it down. Had to be overridden from the ground. Wouldnt have been too bad, except it was august at lunchtime.

I got stuck in a 185' lift in downtown charlotte. It rocked too hard and the safety sensor shut it down. Had to be overridden from the ground. Wouldnt have been too bad, except it was august at lunchtime.
Hell. No.

Not so sure I'd want to do this for a few reasons but interesting filler.....

View attachment 400464

When we built our first house in 2002, the contractor did our driveway....double wide, 60 long, WWM over gravel base. Joints cut every 10', etc.

My mexican neighbor had a concrete business, so he poured his own driveway. Every piece of scrap metal you could imagine was laid down....refridgerator shelves, chain-link fencing, etc.

20 years later when we left...my drive had cracks halfway between all the cut joints. His was still perfectly intact.

Back